PDA

View Full Version : Need a new overseeder

The mayor
07-26-2005, 09:18 AM
I am looking for a new overseeder. I currently have a mataway. It works nice on a flat surface but on any incline or sidehill It doesn't work so hot. I was curios about the turfco or the classen. Anybody use those or others.

br549oicu8
07-26-2005, 09:29 AM
We have a Classen but from what I understand they are not making the drill seeder anymore. Was told the company that either made most of the parts for them or something like that is alos selling them and they can't compete!!
That came from Classen direct!!
We like the one we have though but I think any walk behind drill type seeders will be a challenge on a slope.

Runner
07-26-2005, 12:11 PM
Who makes the Lesco slitseeder for them?

nocutting
07-26-2005, 12:29 PM
We have [ 2] lesco's, think they're "Great" for lawns over 10,000sq.ft., smaller lawns the "Bluebird" is even better, lighter and almost as fast even though its not self propelled [ & 1/2 the cost] of the Lesco's. payup :waving:

The mayor
07-26-2005, 12:34 PM
I overlooked the bluebird. After using their aerator I figured the overseeder wasn't much better. How are they on small slopes.

GreenscapesofWestMichigan
07-26-2005, 06:18 PM
i have a ryan slit seeder, id part with, in brand new condition.....used like tree times

Erik Green

Owner Greenscapes of West Michigan

SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC
07-26-2005, 09:50 PM
i once had a ryan mataway...what a complete overly complicated unreliable overpriced rolling pile of crap. need i say more ?

LESCO RENOVATOR IS THE WAY TO GO...............ALTHOUGH I THINK IT SUX THAT THEY SWITCHED FROM HONDA TO KAWASUCKY. THE LESCO COSTS LESS AND COSTS LESS TO RUN AND DOES SUCH A NICER JOB.

johnnyusa
07-27-2005, 10:16 PM
I have a lesco renovater w/ honda engine , i will sell end of sept. for 1300 Email me if interested. Johnnyusa@aol.com

turfcobob
07-28-2005, 10:26 AM
Mr Mayor: On the subject of overseeders I would advise you to look seriously at the Turfco unit. It is very well designed with blades every 1.5 inches apart. the blades also pull the unit along very well, (if the soil is dry). I would advise anyone not to seed if it is wet. the seed hangs up in the top thatch area and you loose alot of seed. The secret to good seeding is stirring the seed up with dirt and then washing the seed and dirt into the slits. the Turfco also has large pneumatic tires for rough turf and a good seed flow gate system. It handles hills very well, just seed across starting at the top and working down at an angle going two different directions. Best of all you can get a Turfco overseeder from Turfco and you have a couple weeks to try it out. If it ain't what it is supposed to be send it back. but I assure you it is a tough reliable seeder good for small or large areas. I have done areas from one acre down and did a great job of levelling a two year old fescue planting that had washed out badly. Levelled it and got a great crop out of it. call turfco at 800-679-8201..

On the subject of the ryan mataway overseeder. I was involved with the design and test of that unit. It was designed for Golf Courses not lawns. the thing ended up on lawns because of the high demand for lawn seeders in the 80s. So if it does not do well on lawns or slopes that is why it was designed for golf. sorta like taking your corvette to haul sod. Ya can do it but it ain't designed to do it. Use your truck that is what it is for. I have been in this biz for over 30 years and just laugh at the things guys try to make work where they were not designed to work.

Turfcobob

dmc456
08-26-2005, 04:58 PM
I currently have a Ryan Mataway seeder and there is absolutely nothing more effective at seeding than the Mataway.

With that said, it is a BEAST to operate and gives you a work out. I use mine all the time and yes you better me mechanically enclined to fix and adjust thing or you will have problems. Mine works great and is relieable assuming I take the time to change and adjust belts at the beginning of the season. On hills, not so well. But is has so much more power and weight compaired to other machines it does a great job. Take a very strong worker to run one of these for any length of time. I'm 6' 230 with a muscular build. Most of my guys are pretty small.

For hills, I'm getting a Lesco Renovator which also does a good job. Not the job of a Mataway, but a close second. Also, the design is very simple (low maint) and easy to operate. All employs can operate this machine does to size, weight, and wheel configuration.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Best setup for seeding....get a mataway and a renovator.

The mayor
08-26-2005, 10:32 PM
Well here is a update on what is going on. I ordered info from turfco for their overseeder and 26 aerator at 2 different times, never received anything in the mail from them. So while I waited I ended up going to a auction and picked up a almost new classen ts20 overseeder for $500.00. So I will see how that works out. With the mataway and the classen I should have the best of both worlds.

Creative1
09-10-2009, 12:54 PM
Hey Mayor, I just bought a Claassen TS20. How has it worked for you? Any suggestions????