PDA

View Full Version : tree roots and pavers

bobcatnj
07-26-2005, 04:16 PM
i have a business office that the pavers on the side walk are being pushed up by tree roots. is there a way to fix this without killing the trees? my thought was to dig up pavers and cut as much as i could of the roots then make a new base and reinstall pavers.

Randy Scott
07-26-2005, 10:39 PM
I believe the rule of thumb is that you could technically remove about 25% of a trees roots and it would still be fine. We have removed some sizable roots on trees when doing pavers and/or seating wall rings around trees, etc.. The key is to make some good clean cuts with a saw as opposed to just whacking them out with an axe or shovel. This does take some time though to dig around the root you need to remove to get a good clean cut on it.

sheshovel
07-26-2005, 11:08 PM
Regardless if you take the advice posted above,you still will have not taken care of the basic problem you have..That is pavers being installed over a trees root area.
You will continue to have problems with roots growing up and thru.Your best bet is to remove the pavers completely
from around the dripline of the tree if that is at all possible and reroute the walkway

Dreams To Designs
07-28-2005, 04:08 PM
Look into a product made by Deeproot. It is a root barrier that is designed to deflect the roots away from and under the pavers. It comes in different heights, depending on what you need to do. As was suggested, prune the roots back, install a root barrier and rebuild the walkway back to specs. I have done repairs for others with success and use a barrier during installation if trees are close enough to cause a problem in the future.

Kirk

buffalo bill
07-28-2005, 06:09 PM
Regardless if you take the advice posted above,you still will have not taken care of the basic problem you have..That is pavers being installed over a trees root area.
You will continue to have problems with roots growing up and thru.Your best bet is to remove the pavers completely
from around the dripline of the tree if that is at all possible and reroute the walkway
This is very sound advice. Consider this before cutting any roots.
Damage to the tree is most likely.