PDA

View Full Version : Lawns add profit to new homes

MowingInAZ
07-20-2005, 01:43 AM
Just a little story I would like to share.

I buy cheap houses in great locations and renovate them into wealthy residences and this is a story about how a yard improved my profit. I bought a $320,000 home in Paradise Valley, AZ (upscale city) and spent around $180,000 to make it into someones dream home.
Well after I had finished with everything the residence was 4 Bedrooms, 5 bathrooms and 3800 square feet (appx). I had shown the house to a few people and so far nobody had been extremely interested ( I was asking $750,000). So I took a look at the exterior and saw 1 thing it was missing, a beautiful lawn. It already had 2/3 acre of lawn, but it wasn't taken care of properly and looked horrible.
I spent around $6000 more to re sod it and have a sprinkler system installed and after the lawn had grown to be a normal lawn and not just little green specs of lawn, I put it on the market again.
About 2 weeks later, a few more couples took a look at the property and commented on the lawn (I was very happy), and one particular couple had fallen in love with the newly renovated house and the great exterior. At that point I had it listed for $815,000 to cover all the fees for maintenence and they didn't even try to haggle, wrote me a check for the full amount. Just wanted to share a story on how a nice lawn made me a lot of profit.

MowingInAZ
07-20-2005, 02:02 AM
I forgot to mention that I didn't do this alone, I accually hired a few people i know to help out with the project.

LawnMowerBoy48
07-26-2005, 12:45 AM
certainly made a nice chunk of change with that project. Has anyone ever considered doing that kind of work during the winter. Buy a house late fall, have you summer employees work on it during the winter. Throw in a new lawn and landscape in the spring and then sell.

CuttingCrew
07-29-2005, 02:53 AM
A nice lawn and landscape job can add 10% to 15% to the value of a home. Common knowledge to Realtors. (mom's a Realtor)

Mike

Mo Green
07-29-2005, 08:48 AM
I wish I could write a check for $815,000.......and not worry about it bouncing.

TWUllc
08-07-2005, 07:42 PM
I wish I could write a check for $815,000.......and not worry about it bouncing.

:dizzy: You and me both. :dizzy:

General Landscaping
08-08-2005, 12:37 AM

I could write one..... it would'nt bounce......

BUT.... it would fly like a rocket out of control, crash, burn, implode, explode, jump three county lines and kill a bus load of nuns.

If you're gonna write a bad check... might as well make it a good one :D

scraper69
08-11-2005, 07:34 AM
I thoght about doing this.. just dont know how to go about it... getting the mortgage to getting the right location that will sell..asap. YOu hate to have to sit on it and lose money??? who else has tried this?