PDA

View Full Version : Adding new mulch

spcfoor
07-21-2005, 05:11 PM
When you all add new mulch to a existing bed do you take out the old or just put the new on top? I have to kill the grass that is growing in the bed right now. Can I spray it and put the mulch down the same day or do I have to wait? Thanks

Mo Green
07-21-2005, 05:15 PM
When you all add new mulch to a existing bed do you take out the old or just put the new on top? I have to kill the grass that is growing in the bed right now. Can I spray it and put the mulch down the same day or do I have to wait? Thanks
......no, you don't have to remove the old.

......yes, you can spray the same day.

First, cut the grass down to the dirt with your line trimmer, and then spray.

IN2MOWING
07-21-2005, 05:18 PM

How much old mluch is in there? Is it rotting at all? If not and there isnt that much just turn it and put the new stuff down. If its in bad condition then rake it all out and put the new stuff in.

spcfoor
07-22-2005, 11:46 AM
Thanks for the replies.

Kate Butler
07-22-2005, 09:13 PM
I'd nuke the grass without cutting it first (faster translocation because of more leaf surface), wait for it to dry, knock it over at the base and put the mulch down on top of it. If the clumps are massively huge, after the herbicide is dry, weedwhack it, then put he new mulch down (just a cosmetic amount to freshen it up).

Dirty Water
07-22-2005, 09:25 PM
How much old mluch is in there? Is it rotting at all? If not and there isnt that much just turn it and put the new stuff down. If its in bad condition then rake it all out and put the new stuff in.

Rotting mulch = Compost = Good for plants.

Don't remove it.