PDA

View Full Version : New Mower

Yardworks
03-07-2001, 01:12 AM
Was hoping to get some opinions on which Mid-Z mower I should add to the line-up this summer. It's so nice to talk about mowing after months of moving the white stuff. My choices are narrowed down because of dealer availibility. Choice #1 New Scag 27 hp with either 54' or 60' deck. Choice #2 Grasshopper(haven't looked seriously enough to even know the models). Choice #3 John Deere M655( I already have one of these and not extremely happy with it) I have never mowed with a Scag or Grasshopper so I can't compare with what I use. The only complaint I have heard with the Scag is it is pretty heavy and easier to leave ruts in a three pattern rotation. Any experience with these mowers would be greatly appreciated.

Eric ELM
03-07-2001, 01:19 AM
My closest 3 dealers are about the same thing, so I just drove farther and got a lot better mower in my opinion. Sometimes that extra few miles of driving is worth it, but demo them all and then decide for yourself. There are plenty of posts on all those mowers and the rest of the brands too.

65hoss
03-07-2001, 01:20 AM
From what you have mentioned, I would consider the grasshopper first. The blade tip speed is right with the lazers and the choppers. A service guy I know likes them.

I would probably really think about the jd. Although you know more about them than I do. Why did you not like them? How was the dealer service?

The scag would be the last one on my list.

Yardworks
03-08-2001, 01:20 AM
65hoss, The JD dealer I have used is second to none. They really go all out for a person. I'm just not a big fan of the mower. It actually cuts nice but I'm a huge maintenance man and nothing rubs me the wrong way like things engineered to make it difficult to maintain. Every time I see one of those hoses with a cap on the end to drain the oil I'd like to shove it up some engineer's @#$. To drain the hydraulic fluid on my JD you have to take return hoses off. A drainplug would just be way to hard to have. The thing has a kohler which is louder then a Harley and I also haven't heard many good things about them for dependability. Lastly I hate the mech. to raise the mower deck. I want to be able to do it with my foot. I'm already using my hands to steer the machine, my foot is just there doing nothing, so why not put it to work. Most of the time raising the deck with your hand isn't a big deal, but when you are on hillsides and need to lift a little to save a scalping it can be a little tricky.