PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use a Stihl FC85 edger?

mowerman90
03-06-2001, 11:49 PM
Has anyone bought/used the new Stihl FC85 stick edger? I just saw a picture of it in PRO magazine that came in todays mail. The guard on it looks heavy, but well engineered. I hate it when I'm edging around pine trees and all the needles get jammed up in the guard on my echo. I don't think I'd have that problem with the Stihl.

GroundKprs
03-07-2001, 05:04 PM
Ed, ran the unit at GIE in Indy last Nov. Seemed to me to be a great improvement over curved shafts, and the open guard was terrific. Am on waiting list at local dealer. Have not seen any out in stores yet, and they did not even show it on website when I was there last.

65hoss
03-07-2001, 05:07 PM
My local dealer has them. Well, let me rephrase that. He is sold out right now. He had one put back for me but called to ask if he could sell it to someone else and order me one since I didn't need it right away. So mine is on order, but should be here any day.

lawrence stone
03-07-2001, 05:40 PM
I have a FC75. Is that the same thing only 4 years old?

Mine is a straight shaft top of the line unit.

Runner
03-08-2001, 01:00 AM
The guard looks heavy, but it is really not. Basically all it is, is a big plastic mud flap. Completely functional, and the blade area is all open so it will not clog. I checked one out today at the expo, and I am sold. I am buying this and the Stihl rubber paddle sweeping attachment to change on the end of it. This attachment is the ULTIMATE thing to use to clean gravel out of ditches and off turf on roadsides that was thrown by plows.

cutting edge
03-08-2001, 09:33 AM
I've had mine for over a week now. This is my first stick edger (I've been using a wheeled edger), so I don't have anything to compare it to. Power is no problem. Have not had any problems with clogging.

lawnguy ny
03-08-2001, 01:34 PM
ALL I HEAR IS STICK EDGER. BUT MOST ARE FROM THE SOUTH WITH SANDY SOIL .MY DEALER SAYS I NEED A LARGE WHEELED MACHINE LIKE A WONDER EDGER .ANY ONE FROM THE NORTH WITH CLAY TYPE SOIL USE THESE STICK EDGERS .I D RATHER USE ONE IF I M NOT GOING TO GET HIT WITH ROCKS AN ALL. GIVE YOUR THOUGHTS

HOMER
03-08-2001, 01:52 PM
EXCUSE ME!

Sand is at the beach............we have clay in Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi and all along the coastal States. I use the stick edger every day, not no danged wheeled edger, and it does fine, great as a matter of fact.

Move into the 21st century, get rid of the old slow equipment and step up to the more efficient stuff. Salesman try to move what ain.t moving cause they have tp pay for it.................don.t listen to them, listen to those that do this day in and day out!

Shack
03-08-2001, 05:26 PM
Tell him like it is Hoomer.