PDA

View Full Version : Phone Advertising

JTRIMCO
03-07-2001, 11:15 AM
I was wondering if anybody has ever used phone advertising and knows who offers it. Over the winter I recieved two calls from a handyman service,but both times it was a automated recording explaning all the services. Has anybody ever used this type of service before to gain clients?

Eric ELM
03-07-2001, 11:25 AM
In the Chicago area we get bombarded with calls like this everyday. I get so sick of the phone ringing, I am thinking of getting a service to answer my phone for me. :)

When I started out, flyers worked the best for me. I have helped other lawn guys get started in this area and they had good luck using them too. What I did was hand wrote an approximate price on each flyer as I handed it out. I also put on their address, so it would not be handed to a neighbor that had a much more difficult lawn to mow or trim. I also added the price depended on how difficult parts of their lawn in the back that I could not see were to do, how much it would be extra if any. Seeing hand writing on the flyers seemed to get their attention and I had unreal response.

kutnkru
03-07-2001, 11:39 AM
My personal beliefs are that this form of advertisement is the farthest one at our disposal to personal service. It shows clients several negative things right off the bat.

First one is usually that you are obviously making great money so you can afford to have someone else support your hobbies.

Secondly, you have not used any creativity in acquireing accounts so how can they turn to you for Landscape Design/Enhancement ideas when they arise even if you arent going to be doing the work.

Third, if you are so lazy as to market your business from your butt, how are they going to be able to rely on you to perform adequitely during the year in providing a labor intensive service??

Lastly, we HATE you people when you call up disrupting our evening for being so calous(sp) and disrespectful in regards to our private lives and leisure time.

I would STRONGLY recommend that you hire the neighborhood kid to help you distribute flyers, doorknob hangers and the like.

Good Luck this season!
Kris

Eric ELM
03-07-2001, 12:27 PM
Well put Kris. My feelings exactly. ;)

What I hate around here is, they make several calls at one time and whom ever answers first is who they talk to. The rest get hung up on. I have caller ID and it's getting so I just won't answer a call unless it shows up as someone I know or a possible customer. Most telemarketers show up as out of the area. Boy they make me made. :mad:

syzer
03-07-2001, 12:37 PM
Not to mention its a very cold way to contact customers.

Spring is coming and now them suckers are calling my bis line like crazy hanging up on the answering machine!! Nothing ticks me off more. I love it when I get a hold of them so i can tear them up =P.

lawrence stone
03-07-2001, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by syzer

Spring is coming and now them suckers are calling my bis line like crazy hanging up on the answering machine!!

What SMART contractors do is have their phone forward to a live (person) answering service. You can buy the answering service on a month’s basis for about $80/month for a few months in the spring when you have heavy advertising.