PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with this lawn

QuadRacer041
07-28-2005, 06:53 AM
noticed this on a few of my lawns.i dont do any pest. apps. i subcontract that out but, im curious what this problem is.
there are some of these brown spots on the lawn yet most of the lawn looks real good.

QuadRacer041
07-28-2005, 06:53 AM
here's a closer shot, it kinda looks like a pest burn from a spill but thats not what it is.the brown grass is all matted down as well

66galaxie
08-03-2005, 11:32 PM
Looks like poa annua.

freddyc
08-03-2005, 11:39 PM
crop circle :p

Mowman29
08-04-2005, 12:56 AM
Canadian geese dropings? can kill grass? Is those black and white feathers in the pic?

If it is You need to ask your customer if they want it done and what I mean by this is having the lawn sprayed with flight control. It been a big problem this year. It not cheap but look it up it could be this.

QuadRacer041
08-04-2005, 06:09 AM
no they are not feathers on the lawn.there are no geese around there.
what is poa annua?what causes it and how do i trest for it?

AL Inc
08-04-2005, 11:55 AM
Poa annua is annual bluegrass. It looks OK in spring, then goes to seed, and usually craps out when the hot weather arrives. That may be it. I actually have a lawn I just looked at yesterday with the same problem. I wasn't completely sure, but I thought it was bentgrass that had died. It was a small area in a sunny area of the lawn. If anyone else has any ideas, I would love to hear them.

KathysLGC
08-04-2005, 12:01 PM
Could also eb what's left of a fungus. How is the soil? The remaining grass doesn't look to good. Might be staved...

QuadRacer041
08-04-2005, 02:06 PM
Poa annua is annual bluegrass. It looks OK in spring, then goes to seed, and usually craps out when the hot weather arrives. That may be it. I actually have a lawn I just looked at yesterday with the same problem. I wasn't completely sure, but I thought it was bentgrass that had died. It was a small area in a sunny area of the lawn. If anyone else has any ideas, I would love to hear them.

you might be right because now that i think about it i spot seeded those area's this spring.maybe just bad seed?

Shadygrove
08-04-2005, 05:12 PM
You didn't use a Shade mix did you? Creeping Red Fescue can act like Poa and die out when the temps get up over 90-95 degrees. Or after a pound of nitrogen.

QuadRacer041
08-04-2005, 05:18 PM
i used a sun and shade mix that i know had red fescue in it. you think thats might be it?

OrganicBob
08-04-2005, 05:30 PM
It is definately not poa annua. I question if anyone suggesting that really knows what it is.

If the grass is matted down, it usually means that the ground has had standing water on it. If not from rain, there could be a burst pipe beneath it. Probably mildew. Mildew kills grass.

OrganicBob
08-04-2005, 05:35 PM
The creeping red fescue hypothesis could be right. not poa annua. some fescues lay down like that naturally, ex: all fine fescue varieties. Most likely, a fungus or crappy seed. It doesn't look like grub or insect damage. It doesn't look like fert. burn or weed control burn either. I'd do a soil test if it doesn't thicken up during the next couple of months. They're not very cheap, but more than likely they'll at least help you narrow the cause down a little.

66galaxie
08-04-2005, 05:40 PM
Poa annua:

OrganicBob
08-04-2005, 05:43 PM
Exactly my point, poa annua - not what is wrong with this lawn. It's quite prevalent around here, maybe my eyesight's bad, but I don't see anything that looks like your picture of poa annua in that lawn. doesn't even look like dead poa.

66galaxie
08-04-2005, 05:49 PM
I'm trying to find a pic of a dead poa patch for comparison.

Quad, is that area sunny or shade? Is the soil compact?

OrganicBob
08-04-2005, 05:50 PM
To everyone,
Was reading my posts: Didn't mean to sound so insulting: I think the coffee is getting to me today. . . I try and be a little nicer in the future :dizzy:

bobbygedd
08-04-2005, 10:55 PM
let me guess, the area there is surrounded by fence, house, trees, correct? it is a small area, with little air flow/movement, correct?

Dirty Water
08-05-2005, 09:25 PM
Looks to me like an area that deer like to lay in..Are there droppings around?

SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC
08-05-2005, 09:35 PM
Id Place My Bet With The Guy Who Said Fungus......and If You Did New Seeding There In The Spring Many Things Could Have Happened. Such As The New Grass Wasnt Matured Enough Before Hi Temps, Fungus , A Dogs Favorite Spot , The Grass You Seeded Just Wasnt Tough Enough . Whatever The Reason Get A Soil Test From Lesco Or The Ag Extension, Remove The Dead Grass ASAP And Plan For A Quality Reseed In Thefall When The Weather Breaks. Oh I Forgot ,,,, Was There Any Insects Or Did Anyone Else Use Any Kind Of Lawn Products ?

bobbygedd
08-05-2005, 09:39 PM
it is not fungus, urine, chemicals. it is lack of air flow, i'll bet the rest of my beer that the area pictured is a confined area, i see a fence, and some arbs blocking air flow on one end, i bet the house is restricing air flow on the other end. what's on the sides? hedges, more fence? even if air is restricted on only 2 sides, you are still blocking 50 % of air flow. to solve this problem, u needn't look any further than the end of your nose

TURFLORD
08-07-2005, 08:37 AM
Looks like dollar spot on fescue in a somewhat shady area. Animal urine will totally kill the grass in a 2-6" circle easilly recognizable. A good fungicide, some water, and cooler temps should clear it up a bit. Also, prune the trees to increase sunlight and airflow. A little fert. would be nice. That stuff looks a bit clorotic.

gorknoids
08-10-2005, 01:56 AM
The ground looks lumpy. Could be my glasses, though. Hard to tell from the pics, sorry.

lawnguyland
08-11-2005, 08:12 PM
it is not fungus, urine, chemicals. it is lack of air flow, i'll bet the rest of my beer that the area pictured is a confined area, i see a fence, and some arbs blocking air flow on one end, i bet the house is restricing air flow on the other end. what's on the sides? hedges, more fence? even if air is restricted on only 2 sides, you are still blocking 50 % of air flow. to solve this problem, u needn't look any further than the end of your nose
Right on.
Likely fungus such as brown patch to which a lack of air circualtion and lots of shade played a major contributing role. Likley a fescue.

RedEarthLab
08-12-2005, 08:33 PM
Do they have a dog? I've seen yards like that and tested the spots. The urine is high in salinity and causes a pH imbalence in localized spots.

ant
02-26-2006, 12:23 PM
to me it looks like poa ann. decline or poa triv. decline

scaglawnsnj
02-28-2006, 02:26 AM
noticed this on a few of my lawns.i dont do any pest. apps. i subcontract that out but, im curious what this problem is.
there are some of these brown spots on the lawn yet most of the lawn looks real good.

If you ask me, It looks like nitrogen burn... Or over fertilizing problems.. to much burns the grass, but the grass that makes it through looks weak and thin..

QuadRacer041
02-28-2006, 06:22 AM
wow alot of differnt opinions on this. how and where do i go about getting this tested. i am in north jersey, bergen county, does anyone know of any places around here?