PDA

View Full Version : Large construction bid help

cklands
07-20-2005, 01:55 PM
I have the opportunity to bid on a job the consists of about 300 trees and shrubs and 30k in lawn. I have always focused on the landscape maintenance. I have dabbled with small construction jobs and usually ended up charging 2-3 times the cost of materials. My question is that with a job of this size if I priced it that way will I end way out of the ball park or even worse...sell myself short? The builder is going to supply and spread the loam. I would be responsible for rake and seed, supplying and planting the shrubs and suppling and spreading mulch. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

sheshovel
07-20-2005, 03:07 PM
Sounds like this job is a bit out of your range of expeirience.
I would pass if I were you or sub it out to somebody that's been doing it longer.Yes 2 to 3 times is the norm,but the bigger the job the more of a discount they should get.
We are not talking retail price here but contractors price,I mean if you get 20% off your Tree's and your price is say
$25.00ea retail is 30.00 then you triple it that's 120.00 per tree installed.5gallon tree.

cklands
07-20-2005, 04:17 PM
Sounds like this job is a bit out of your range of expeirience.
I would pass if I were you or sub it out to somebody that's been doing it longer

This guy does a boat load of these things. Another part of my family is doing the framing for this guy and he wants me to do his landscaping. There is no way I would sub it out to someone else and risk losing the whole thing. I have worked for large companies in the past that have done much larger projects. I have the experience to do the job, I just need a little direction in the pricing ways for the large jobs.
I run 2 maintenance crews and would like to expand into the construction. I never bid on the large construction jobs in the past because I am a firm believer in focusing on one thing at a time. Well I did that and the maintenance is doing great. No I would like to focus on the construction.

neversatisfiedj
07-20-2005, 10:13 PM
cklands go for it. You will never take on the big jobs if you don't just plunge into it. Go over your numbers 4 times and make sure they all come out the same and go for it ! My .02 of course.

LawnMowerBoy48
07-26-2005, 11:33 PM
CK where in Mass are you? I am from Stow.

cklands
07-27-2005, 03:04 PM
Foxboro area

buffalo bill
07-27-2005, 08:19 PM
How many trees? How many shrubs? Is there easy access to the
planting area? What size caliper/root ball are the trees?

cklands
07-27-2005, 08:56 PM
There are about 30 trees, the plans call for 1.5 to 2" caliper B&B, The rest are shrubs that call for call for 18-24" and a few arbs and hemlocks that are 3-4' in height. The sight is very accessable. The fronts of all buildings are only off the street by about 10 feet. The backs are where the parking lot is going to be. Again between the buildings and lot will only be 10' at the most.

buffalo bill
07-27-2005, 09:09 PM
There are about 30 trees, the plans call for 1.5 to 2" caliper B&B, The rest are shrubs that call for call for 18-24" and a few arbs and hemlocks that are 3-4' in height. The sight is very accessable. The fronts of all buildings are only off the street by about 10 feet. The backs are where the parking lot is going to be. Again between the buildings and lot will only be 10' at the most.
How many hands do you have? I would assume the plant materials are being
delivered and unloaded by the nursery, How much mulch are you talking
about?

cklands
07-28-2005, 08:13 PM
I have 5 guys and am looking at about 30 yrds of mulch. Yes the the shrubs will be delivered and unloaded.

buffalo bill
07-29-2005, 01:46 AM
I take it you are digging by hand. See if you can rent one of these
in your town http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/images/191180_lg.jpg
I welcome you to email me and we can narrow this down. I don't
agree it's over your head. You have to start somewhere. This is an
ideal opportunity for you. Don't be afraid to make top dollar.