PDA

View Full Version : Best time to start seeding?

IN2MOWING
07-21-2005, 06:43 PM
Its almost August and the yards are starting to get thin. When will be the best time to start renovating and reseeding yards? Should I wait till it gets down to a certain temp?

IN2MOWING
07-23-2005, 10:06 AM
Bump.......

NattyLawn
07-23-2005, 11:43 AM
I would wait until September, when the temps drop and there will be less chance of stress to the seed.

rodfather
07-23-2005, 04:36 PM
Last week of August would be the earliest I would try anything.

SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC
07-23-2005, 05:01 PM
well first ya gotta kill all that grab grass, and the grubs , then wait a few weeks until the weed control residue in the soil breaks down a little.....then watch the weather channel for the long term forcast. i usually figure the hot nasty weather to break around mid september, so i plan seeding accordingly. And on the contract it tells the customers....NO WATERING EQUALS NO GUARANTEE ...PERIOD!!!

OOPS FORGOT A BIGGIE........DONT USE ANY 2,4-D, OR ESPECIALLY clopyralid OR THE SEED WILL CRAP OUT. THE SOIL RESIDUAL IS WAY TOO STRONG.

rodfather
07-23-2005, 05:04 PM
well first ya gotta kill all that grab grass, and the grubs , then wait a few weeks until the weed control residue in the soil breaks down a little.....then watch the weather channel for the long term forcast. i usually figure the hot nasty weather to break around mid september, so i plan seeding accordingly. And on the contract it tells the customers....NO WATERING EQUALS NO GUARANTEE ...PERIOD!!!

OOPS FORGOT A BIGGIE........DONT USE ANY 2,4-D, OR ESPECIALLY clopyralid OR THE SEED WILL CRAP OUT. THE SOIL RESIDUAL IS WAY TOO STRONG.

Who said anything about crabgrass or grubs???

turfcobob
07-28-2005, 11:03 AM
IN2MOWING:

Rodfather has it pretty close. Depending on where you are end of august is good. I would not worry about killing the weeds get them suckers in the spring. You want enough warm weather to keep the ground temp around 50 plus and you want to be able to get a few mowings on the Fescue if you are planting fescue. Make sure there is a good aftercare program in place or you may be wasting time, seed and gas.

A good rule is to check with your local Turfgrass School Extension people as to when they would plant. Most Turfgrass schools are glad to help out.

Also a soil test is adviseable..Take a sample into a Lesco store they are pretty quick with results.

Best lawn I ever did. I killed it with roundup aug 1, overseeded sept 1 and had a showcase lawn by nov 1...in Nebraska no less...

Turfcobob