PDA

View Full Version : 3 point hitch aerator?

tnpete
07-21-2005, 02:58 PM
Anyone use a 3 point hitch aerator? I may be picking up one that is 7 ft wide and made for a tractor.
Will look at it this weekend.
Any kind to stay away from? Or problems to look at ?
Thanks in advance
Pete

MOW ED
07-21-2005, 03:26 PM
I have a Mits tractor (15 hp diesel) and I exclusuvely use a 48" Classen aerator that is 3 point hitch mounted. I had to add about 250 lbs to the front of the tractor but it works well. I can do 5000 sq ft lawns as well as 5 acres. A 7 footer would be quite large but if you are doing acreage and you wont bury the tractor then go for it. I have turf tires on the tractor but the tractor isn't very large to start with.

tnpete
07-21-2005, 05:19 PM
Thanks.
My tractor is a 47 Hp tractor. And will be using it on hills. So that may be a problem. But guess I will find out. Don't think I will be getting it stuck. Or sure hope I don't .
Pete

br549oicu8
07-21-2005, 05:23 PM
I have a 60" Classen 3 point aerator as well. Just like the pic post above I use concrete blocks for weight. I pull it with a Kubota L-3710 HST and it works excellent and makes $$$$ quickly!!

Runner
07-21-2005, 11:12 PM
I really can't think of any better way to go. It's the best of everything.

tnpete
07-23-2005, 01:52 PM
Thanks for the replies.
I also think it would be the best way to go. AS I will be using it on places over 2 acres in size.
Guessing Sept and Oct would be the best time to use it this fall and then reseed?
Pete

turfcobob
07-28-2005, 11:23 AM
Tripete:

things to look for in a used aerator. First check the bearings in the aerator tine wheels. If they a loose and wobbly they will need bushings or bearings. If they are worn too far they may need whole new wheels. Check the tines. If they are worn off flat on the tips they will need replacing if they are coring tines. A coring tine needs that sharp tip to work correctly especially on a pull type unit. Pull type units need more weight and sharper tines than powered units. Because all they have to get them in the ground is weight.
Cautions here......It takes roughly 100 pounds of gross weight to push a coring tine into the ground. Now if this unit is you say 7 foot wide. It could take alot of weight to get it into the ground. Make sure your tractor can handle the weight load. Biggest mistake alot of people make is they take a small tractor put a 3 point on the back and weights on the front to regain control. then later wonder why the frame broke...Caint tell ya how many times I have seen this happen. Kinda like these guys ya see with a half ton truck, a pallet of fertilizer in the back and a 700 pound permagreen spreader hanging off the reese hitch in a carrier. Front of the truck is pointed at the sky and the guy wonders why it drives funny..

Get a 3 point that will match your tractor..too big and you will pay for it in the long run. A unit that works with your size tractor will perform better, do more acres and not tear up your tractor. I advise you to check with your tractor mfg or dealer on what your tractor will handle and match your aerator to it. A cheap big unit now could come back to haunt you later.

turfcobob

Grassmechanic
07-29-2005, 04:39 PM
I used 3 pt hitch on the golf courses for a long time. One of the best pieces of equipment we had (maintenance-wise). I'd use one again.

SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC
07-29-2005, 06:46 PM
I HAVE THE LESCO 60 INCH TOW BEHIND , BUT I BELIEVE CLASSEN MAKES IT FOR THEM. IT HAS BEEN AWESOME, THE ONLY PROBLEM IS THAT UNLESS YOU USE GRADE 8 BOLTS FOR THE TINES THEY WILL BREAK OFF IN TOUGH SOILS. BEATS THE H*LL OUT OF USING THE RYAN ON THE MONSTER LAWNS WE HAVE HERE. CAN YOU SAY 2 ACRES AN HOUR ? payup payup

I ONLY WISH IT HAD MORE TINES, YOU HAVE TO OVERLAP PASSES TO GET THE NUMBER OF HOLES I LIKE, BUT IT IS STILL ONE HELLUVA TIME SAVER !!!