PDA

View Full Version : need help with crushed stone driveway estimate

Emerscape
07-19-2005, 09:45 AM
A customer that had me do an asphalt repair job wants me to re-do a crushed stone driveway. The driveway is currently overgrown and will have to be leveled out with a skidsteer. The driveway is a total of approx. 1500sq feet. I will have to rent a skidsteer for approx 200 dollars. THe material calculator gave me the following amounts:
1" = 4.6 yds or 6.9 tons @ $25 per ton= $172.50
1.5"= 6.9yds or 10.35 tons @ $25= $258.75
2"= 9.3 yds or 13.95 tons @ $25 = $348.75
2.5" = 11.6 yds or 17.4 tons @$25= $435.00

the stone varies between $16 and $23 dollars depending on what kind the customer wants. The logistics of everything i can do but the actuall estimating has been the hard part for me. Im estimating that is gonna take me 4-6 hours to complete the project.. (sounds like a long time but since i underestimated grossly the last time i thought id be more liberal) so I stuck with 6 hours @ $ 50 an hour and estimated the skidsteer at 275 dollars. What depth do I need to go with ? Im assuming that 2.5” is too deep. Also below is a breakdown of what I would charge the customer ( I had to put it in excel becuase it wouldnt come out right on the page). Tell me what you think.

Any help would be greatly appreciated . Also any thoughts on using weed fabric?

Emerscape
07-19-2005, 10:08 AM
sorry I guess I was too slow. here it is . sorry i ended up having to put it into word

Electra_Glide
07-19-2005, 01:53 PM
Emerscape,

Are you going to be completely removing the existing driveway and starting over, or are you just adding additional stone on top of what's already there and regrading? If you're removing the existing driveway, have you thought about what you're going to do with the excavated material?

I would do nothing LESS than 4" of stone, and 6" preferred. If you're just adding some additonal stone to what's already there then your numbers look fine, otherwise they look a little light.

Are you asking about weed fabric just for controlling the weeds or are you thinking of using it for soil stabilization? If it's the former, I wouldn't bother as it's probably going to get plently of punctures as you install the stone. If it's the latter, then you really want to be looking at a Geotex fabric: http://www.usfabricsinc.com/products/wovenstabilization.shtml

Joe

Emerscape
07-19-2005, 03:40 PM
i was planning on taking out about 2-3 inches of the existing drivewway as it is in total need of re-grading. as far as excavating the material the place im getting the crushed stone will take it for a 25 dollar dump fee. as far as weed fabric i had considered it for just weeds but its too costly for these people. 6 inches of stone sounds like a lot

freddyc
07-19-2005, 04:53 PM
I think you can get more for it. Also, how hard packed is the drive now?? If its really packed tight, the skid steer might have trouble loosening it up...if not, piece of cake.

Emerscape
07-19-2005, 05:22 PM
the driveway is pretty packed but i was going to bring a toothbucket attacment with me to rip up the hard areas.

Emerscape
07-19-2005, 09:29 PM
do u think that im going light on the money part or the stone application. i appreciate the help. i was hoping to submit the bid by tomorrow (wednesday)

rick2752
07-19-2005, 11:57 PM
The stone is probably 3/4 in material it is nearly impossible to lay in half inches. I would put at least 4 inches down and use a limestone material if available. As it crushes down the dust becomes a filler between stones and lasts longer.

Emerscape
07-20-2005, 12:15 AM
well i inputed the information @ a thickness of 4". total material is 18.5 yds or 27.75 tons .. a material cost of $693.75 + $275.00 (skidsteer)+ $300 (labor) for a total of $1268.75... how does that sound ?

Electra_Glide
07-20-2005, 10:15 AM
well i inputed the information @ a thickness of 4". total material is 18.5 yds or 27.75 tons .. a material cost of $693.75 + $275.00 (skidsteer)+ $300 (labor) for a total of $1268.75... how does that sound ?
Are you picking up the stone or having it delivered? If you're picking it up, you need to add that in as well since it will cost you both time and fuel, and with an F450 you're talking about multiple trips. You also mentioned dump fees at the material yard for the excavated material. I didn't see that factored into your bid.

For comparison, I signed up a similar job a few weeks ago for a 3150 sq. ft. driveway, and I'm charging the guy $2800 (4" of 2B limestone, which I can get for about $17/ton delivered). All the excavated material is staying on-site, so no hauling or dump fees.

Hope this helps...

Joe

Emerscape
07-20-2005, 10:57 AM
electra glide.. i sent u a pm.. thanks for the help so far

Emerscape
07-21-2005, 01:29 AM
hey electra glide. did my estimate for material sound good for the 4". approx 18.5 yds or 27.75 tons for 1500sq feet. i plugged 1500sq feet into a material calculator and thats what i got.. just wanna make sure before i go ahead and do this .
thanks
pete

Electra_Glide
07-21-2005, 09:07 AM
hey electra glide. did my estimate for material sound good for the 4". approx 18.5 yds or 27.75 tons for 1500sq feet. i plugged 1500sq feet into a material calculator and thats what i got.. just wanna make sure before i go ahead and do this .
thanks
pete
Yep...it's all good.

I'll put all the math in here in case somebody comes along later and is trying to figure out how you got those numbers:

4" of cover is 0.333 ft.

1500 * 0.333 = 500 cu.ft.

There are 27 cu.ft. in a cu.yd.

500 / 27 = 18.51 cu.yds.

Stone weighs roughly 1.5 tons per cu.yd.

18.51 * 1.5 = 27.78 tons.

Since the material yard will only give it to you in 1-ton increments, bid it with 28 tons, and you're all set.

Good luck with the project and make sure to let us know how it turns out.

Take care and be safe...

Joe

Emerscape
07-21-2005, 07:58 PM
dropped off the estimate tonight with the homeowner... hope he takes it... i took another look at the secondary driveway.. its been compacted quite a bit but i was planning on using a toothbucket on the skidsteer for breaking up.. I should be alright right?

this is what i get from going from a high end landscape company to a commercial and low end residential company.. ive forgotten all my plant ids and some of the simple things. ahhh :realmad:

Emerscape
07-25-2005, 01:57 AM
dropped the bid off a couple days ago. got a call from the client who wants to see a previously installed driveway. my previous boss has something similar but since im from CT the client cant go back to CT to see any of my work, and i dont want him snooping around my previous boss's property.. i told him i could bring him pictures but he wants to see it in person.... i think im gonna bring up a 5 gallon pail of 3/4" stone and dig a 2'x2'x4" hole and show him what it will be like... god i hate when people try to nickel and dime u to do it the half assed way.. i dont like my work looking like garbage because the client was too cheap....by the way i quoted him at $1500 for natural stone and 1700 for blue stone... material costs were high and at 28 tons u can imagine...

freddyc
08-02-2005, 10:26 AM
I was wondering if you got the job??

Sounds like they are concerned or at least are looking for some assurance that you did this before. Did you make that 2 x 2 sample and did it go over well???? That sounds like a great idea.

Emerscape
08-16-2005, 11:20 PM
well the client just got back from vegas. i called and said i would stop by this week with the stone. i have a feeling that the client really wants reprocessed asphalt because its cheap and he doesnt want to spend the money. now im debating wether i will do the job.. i pride myself on quality and im just not sure i want to put my name on that if its reprocessed asphalt.. but then again i am hurting for the money