PDA

View Full Version : Begining the new year, how do you guys go about it?

syzer
03-06-2001, 07:58 PM
What do you do with your customer base? Comprise a list and go down from the first name calling adn asking if they would like your services this year?

Or do you just send a letter out to them filling them in on any info like price changes and such and to contact you if they would like your service again for the year?

If you guys fill out contracts how do you work that send it with the letter and ask them to return it if interested or that maybe you will drop by to discuss some things and drop it off then?

Let me in on the scoop =).

Scraper
03-06-2001, 08:20 PM
I just send them all a letter stating that I have them on my calender and if their calender differs from mine to please let me know. I will give them a general idea of when I will be starting up. I also ask them to call to schedule mulching and such as some people need to be the first on the block to have mulch put down. I prefer to wait a bit as the mulch stays nice longer if it's put down after all the major spring rains.

Glen

Actually just took a break from doing just this...to respond to your post. Now back to work.... ;)

HOMER
03-06-2001, 08:27 PM
I just show up, if they don't want me they will call!
My annual customers are being serviced year round anyway so I never stop with them.

kutnkru
03-06-2001, 09:01 PM
When we meet in person with our prospective clients to sign our agreement for the season, we have several forms of paperwork with us. I feel that one of the most important parts about this merger with them as partners is appearance. I am the only contractor I know of that wears a suit to deliver his proposals. If you did not know I was a lawn scrub(LOL) you would think that I was a professional.

The first thing that I do is to present them with our COUPON CALENDAR. This is a flyer format that has each of the 12 months of the season and different dollar discounts for our services pertaining to that time of year. I find that I have gotten better response from dollar discounts over percentages off.

Secondly I will give them a CALENDAR OF SERVICES. The terminology is very basic. I try to always follow the kiss rule: Keep It Simple Stupid. This calendar will explain what services we offer throughout the season during the different months we are in session. I do not get into to much detail here, because they can basically track what services will be performed in each month, right down to the week almost to the day.

The next piece of paperwork they will get is a BASIC DESCRIPTION OF SERVICES. Once again in the kiss format. Then I take a few minutes and just review it with them. If they have any questions we discuss them at this time.

The last step is to show them the COST OF SERVICES. At this time I keep reiterating that at any time they can add or remove services as their bugets allow. The only cavet is I request them to do so within a 7 day advance written notice (of the date specified for the work to be done) to our company or a verified phone call by myself personally.

Whenever a service is added or removed I then send them a letter of transmittal so they will have it for thier files. I encourage them to feel comfortable about contacting us with changes or questions on a regular basis. We are in fact building a partnership with them, and I want them to understand that they are the Senior Partner and I try to act more as a Personal Adviser to them.

Then I have them check off the services they wish for the season. I inform them that I will send them a copy of what their work schedule for the season will look like and if they have any questions to give us a call.

This usually at least gets them to cross reference the form with the calendar. We also include what the balance due for each month will be. This way when our billing goes out on the 15th if the numbers dont jive, they will call. In fact, I have found this to be a sort of a grading system. We have a section for them to comment and evaluate those services we have performed for them that month.

Hope this helps.
Kris

TJLC
03-06-2001, 10:06 PM
Kris, you need to be a little more through. LOL. I just do what Homer does,keep cutting unless I hear otherwise. Seriously, Kris you seem like a pretty sharp guy. Good head for business.

Bassman
03-06-2001, 10:32 PM
Ditto Homer & TJLC.

joshua
03-06-2001, 10:44 PM
kris, are you trying to all the others guys on here a bad name, how dare you go in a suit (LOL) just messing with ya, i go in khakis and a dress shirt. go idea about a calander, never tried anything like that, does it work?

1MajorTom
03-06-2001, 10:47 PM
Last year the middle of March we called all of our customers to tell them that we would still be servicing their lawn for the season. A few of our elderly customers got confused and worried that we were coming out the next day to cut their grass. LOL.

So this year we did not feel like making all those calls. So we sent out a newsletter that went out March 1st. One small portion of the newsletter said:

We are now in our third year of business.
With the season fast approaching, we are looking forward to servicing your lawn care needs.

We will automatically continue to service your account when the cutting
season begins unless we hear from you.

So please, if you have any questions or concerns, call us before April 1st. We would love to hear from you!

So far we have not heard from anyone saying that they do not want us anymore, and I doubt we will. A few did call to say that they got our newsletter and they wanted some extra work done before grass season starts.

mowerman90
03-06-2001, 11:39 PM
Kutnkru,

What a great idea (calender). You da man!

guntruck
03-06-2001, 11:54 PM
Kris nice idea on the calender. I think thats an excellent idea. I beleive the more you educate the customer the more chance of getting more sales.

jimsny
03-07-2001, 12:03 AM
I call ALL my customers at the end of February to confirm that I will be cutting again this year. I have assumed (that they would have me back or even expect me) in the past and not made the call only to find that they too assumed I did not want to cut for them that year and I lost a few nice accounts.

kutnkru
03-07-2001, 12:30 AM
The Calendar works quite well.

I thought this was like some sort of fantasy Island deal. Come up with a nic and then chat about what you want to be when you grow up. You mean people can actually make money cutting grass for a living???

LOL
Kris