PDA

View Full Version : Dogwood borer. HELP!!!

gil
07-25-2005, 10:31 PM
Does anybody knows how to fight borers organically?
i just started and I want to do it the right way. any advice?

nocutting
07-26-2005, 04:31 AM
Well if you already have them, there are 2 options..........[ 1 ].a thin wire, to probe the entry holes, see if you can pull them out?[ 2 ] Bt,or Nematodes can be injected into the hole, seal with a tree wound dressing.....is this an American Dogwood?....has it been getting Leaf Spot? [ Anthracnose?].....how does the root flare look?[ like a star, or flat on 1 side?...look for girdleing roots........is it in a defined bed?....mulch ring?.....whats the fertilization schdule?.....Do everyone a favor, avoid all those "Pesticide Sprays", not worth a "Hoot", so don't Pollute!!!!!! :) :waving: :cool2: :alien:

Markf
07-26-2005, 05:04 PM
Gil,
Maybe this will also help you. I am not an expert and only saw this after reading other material on that web site.
Mark
http://www.hort.uconn.edu/ipm/homegrnd/htms/17dogwb.htm

gil
07-26-2005, 07:46 PM
Thanks,
The tree was transplanted last October. I fertilized it early Spring and what I thought it was sun scald turned out to be a borer. I was removing the dead bark and there he was. I squeezed it.
I will try the thin wire.
thanks to both of you.
Gil

OrganicBob
07-28-2005, 05:23 PM
Organic soaps work well, but have no residual. If you see the critters, spray them with soap. Soap will remove the insects protective waxy cuticle and dry the sucker out. It will die pretty quickly. If you're a DIYer, just use dish soap and water in a spray bottle. shake first.

sheshovel
07-28-2005, 06:26 PM
Ive also injected exterior latex caulking into the hole to smother the borers and seal the hole.

NAT
08-08-2005, 09:24 PM
American dogwoods need shade , they stress alot in full sun.try to find a product that has pireathum which is a botancal .green-light makes a neem/pireathum for fruit trees works great.

Guthrie&Co
08-09-2005, 01:45 AM
tree wrap! it nothign nore than a thin layer or cardboard with a inner coating of tar with another layer of cardbopard paper. wrap the tree up to the lowest branch. secure with duck tape. the boeres chew though the paper but they get a mouth full of tar and it ends the problem. however it need replaceing about every 6 months but it is extremly cheap.