PDA

View Full Version : What size should the trailer be?

Howie's Lawn Care
07-26-2005, 02:34 PM
I'm trying to figure out what size of triler to get for next year. Some one already recommended sizes, but that was without equipment specifications. I have a 1989 Ford Ranger XLT 2.9L (Automatic) so I don't have much power. I plan on towing around a Toro 21" Commercial, Toro 22" Recycler, Hustler 37" Hydro-Walk-Behind, Shindaiwa RS76S Broadcast Spreader, Shindaiwa Trimmer and Edger (side rack). What size of trailer do you recommend and how much should I expect to pay? Are the ones at TSC, Lowes, etc priced well or should I buy from an actual trailer company/dealer. I definetley plan on getting a better truck after next year. Thanks for the help guys!

CRM Lawncare
07-26-2005, 04:33 PM
I'd go 5 x 10 at the biggest with that tow vehicle and look for a used trailer that needs a paint job or new tires. If not go with a dealer and stay away from the box stores.

iluvscag
07-26-2005, 05:14 PM
5' by 12' for you. :)

Scotts' Yard Care
07-27-2005, 07:22 PM
When you really consider it a trailer is a necessary evil :D Try to find the lightest trailer you can that will still safely and securely haul any reasonable anticipated load. You don't want to drag anymore weight than absolutely necessary because this will kill both your tow vehicle and your gas mileage.

Howie's Lawn Care
07-27-2005, 10:17 PM
I'd go 5 x 10 at the biggest with that tow vehicle and look for a used trailer that needs a paint job or new tires. If not go with a dealer and stay away from the box stores.
Why should I stay away from the "box" stores?

Scotts' Yard Care
07-27-2005, 11:06 PM
Usually these trailers are light duty intermittent "convenience" equipment with small wheels and probably won't work well for hard daily work. Eight or even twelve inch tires will wear fairly fast at highway speeds compared to regular size 15 or 16 inch rubber. I did notice some heavier larger trailers at Home Depot but I didn't look at them closely.