PDA

View Full Version : Finally Happened

David Hickerson
03-06-2001, 11:04 PM
My workers went home for the day when I got a lat minute call to mow a prop. Decided to do the job myself. Finished the back yard to find the Echo blower and trimmer missing or should I say stolen. I wish I had a stupid dog to kick but could only kick myself for not locking them up. Those low life bottom dwellers cost me a fast $700.

Houston

65hoss
03-06-2001, 11:14 PM
that sucks! Why can't these morons go get a job?

ron
03-06-2001, 11:16 PM
Dam MAN sorry to hear this maybe we should all form a group called getting the shaft by a low life ...how to take revenge,,heck last week i had a lawnsite to mow started doing the side entrance and my truck alarm started going off went to the vehicle and there were a large pair of bolt cutters next to my trailer oh well the sound must have scared them off well i now have a good pair of cutters,maybe you should buy one of thses cheap car alarms called bull dog for about $65.00 like I did at K-Mart....

kutnkru
03-06-2001, 11:20 PM
When I first got into this business I was working for someone else. We were constantly putting blowers in the cab of the truck so we would have them when we got back from ordering burgers and such.

What we have done is to have a box fabricated and this is where we lock down our blowers/small hand tools/tool boxes/etc.

You may want to check into having some 1/4in grating welded to angle iron and then fastened to your trailer(s) as well.

I feel for you Bro. Hope this idea may help somehow.
Kris

Eric ELM
03-07-2001, 12:10 AM
I had all my 2 cycle stuff stolen out of a locked enclosed 24 foot Haulmark a few years back. Just because it is enclosed and locked, does not mean the tools are safe either. I feel for ya buddy. :mad:

[Edited by Eric ELM on 03-07-2001 at 05:12 AM]

awm
03-07-2001, 07:18 AM
I know the your anger man.The people that spend their time looking for something to steal completely change the way the rest of us live.That to me that is worse than the loss of property.I pretty much have decided what ill do if.
You holdem and Ill give him an old fashioned MAMA WHIPPING with a string trimmer.LOL TO KEEP FROM CRYING .My stihl was my buddy.GOOD LUCK TODAY

rdh
03-07-2001, 05:07 PM
go check out the pawn shops in your area chanses are they may be there .and they should have the people that sold them on camera.
dam crack heads.

Greenkeepers
03-07-2001, 05:19 PM
Guess you always have to lock up your stuff.. It's a shame that you can't even make a living anymore without some derilicts ripping you off.. Good luck finding it.

guntruck
03-07-2001, 05:24 PM
The best protection if you can afford it is to have someone stay with the truck at ALL times. I know its a pain and sometimes impratical but nothing to get stolen that way. Im somewhat new so my time for mistakes is soon to come i just hope nothing gets stolen because one thing i cannot stand is a stinkin A** thief!!!!!!!!! Good Luck!!!

Tait
03-07-2001, 05:31 PM
If you have a covered trailer, add tie-downs to the floor and strap your stuff down. Then, add another tie-down right in the middle of the floor and tie a protective dog to it (i.e., Australian Shepherd or German Shepherd). Both can be trained to be very good with the family, but protective of anyone else. If the dog is in the covered trailer and has a chain just long enough to reach the back ramp, it would take a gutsy thief to stick their arm in and try to grab something.

Tait

Chopper Lover
03-07-2001, 08:30 PM
Ron:

You may be on to something. A 7 prong trailer plug has an orange wire for 12 volt accessories. It would probably not be hard to set up an alarm system to the doors of an enclosed trailer.

You would need:

A remote operated car alarm with shock and entry detection, maybe even a panic option should you see someone to close for comfort...

2 door sensors like used by commercial alarm companies for home alarms

2 sirens. One for inside the trailer to make the noise unbearable and one for the outside to alert you or passers by.

You could even have a marine battery mounted inside the trailer to keep the alarm functioning while not connected to the truck. It would recharge when the truck is connected.

I am not sure how the remote on/off would work. Maybe a toggle switch would be better... Either way the idea has potential.

I will go to Radio Shack tomorrow and see what I can come up with. If it looks feasible I will put out a post.

Mark

cantoo
03-07-2001, 09:24 PM
My solution for the thieves. Make a trap ramp door on your enclosed trailer with a spring on it, when thief enters trailer the door shuts, alarm sounds. You get in your truck and drive to the nearest boat unloading ramp, slowly back down the ramp until the trailer is submerged. I don't think the thief will be back again. You might have to turn up your radio so you don't have to hear the screaming.

rdh
03-07-2001, 09:38 PM
cantoo
just leave them in it for a week.thats more time than a judge would give them.

JJ Lawn
03-07-2001, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by rdh
just leave them in it for a week.thats more time than a judge would give them.

And that's no joke. At least in my area.

When my truck, trailer, and all my equipment was stolen I was told that if they caught the guy all he could be charged with was, unauthorized use of a motor vehicle. A misdemeanor. He would be given a fine and sent home. All the equipment goes with the vehicle. That was his to keep. No grand theft, not nothing. And he could steal up to 5 vehicles before he could be charged with a felony.

The police told me that this was part of (then governor) Ann Richards plan to alleviate overcrowding in Texas prisons.

Just my bad luck to have been in Texas when it was stolen.

Jim

greenflag
03-07-2001, 10:10 PM
I used to be a pawnbroker in north Texas. It would not hurt to make a fax and send it to the pawn shops in the area. It is against the law for them to tell you if someone pawned your equipment,( Go figure!)but it might make them check. By law they have to hold purchased items for 14 days before selling it. As for a pawned item it stays for 90 days before they go out for sale. Also a pawn shop can't legally accept an item if any ID numbers on the item don't match the bearers ID. So get out the ingravers and put some drivers license numbers on your stuff. The laws I stated are Texas laws. Check with your local shops around the country most of them are pretty good guys.

Garry

David Hickerson
03-07-2001, 10:10 PM
Thanks to all that responded.

As I was driving around today. I counted 2 dozen lawn crews. I have decided to paint all equipment the same bright blue color. I am talking about every paintable surface of all equip. I know this will not be the last time something gets swiped. I am very friendly and personal with many crews out here. It would hurt to think that a fellow competitor/friend would do this. I am going to try the pawn shops tomorrow.

I like the hot box idea but think I am going with the alarm theory. My bro works for Brinks Home Security. I will see what he can rig up for me.

Houston

moonarrow
03-07-2001, 10:19 PM
I know how ya feel David, about 3 years ago when working in Dallas, I left the truck for about 5 mins. and came back and 3 blowers, 3 weedeaters, and hedgers, all gone.

JJ Lawn
03-07-2001, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by greenflag
Check with your local shops around the country most of them are pretty good guys. Garry

I hand carried a list of all my equipment and serial numbers to all the pawn shops in my area. All but one took a copy.

I would think that they would like to know if they were paying out cash for stolen property, that they would have to return to the owner if found.

Jim

greenflag
03-07-2001, 11:19 PM
You bet they want to know if the merch. is stolen. They are the big looser, because the police come retrieve the goods, the scumbag has the cash, and the pawn shop is SOL. My day job is sales, we have about 18,000 pawn shops across the country, and I would bet 95% would be suprised that the one shop didn't take your list. Oh well there are jerks in every crowd. More than likely the shops in your area will be on line with the police. So the pawns & purchases will all go direct to the detectives working theft. You can imagine the hits they would get when they search for lawn equipment. Probably almost as many as Lawnsite.

Garry

hortusa
03-08-2001, 06:08 AM
There is no real way to stop these low lifes.Except to try and coordinate workers in the front and the back .However the best is to also INSURE your equipment.Its so cheap to do it. I learned this from a guy that lost the whole truck and trailer. He left the keys inside the ignition, and when he got back, GONE the whole nine yards.But his truck, trailer and equipment was insured.3 weeks later rolled up with new trailer and was buying all new equipment.

lsylvain
03-08-2001, 09:54 AM
about 3 years ago i was hit at my home while I was there in broad daylight. Don't ask me how they did it. I was outside spreding gravel in the drivway and left my stuff sitting out when I went in for a drink and to go to the bathroom. It couln't have been more than five minutes I was in the house. When I went back out I saw a shovel laying in the middle of the steet. I couldn't figure out how it gut there untill I looked in my truck. They got every small tool I had in a matter of minutes except the shovel they must have droped. I couldn't beleive it. They must have been planing that for weeks. They tried to hit me again at night but after the first time I kept everything in the basment so all I ended up with was a broken truck window.

I havn't had any problems around this area though amaisingly.

joshua
03-08-2001, 12:05 PM
david, sorry to hear what happened to you, its a lesson for all of to learn. no one thinks it will happen to them but by more guys saying that it has proves it can. this year i'm gunna add theft to my insurance just to be on the salf side.

thelawnguy
03-08-2001, 11:06 PM
Pawn shops around here do not sell stuff they obtain locally. Its all sent to NYC conversely all the stuff for sale in the local shops is from NYC or Boston.

They are well aware that most stuff brought in may be hot.

Paradise Yard Service
03-09-2001, 12:27 AM
Its a Jungle out there!

I am painfully aware of this situation. Had pressure washer taken out of the truck while in the bathroom (the perp is now in Oahu Community Correctional lifting weights and watching COPS on T.V.).

I also lost a t-18 when I kept it under my stairwell (did this for years no prob until the building was painted,week later bugga was gone).

Constantly looking after equipment while in the field. Must take everything with and never leave anything curbside!

Lots of bottom feeders/welfart addicts in the collection busines (collect welfare and tools from LCOs).
Its going to get worse!

Love my optimism.

Aloha,
P.Y.S.

Gtotoy
03-09-2001, 12:42 AM
I remember years back i was at a friends house who had the "pepsi" account. His guys forgot to mow a section deep in the back and he asked me to shoot over there, i grabbed a Z, a wacker and a backpack. Well i was out back Z riding it up, and when i came out. there where two low life scumbags trying to steall, get this ,, the damm am/fm piece of crap sparkomatic outta the truck,, i freaked ,one got away but not the other, i had the weed wacker in my hands and was chasing him through the parking lot zapping him in the calfs as he was running, he finally fell down, and the wacker was junk, the cover for the exhaust was not there, so i burned him all over his forearms with it ,as i was on top of him, i got tired of that and threw the wacker and beat the livin hell outa him, the cops came and he was screaming for them to press charges, but they just laughed and told me to go home,,, i bet ya they never messed with another landscaper again after that,, ill never forget it!!!!!!!!!!!

cos
03-09-2001, 05:16 AM
I like the idea of putting an empty gun holster on the dash. Maybe a couple of nra stickers on the bumper.

Had my whole truck stolen. Had all my equipment inside a locked cap in the rear. People are too rutheless when it comes to respecting one's property.

I better stop here. There are too many people here that are liberal to the fact of carrying a gun. Hell, one person here was even in a gang and now opposes the use of them (what a crock).

Sorry, dont mean to change the subject.