PDA

View Full Version : spreading 100 yards

greenback
07-27-2005, 09:34 PM
i already got the job but how much would you charge for spreading 100 yards of wood chips in a 40x65 area (9 inches thk). Also i am putting down railroad ties around that same area.

Mo Green
07-27-2005, 09:48 PM
How much does it cost you per yard?
How are you getting it there?
How many trips will you have to make?
How easy is it to access the area in which you are spreading it?

Fill in the blanks....then I can give you a price.

J Hisch
07-27-2005, 09:50 PM
it depends how far you have to travel, this would only be tractor work correct, or skid steer. if then probably could handle that in 1 solid day, tractor/skid loader with experienced operator, 1300.00

J Hisch
07-27-2005, 09:51 PM
My cost is for labor only.

cantoo
07-28-2005, 12:15 AM
`Has anyone ever tried spreading stuff like this with a leaf loader? I have a 11 hp Hiway and a 25 hp Highway loader and want to try it out. I'm not real worried about wearing out the impeller they are cheap enough to replace if it does a good job. We don't do a lot of mulching but would consider doing more if we could find an easy way to spread it instead of handwork.

MarcSmith
07-28-2005, 08:32 AM
with out having to edge a bedline look to spend on average about 1 hour per yard of mulch. less if you can use a loader, more if you have hump it long distances. but you have to rememebr to charge rental for the loader and generally operators cost more per man hour than to laborers as it is skilled work.

Don't forget any time spent in the truck hauling(if needed) from the place of purchase to the place of final use.....

greenback
07-28-2005, 11:22 PM
i am just spreading the mulch it is already there, i am using a bobcat. i quoted 550. no other info needed.

MarcSmith
07-29-2005, 08:51 AM
so if we take 100yds of mulch and divide it into the quoted price of $550, Onaverage it will take one man hour per yard to spread. that means you are Grossing $5.50 on average per hour....I think labor prices on this board generally are in the $30+ range. Which means that to spread 100 yds of mulch, Not counting for any product or any rental, which is already present you should be in the $3000 range. Once you get equipment into the mix you will become more efficent rather an just humping wheel barrows

Now the skid loader will save you some time and the skid loader should enable you to move and spread 5 yards per man hour hour(depending on how close the pile is to the location which means now you are looking at Skid Loader rental $200 a day(your cost), and 20 hours of labor 10 is skilled (40 per hour) as an equipment operator and 10 would be as basic labor(30 per hour).

2 days rental on skid loader 400 marked up 30% is $520
Skilled labor for two days is 40 per hour x16 hours 640
unskilled labor for two days 30 per hourx16 hours 480

Total billshould be around 1640... the reason I went form 10 hours to 16 is that you will have to pickup/drop off loader, or at least pay for delivery, and you might have to do some repair work to the soil/turf inwich you are traversing. as well as travel time to and from the job.. Yes i did mark up the rental fee. Like any other product or service it needs to be marked up. I generally would mark up 60% over my cost on materials, and rentals get 30% markup.

This would be one of the jobs that I would do on a time and materials ticket or a "not to exceed" ticket just for the simple fact that you don't really have any idea how long is going to take to so this job. And if you are by yourself after about the 20th yard of mulch your gonna get tired..., at which point it might take your 40 hours to lay the mulch...550 for a weeks worth of work does not sound too appealing, especially in this heat...

greenback
07-29-2005, 01:33 PM
yeah the heat does suck, but the pile is located in the spot it has to be spread. All i am doing is moving it 40 feet. the pile is on on end and i have to spread it out to the other. it will be just me with a bobcat, i think i could spread the whole pile in 6 or 7 hours, i can spread a yard by wheel barrow in an hour. your saying you can spread a yard in a bobcat in an hour. Also i called many landscapers and they quoted 400 to 500 to spread it. Also it is my mothers school who i am doingf the job for.

jkelton
07-30-2005, 01:08 AM
Sounds like you are putting in playground surfacing for the school. Should not take you no more than 2 to 2-1/2 hours. I know experienced playground installers can spread 80 yards per hour if the material is dumped in the pit area.

greenback
07-30-2005, 05:06 PM
exactly, the material is in the pit area, just moving it around.

MarcSmith
08-01-2005, 07:33 AM
I said I think you could spread 4-5 an hour by bobcat. since the pile is were you spread it will be very easy.... and all best are off on how long it takes....Just becareful with the bobcat not to hit any plaground stuff, if its installed already...

once your take into account loader rental you are only gonna have around 400 for your labor., so 60bucks an hour isn't too bad.....so long you get it done in a day...

greenback
08-01-2005, 07:09 PM
alright fellas, the job is done. I started and finished today. It only took me 3 1/2 hours with bobcat, half day rental, and another four hours installing plastic railroad ties and final spread. I believe my price was fair but i have a feeling i could of squeezed a little more out of it. i averaged 30 yards an hour with a few stops to do some minor spreading. The job looks good and would do it again in a heartbeat, for 625 that is.

JB Option
08-11-2005, 08:45 PM
The area you describe only requires about 72 yards of wood chips if you are going to lay it 9 inches thick. (40 x 65)= 2600 sqft x .75feet = 1950 Cubic

1950 divided by 27 cft per yard = 72.2 yards.

If the material is already on the job as you say the bst way to spread it is with a front end loader of some kind. You should be able to spread that much mulch in such a small area in about 2 hours tops with a machine. As far as the Railroad ties go if your going 9 inches thick I am assuming you are going to stack and spike them? so your looking at 210 linear feet of Railroad Tie x 2 high is 420 feet

If you use 8 foot ties Id try to go 64 x 40 to avoid the waste of the end ties. If you can do that you can lay it out 5 ties x 8 ties and stack them 2 high.

That will take 52 ties and reduce the job to 416 linear feet of tie.

You will probably spend more time doing the railroad tie work than spreading the mulch. Assuming your drill and rebar spike the bottom ties and then use Landscape screws to fasten the top spikes to the bottom ties. You should run at least 1 piece of rebar through both ends of each top tie straight through and at least 16 inches in the ground. and you can then landcape screw the centers at 2' 4' and 6' foot marks on each tie.

I usually charge $8 per tie labor plus materials.

So lets break this down

Front end loader you should be able to rent with delivery for a full day with delivery for $300 to $350 add an hour minimum of labor into arranging pick up and delivery

so lets say

$400 for the machine
$100 Operator for 2 hours
$416 for 52 ties installed ($8 a piece x 52 ties)
Customer to pay cost of Ties,rebar, and you will ned to rent a 3/4 inch drill and a good Drill bit will cost you $15. Charge the customer for that as well.

I'd bid the job at $1000 plus the home owner is to pay the cost of all materials. If you have to run around and pick stuff up I'd charge $50 an hour for that time as well.

You are not talking a very large Ares 40 x 65 if your going to spread the wood chips with a loader.

Good Luck

JB

greenback
08-14-2005, 06:23 PM
job has already been done before you posted jb. all material was bought by school. The ties were plastic double stacked and the company sent enough for the job. they were very easy to put in, 30" spike went in smooth with a sledge. bobcat costed me 170 half day and the rest was mine, i was the operator. $400 for 7 hours is pretty good, almost 60 an hour, what every landscaper dreams of :rolleyes: . by code the area had to have atleast 8-9" thick but the school ordered more because in a year it would have gone down with all the kids running on it. Very easy and worth while, recommend to any landscaper, besides those who would charge more than 800. Oh yeah i did this by myself.