PDA

View Full Version : rust protection on new truck

aspen NJ
07-27-2005, 09:59 PM
Does anyone have any experience with underbody rust protection?
Ziebart is the only place I know that does it.
Is it worth the cost?

procut
07-30-2005, 07:58 PM
Now days I don't think rust proofing is nessecary. I use a '01 Dodge and an '01 Ford and there is no rust at all underneath, and they have never had any aftermarket rust- proofing. Heck, even my old '92 Ford I just got rid of had vertually no rust underneath, and to the best of my knowledge was never rust proofed.

Smalltimer1
07-30-2005, 08:59 PM
I had an '84 F-150 a couple years ago that had a decal that stated "Rustproofing by Rusty Jones", but the truck was originally from Maine, so I guess it was done while the truck was up there. The frame was clean and the body had zero rust on it as well, so I guess the stuff must have worked.

GFX
07-30-2005, 11:26 PM
How long do you plan on keeping it? Ziebarts warranty covers only rust holes not surface rust. At least that's the way it was years ago when I used to work there.

The manager always said if you plan on keeping the car forever it might be worth it. Otherwise it's a waste.

Think, most people change vehicles every 5 to 7 years. A new vehicle generally won't have rust holes in it in that amount of time without rustproofing.

aspen NJ
07-31-2005, 07:39 AM
I will probably have this truck for the next 10 years, at least.
I've been plowing for the past 20 years and every other truck I have owned was a rust bucket.
In the past I have always purchased a truck 5 to 6 years old. The truck I have just traded in was a 94 F-250 that I was constantly replacing brake lines. The rust affected every metal part underneath.
Here in NJ they use salt on the roads in the winter and it just kills trucks.
Especially plow trucks.
I'm trying to find out how much it will help stop the truck from rusting.