PDA

View Full Version : At what angle do you sharpen your blades?

jimsny
03-07-2001, 01:33 AM
I have searched the blade issues up and down and all I see is frequency of blade sharpening, Grinders, and double blading.

My questions are:

Is the angle of the blade edge important?

What is your favorite angle and why?

What are the pros and cons of different angles?

Thanks

Eric ELM
03-07-2001, 01:44 AM
I think we decided on one thread that 30 degrees is the proper angle. I never did measure it, but I did set my RBG to the angle of a new blade when I set it up. Not all new blades are the same angle, so the main thing is keep them sharp, very sharp. ;)

BobR
03-08-2001, 12:43 PM
When you maintain the original blade angle you cant miss also you are taking off the least amount of metal each time you sharpen. Dont forget to check the balance when sharpening.

Kestas
03-08-2001, 12:51 PM
I think sharpening by filing is superior to grinding as a way to put a sharp edge on a blade - at least for the homeowner. Yes, grinding is faster, but filing puts a better edge. Plus, you get better control on how much metal is removed.

bob
03-08-2001, 12:52 PM
I do what Eric said. With a dedicated blade grinder you angle will be the same every time. With a hand grinder you will change the original angle.

BobR
03-08-2001, 01:35 PM
Started sharpening with a 7 inch hand grinder, last year bought a Fireball commercial blade sharpener, set it and forget it, nothing finer than a piece of equipment designed for a particular job.. keep em sharp..

LARSON
03-08-2001, 05:43 PM
BobR

How much for one of those commercial blade sharpeners

---------
B.Larson

Eric ELM
03-08-2001, 06:01 PM
My RBG was $404 last spring, I think they are $416 now, delivered and no tax. One of the best things I bought for my lawn biz.

LARSON
03-08-2001, 06:05 PM
Thanks Eric
Where did you get it from?

--------
B.LARSON

TJLC
03-08-2001, 06:13 PM
A.M. Leonard carries the RBG for $419.34. (1-800-543-8955) I'm sure other companies carry them also.

Ricky
03-08-2001, 09:05 PM
I honestly don't know how important blade angle is. I know that a thinner edge will slice through material easier than a thick one.

The factory angle should be the best. Slightly steeper should be easier to sharpen for a while.

I think the steeper angle would chip out less because the blade is thicker just behind the edge.

BobR
03-09-2001, 10:05 AM
Bought the machine in July of 00, Very pleased with it.
Don Brandlein the owner of the manufacturing company was most pleasent to deal with (not often that I have been able to converse with a company officer).. If you are interested in purchasing a commercial grinder at least give him a call,
If any aon wants his e-mail address I would be glad to e-mail it to you.

Rotary Blade Grinder ----- 540.
Grinder Stand ------------ 169.95
Diamond Dresser ----------- 72.50
Grit Collector ------------ 44.95
Grinding Stone ------------ 37.45
Bevel Gauge ---------------- 7.50
Shipping ------------------ 33.25

jimsny
03-10-2001, 08:54 AM
I used to use a drill with a special 5"flexible disk and it worked fair at best. I had to put the blade in a vice and I got an uneven edge down the blade.

In my pre season excitement (which was fueled by the purchase of the new eXmark 52" turf tracer HP with that new ECS handlebars... Yippeee!!!) I got to thinkig... I have an 8" grinder motor in the basement. It is a generic brand I paid $20 and has wheels on each end. I made a VERY precise blade grinder which I love for the cost of maby another $10.

Picture this in your mind... it is made of 2x12 boards in the shape of an "L". at the top of the L is a hinge which is attached to a board that lays against the verticle of the L. The motor is attached to this and there is a fixed table that comes up to the wheels which is mounted on the horrizontal of the L. I put a large, fine thread bole which goes through the motor board and when your screw it in it pushes the motor ever so slightly away from the vertical part of the L in a radius due to the hinge at the top of the L. This changes the angle of the wheel in relation to the fixed table. VWALA!!! I have my blade grinder and it works GREAT!!!

It is nice to do the job when you have the right tools such as a dedicated blade grinder. It is very fast and FAR more accurate than compaired to the old method of sharpening and fun to watch the sparks fly!!!

I will try to attach a photo. I do have a digital camera but have never attached a photo. Can you tell me how to do it?

TIP: If you do make one of these I advise using a fine thread nut and bolt (I used 1/2") and I had the nut welded to a 2"x2" piece of metal with 4 small holes in it which is screwed into the back of the motor board so I would not have to reach back there with a wrench all the time. On the verticle L I put another 2x2 piece of metal for the bolt to push off of so it would not gouge the wood and change the angle over time. I found that there is no need for a lock washer as the combination of fine thread bolt going through the board & nut is enough to prevent turning and changing the angle while vibrating.

[Edited by jimsny on 03-10-2001 at 01:05 PM]

Roger
03-10-2001, 01:03 PM
Jimnsy -

Picture please. I am unable to follow the verbal description. Perhaps, even pictures - as in more than one!

Will your idea work for a standard benchgrinder, that is, one with wheels on either end of the motor?

Thanks.

John DiMartino
03-10-2001, 02:01 PM
Jimmy-please ,Id love a picture of your creation of beauty and function.I am about to make up one myself,and a picture would help tremendously.

Eric ELM
03-10-2001, 02:10 PM
If you have problems posting that picture, send it to me and I will post it for you. EricELM@ameritech.net is where to send it.

If you want to try it on your own, but need help, click this http://www.elmlawnsite.com/post_pictures.htm to go to my page on posting pictures.
Eric

[Edited by Eric ELM on 03-10-2001 at 06:14 PM]

Bubba5
06-03-2001, 08:54 AM
yes, a photo
:D