PDA

View Full Version : split shaft stihl or echo trimmers

Jusmowin
03-06-2001, 10:42 PM
I was looking at a split shaft trimmer today and was wondering if anyone has used or ownes one of these units.I also intend to use the unit with a articulating hedge trimmer and a pole prunner atachments.Are they worth the money and are they any good or would it be better to buy 2 dedcated units (pole prunner and articulating hedge trimmer).

thanks for the help

[Edited by Jusmowin on 03-07-2001 at 02:47 AM]

bob
03-06-2001, 11:05 PM
I've got a Stihl FS-85 that has interchangable attachments. The shaft doesn't split, it comes apart at the attachment. I have 4 attachments for the unit. I would go this route instead of a dedicated hedge trimmer. Do a search on this topic.

65hoss
03-07-2001, 12:28 AM
You can get the different attachments now for the regular shaft stihl. This would be the best way to go.

PROBLEM WITH SPLIT SHAFT:
How does the split shaft work? You pull a lever in the middle and it pulls apart. If you use trimmertraps or something similar you have no protection! All someone has to do to steal your trimmer is pull the lever and slide each side out. This is almost as easy as setting it on the curb and walking off. If you have some sort of box to lock it in then great. It has many more attachments at this time and would work great. If not, you would be better off with the regular shaft and get the attachments for it.

lawnboy11
03-07-2001, 12:59 AM
I bought the echo commercial powerhead plus the broom and cultivator attatchments a few months ago. The broom works great for light snow, slush, and also to sweep lawns of soil or debris. I got the cultivator to help with beds, small gardens,spot seeding, but I'll see how that works in the spring. I also just ordered the edger attatchment to have as a back-up or possibly to replace, depending on performance, the little wonder edger as it would fit into the trimmer rack and be more convenient to use around beds, tree rings, etc. For another 89$, why not.
Now, since I already have the powerhead I think I'm going to also add the pole pruner to the list. I am pleased so far. All of my trimmers/ hedge clippers/ chain saws are echo and I like them a lot.

BigEd
03-07-2001, 01:12 AM
I second the Stihl FS-85.Purchased one earlier today matter of fact!

Island Lawn
03-07-2001, 01:39 AM
Stihl FS85RT w/ edger attachment.
I bought it just a month ago and am very happy with it.

EarthTech Landscapes
03-07-2001, 02:30 AM
I use dedicated pieces of equipment. I have thought about trying one of these split shaft systems out. But I have multiple hedge trimmers, blowers, edgers, hedge trimmers, etc. so i really don't see the value in this. i might try one setup out to see how it holds up the only reason is because it looks like it will save room in the trailer instead of packing around everything.

Skookum
03-07-2001, 04:26 AM
I have used Ryobi's split shaft stuff for about 7 years. The big commercial outfits did not have any yet that I know of.

I have used their hedge trimmer and vac attachments with great sucess.

Now all I want is that articulated hedge trimmer head that Echo has out. It seems to be a few dollars cheaper to buy the split shaft power unit and the articulated head -vs- the seperate hedge trimmer unit.

Strawbridge Lawn
03-07-2001, 01:27 PM
Just bought two pieces of echo equipment yesterday the PAS 2601 with the stick and trim head and the bp603 Blower. Will get the hedge trimmer soon I think. Tried the edger last eve and it worked better than I had expected.
IMO both manufactureres are good. Bottom line, which ever unit feels best for you, and meets your needs then that's the one for you. Don't think you will go wrong with either.

syzer
03-07-2001, 01:51 PM
I am very interested in the PAS-2601 echo machine. Seems like kind of a small engine for all taht stuff. Is it powerful enough to cut nice clean edges when using it as an edger or cut through thick branches when using it as a hedger.

Seems like a nice piece of equipt but does it have the strength to do as effective a job as stand alone units?

Strawbridge Lawn
03-07-2001, 02:32 PM
I have not used mine enough to give you a proper answer, but have read many posts here from folks who like it. I did a stretch last eve edging on fairly soft soil grass that it went through with ease and the blade was down 80% of the way. A real test will be initial flwoer bed edging.

double e
03-07-2001, 07:08 PM
Echo- One of the best buys last season!

The hedge trimmers are great- I do have another set of trimmers though. Its nice for those small bushes, I only use the attachment trimmers for larger bushes.
The edger is nice- I only edge a dozen or so yards out of 90 and works fine. Can be a pain detatching weed wacker to edger all the time.

BobR
03-08-2001, 12:31 PM
Have used the Split Boom Echo 2100 for two years, no problems, the only extra thing purchased was was trimmer string.. accessories purchased were string trimmer, broom,
hedge trimmer and edger all work great.
great product.

lawnboy11
03-08-2001, 01:09 PM
BTW- I think you should have a dedicated weed wacker and use the split for things you don't use every day like the broom or hedge clippers or pole saw. Like mentioned above you don't want to change them all the time. I like the idea of a stick edger because you can put it on the trimmer rack with the weed wacker meaning one less peice of equipment on the trailer floor.