PDA

View Full Version : How much pay per sq. ft. for sealing?

m0i0k0e
07-19-2005, 12:59 PM
Hello everyone,

I am a homeowner in Maryland, and I wanted to know how much should I expect to pay to have my driveway sealed. The driveway way installed in February of 2004 and is in need of sealing. I can see cracks on the edges.
It is around 3000 square foot, give or take.

I've had a few different guys with a pickup truck and a sprayer on the back of their trucks pop up in my neighborhood. One guy says he could do mine for $450, but told me if he had to come back he would have to charge me $650 because the prices were going up the next day from his supplier!
So, I declined because I suspected he was just going to spray thinned out black stuff on my driveway. However, lots of my neighbors jumped right on it and it appears as though it may have worked out for them? Who know?

The next guy told my neighbor $20 dollars a gallon and he said he needed 20 gallons for his driveway which is at least 2-1/2 times shorter than my driveway. My neighbors had the work done and it was $400 total. My neighbor thought I would need maybe 50 gallons for my driveway. That would be $1000.

Anyway, I really need to get this done and I was wondering what is a fair price for the job and how will I know if the product is worth the money I spend. Since this isn't my business, I am totally ignorant when it comes to driveway sealing.

Can anyone give me some guidelines or direction on this?

Thanks in advance for any and all responses.

Mdirrigation
07-21-2005, 08:58 AM
No one thats a respectable business prices by the gallon , prices for material are not jumping fast . And in Maryland you have to be a licensed home improvement contractor with a valid MHIC. . The material is coal tar emulsion . The finished job should look flat black , not gloss.
We added sealing 8 years ago , and have never knocked on a door for work , there is never "extra " material , its good all summer as long as it doesnt freeze.

You say you have 3000 sq feet , so thats basically 10 by 300 , some of that could be sprayed , but the areas near the garage and house need to be brushed.
Thats about a 700 to 1000 dollar job , the cracks along the edges will always be there , there are crack sealers but they dont stop the cracks. They will always happen along the edge .

You are too far from me , call a sealmaster distributor near you and get a name of a contractor in the area.

jlewis
07-22-2005, 11:18 AM
The driveway is 18 months old, why does it need sealing? The Asphalt Institute does not recommend sealing a low traffic "properly installed" pavement for 3 - 10 years. See info here. (http://www.asphaltinstitute.org/ai_pages/FAQs/Asphalt_Chip_Seals_Surface_Treatments_FAQs.asp#Seal-Coats#Seal-Coats) A residential driveway should not need it for at least 5 years IMO.

PROCUT1
07-22-2005, 02:13 PM
No one thats a respectable business prices by the gallon , prices for material are not jumping fast . And in Maryland you have to be a licensed home improvement contractor with a valid MHIC. . The material is coal tar emulsion . The finished job should look flat black , not gloss.
We added sealing 8 years ago , and have never knocked on a door for work , there is never "extra " material , its good all summer as long as it doesnt freeze.

You say you have 3000 sq feet , so thats basically 10 by 300 , some of that could be sprayed , but the areas near the garage and house need to be brushed.
Thats about a 700 to 1000 dollar job , the cracks along the edges will always be there , there are crack sealers but they dont stop the cracks. They will always happen along the edge .

You are too far from me , call a sealmaster distributor near you and get a name of a contractor in the area.

$700 - $1000 you MUST be talking about repaving the driveway not sealing it.

Thats like .30sq ft .... More than triple that you can get around here

Mdirrigation
07-22-2005, 08:35 PM
$700 - $1000 you MUST be talking about repaving the driveway not sealing it.

Thats like .30sq ft .... More than triple that you can get around here

Thats why I dont live where you do . Re paving $ 2.00 a sq foot , $ 3000.00 minimum charge .

Mdirrigation
07-22-2005, 08:59 PM
The driveway is 18 months old, why does it need sealing? The Asphalt Institute does not recommend sealing a low traffic "properly installed" pavement for 3 - 10 years. See info here. (http://www.asphaltinstitute.org/ai_pages/FAQs/Asphalt_Chip_Seals_Surface_Treatments_FAQs.asp#Seal-Coats#Seal-Coats) A residential driveway should not need it for at least 5 years IMO.

It doesnt need sealing at all . Trim on a house doesnt need to be painted . Sealing with coal tar is preventative measure that extends the life of asphalt and looks good when done . Thats the main reason customers want sealing , for that jet black finish . The general rule about sealing asphalt is the water bead test . If you pour a cup of water on the surface and it doesnt bead it can be sealed. You have to wait for the oils of the new material to work off.

zapy
07-25-2005, 11:56 AM
I just paid $500 to get mine done. The guy showed up out of nowhere claiming a deal while he was around.

I went for it after verifying his materials (Star-seal supreme), mnaufacturer's suggested application instructions etc.

My drive is 575' long x 10' wide plus a 30x20 additional parking area. That's 6350 sq, feet. 12.7 cents per sq. ft.

The applicator claims a 5 year warranty. The job looks pretty good. I'm happy with it.

SealAndCoat
07-25-2005, 01:37 PM
The proper way to seal coat never before sealed pavement is two light coats. Either 2 by squeegee or brush or 1 squeegee and 1 brush (i prefer the 2nd since the squeegee lets you get it into all the nooks and crannies and the spray will let you put a nice coat on top where it gets the most wear. High traffic areas like gas station entrance/exits and fast food places would be best with 3 coats.

If it was me doing your driveway i'd probably chage you .20 cents a foot for the first coat and .18 for the 2nd. If you dont have any cracks and only required a basic cleaning/prep without any major dirt, you would probably expect to pay $600 for the first coat and $540 for the 2nd, for a total of $1140 Seems a bit high, that is a rather large driveway, so i would probably cut you a break and do it for less.

Always be careful when somebody knocks on your door. I'm sure some legit companies do this, but there are lots of fly-by-night scam artists out there too. They will do an inferior job and maybe even spray water-downed sealer and you won't get a quality result.

onahill
07-25-2005, 05:45 PM
In North East MN, the rates for just sealing with minimal prep are $85 to $100 for 1,000sq ft. :waving: and we have an $100 minimum on all jobs.

m0i0k0e
07-26-2005, 11:58 AM
Thanks for all of the replies and comments!

I called around and spoke to a contractor that says he charges .10 sq/ft. It turns out my driveway is is more like 5300 sq/ft. (12' wide and the pad next to the garage added on) So, he was going to charge me $535, but he's cutting me a little slack and will do it for $485. We'll see how it turns out?

I appreciate all of the comments, because I have a learned a great deal about sealing while researching this project.

firedude26
07-27-2005, 12:34 AM
just had a guy drop by and give a quote for .08 per sq ft.

promower
08-07-2005, 12:46 PM
$485 sounds cheap, are they doing 2 coats? If not you will have thin areas that will show up whens it dryes. Make sure they scrub the driveway very good with steel bristles and brooms and blowers also otherwise all your sealer wont stick.

start2finish
08-27-2005, 08:51 PM
Thats why I dont live where you do . Re paving $ 2.00 a sq foot , $ 3000.00 minimum charge .

man we get 4'' concrete poured for $2.10/ft here. One of my subs will do that for me, I usually mark it up a little and charge for backfill and seeding. WOW! How much is concrete there???

Mdirrigation
08-28-2005, 10:03 AM
man we get 4'' concrete poured for $2.10/ft here. One of my subs will do that for me, I usually mark it up a little and charge for backfill and seeding. WOW! How much is concrete there???

They are getting 8 to 10 a sq ft to pour and finish including the concrete , concrete is running 95 to 110 per cubic yard .

yankeeyardworks
12-11-2005, 01:14 AM
Evryone Watch Out For The Gypsy Pavers There Evrywhere Product Sucks And They Are Never Seen Again

gslawncare
12-23-2005, 01:58 PM
Commercially speaking the 05 rate was .045 cents per foot. one coat sprayed. I charge for resi. about 12-20 cents per foot. I add sand, no sprayer, and the sealer is so thick I go back about every 2 years. so for instance the 10x300 would cost, +- 360 to 600. You really have to feel out your customers and the big key is how busy you'll actually be. If you have 3 driveways a day, go for the low. If the client is the type that wants to set up a date and wants to stand by and watch(old people love watching) charge the mid price. If it's a competition type job, go low. The truth about sealcoating is, it's the easiest best paying job out there, by far.
You can really smoke someone if they have no clue. It the selling that gets the high paying jobs. My flyers are all info. I promote the supplier, because their material really is the best(BrewerCOTE all the way). Put a price on the flyer and the only calls you get is When can you do it?

Pave_A_Lot
09-03-2006, 08:51 PM
We charge $.30 sq ft. for 1,000 sq ft. or smaller $.15-.20 for any larger. Driveways get two coats, parking lots get two-three coats depending on traffic flow and on all projects we use 4.5-5lbs/Gallon silica sand.

ChicagoSeal
09-08-2006, 03:35 AM
Yea, Brewer is great. Never had a complaint so haven't had a reason to try the others here (Sealmaster, Amguard, Tarconite).

It really varies what people charge in my neck of the woods.

There's the thin spray guys that run "legit" companies as far as registration, licensing, ect. but they charge 3 cents a square foot and it won't last a winter.

Then there's sprayers I know that charge 9 cents a square foot and will do every job differently. Some jobs they will throw on two thicker coats, some will be one thin, it depends on traffic and what they think the customer wants.

I have standard rates for driveways, starting at 10 cents a square foot for something that doesn't need to be sealed (I get a lot of those here in Chicago) up to about 15-18 cents if it's more pourous. I try to sell people with unsealed asphalt on double seals, but half the time they just want the single seal, which is the more expensive one for me (bc of all the sealer it is using) so I try to keep the prices rewarding for a double coat.

I just started my own company this year, so my prices on commercial vary depending on what the job requires, surface condition, ect.

Next year I'm going to offer semi-standard rates from everything to Economy Seals (single spray coat) to double sprays, to squeegie to single coat reinforced (double heavy areas). I like to give options to commercial customers, since they are usually smarter than the average and take the time to listen and comprehend what you are saying. Homeowners can be difficult.

NPCA
09-23-2006, 03:11 PM
We will just note that this has been the wildest year in history for materials shortages, price increases, etc. It has had even experienced contractors "pulling their hair out". (Two weeks ago one of our members had to put off $100K of year-end work until spring because his supplier "ran out" and the only other product he could get was of unsuitable quality for him).
We noticed a post mentioning Brewer. We do not endorse or recommend any one product or brand over another but we have had much feedback on our forums that Brewer switched to a new "blend" of coal tar and asphalt a couple of months ago due to the shortage of coal tar and have had some price increases. It may be a fine product; but if you are buying Brewer today it's not the same Brewer formula that has many years as an established name with experience, today it's different than as little as 3-4 months ago.
This has happened to virtually all other major manufacturers like STAR, NEYRA, SealMaster, etc. and all have had to deal with it in their own ways.
Some have taken the approach that they have "saved" their normal material for their biggest customers (100-200K+ gallons per year) others only have one grade of material when they usually have 2 or 3, others are trying the "blends", everybody and even different locations of the same "brand" are different.
We currently have inquiries out to several major manufacturers to develop an article for what they predict the situation will be like in the spring (continued shortages, different formulas, price instability, etc. or if it will be more "back to normal") We hope to have such an article in the next month or so, however soon we can get input back from them and compile it into an article.

We just thought we would mention this since some contractors have had as much as a 50% increase in materials cost since spring of this year so any talk of pricing should be tempered with the fact that as of today nobody knows what it will be like next week, much less next year...:confused:

paveking515
04-21-2007, 10:03 PM
hi I'm a paver from new england region and guess what I'm a gypsy and i go door to door in the winter time and i don't scam people i do it because i need to feed my family and you don't like it the stick to a dirt or stone driveway or pave it yourself. just because one gypsy scams that don't mean all of us scam.

toddq33
04-22-2007, 11:49 AM
Jeesh talk about digging up an old post