PDA

View Full Version : Dixie Chopper owners

JOshua Gallerick
03-07-2001, 06:07 PM
I'm curious to know how many acres can you mow with a 60" diesel dixie on flat terrain with minimal obstructions?
Are there any upgrades for the 2001 26 hp dixies?
Thanks

Eric ELM
03-07-2001, 06:17 PM
I have an 2001 XWD2600 which is the machine you are talking about. I got it in June, so it was one of the first ones made, so there has an electric fuel pump upgrade, which helped in two ways. It gives 3 more times fuel pressure to the engine and now if you run out of fuel, just turn on the key and it will self prime with the new self priming filter system.

You should be able to mow at least 4 acres an hour with the regular XWD2600 and 5 with the XFD2600, the diesel Flatlander. It is possible to do more in great conditions, but what I gave is reasonable numbers for average growing grass. In the spring when it's growing an inch a day, you will do less if you have to slow down some or if you have rough lawns. I hope this helps. Are you getting one? If so, which model?

Eric

turfquip
03-07-2001, 06:21 PM
Eric, Is there some reason why a flatlander would not be appropriate for hillside mowing as opposed to other dixie models? Is the frame set up different on these?

John DiMartino
03-07-2001, 06:28 PM
I think 3 3 1/2 per hr is realistic,as long as you can crank,and dont let the grass get to tall.

Eric ELM
03-07-2001, 06:31 PM
Flatlanders have smaller wheel motors which gives them the extra speed. I'm not sure what the diesel Flatlander has for top speed, but the diesels have 3 inch taller tires on them which gives my regular 60 inch model a top speed of 12 MPH, about 2 MPH faster than a gas model. The gas Flatlander with the 22 inch tires goes 14 MPH, so the diesel with the 25 inch tires might go 16 MPH. I am not for certain.

TLS
03-07-2001, 06:41 PM
Old Flatlanders pre 97 had the rear trimside tire kicked in. Mounted closer to the frame. This gave good trimming clearance when trimming along fences and around tree rings. After 98 [I think], all Dixies [including Flatlanders] went to the wider track. The diesels track width is even wider than the deck! The Flatlander also has faster [smaller displacement] wheel motors. In essesence, its like 4.11:1 XWD versus 3.08:1 Flatlander. Flatlanders were not the best hill climbers. It put a lot of strain on the pumps. Tipping over wise, my Flatlander was great. That 4 inches less track width didnt handicap its hill holding ability much at all.

Now see....I can talk nice about Dixies.

[you beat me to it Eric!!]

[Edited by dixie1 on 03-07-2001 at 11:45 PM]

weve
03-07-2001, 07:05 PM
I have the XFD2600-60 Flatlander. This is my third flatlander. The flatlander wheel motors are a little harder on the pumps than the regular wheel motors. It is a bit like starting in second gear instead of first. I just ease into my steering levers until I get rolling a bit. The pumps have to work harder on steep hills.

Larry

JOshua Gallerick
03-07-2001, 08:32 PM
so wich dixie is better the flatlander or the other model. And what are the differences?

Ricky
03-08-2001, 12:07 PM
I have an XWD-2600 and I live on a very steep hill. It has plenty of power even with double blades. I have heard before about the deck being wider than the width of the back tires. I have a '99 model, this is not true on my mower.

I have a friend that has a gas flatlander and a XXWD-4000 (2 -20 hp.Kohlers). He and his friend (that has a flatlander diesel) ran them side by side. The diesel is faster than the gas by about 1 mph. But the twin is faster than the diesel flatlander.

My dealer runs the 50 horse diesel and the twin. He says that the twin is faster than the big diesel. He also pulls a "pup" and he prefers the diesel to do this. I have tried the large diesel and it will out run mine. I think this will be close:

26 horse diesel = 12 mph
gas flatlander = 13 mph
26 flatlander diesel = 14 mph
40 horse twin = 15 mph (or a little more)
About the 50 diesel vs. the 26 diesel flatlander, I don't know which is the fastest.

I have also found that tire pressure makes a big difference in ground speed with the atv type tires. When I am cutting a rough area, I will sometimes run about 6-7 lbs. of air pressure in the rear tires. When it is smooth, I will go for the max. which is 10 lbs. This will also increase the speed. But keep an eye on the pressure because it will increase when they get hotter.

If I was going to cut many hills, I would go with the extra torque that the XWD-2600 has. If I didn't, I would go with the XFD-2600, if speed is the major consideration.

luckylawnboy
03-08-2001, 02:13 PM
I have an XFW 2500. It will climb any hill you want, steep enough to flip it over backward if you want. I see no reason not to Get the flatlander. I think the chassie is still off set because when I hade my striping kit the holes on the wheel motor housing were off a couple of inches from side to side. If you do not want to go that fast just slow down, if you do just go faster.

MowForReal
03-10-2001, 10:16 PM
I don't believe anyone who says a mower can
go 15mph. I used to run track and I know how fast it is to run a 1/4mile in one minute(and even much faster). There is no way an operator can go that fast on uneven ground and not be ejected or almost ejected. I think people should re-evaluate or learn how fast something is actually traveling. 15mph is an almost unhuman speed. I use a ZTR which goes 8mph. This is quite fast and I have trouble staying in my seat sometimes. Let Dixie Chopper come out with official speed ratings and don't believe that something can cut at the speed of a 4-minute mile!

HOMER
03-10-2001, 11:06 PM
You dont have to believe it............go try one for yourself! I have a 50 inch Flatlander and I guarantee you it will run at least 13 mph. My 72 City Slicker will out run a 60 inch Lazer off the line and keep pulling away from it, been there and done that!

cclllc
03-10-2001, 11:40 PM
my wife clocked me doing 13 mph on my 22hp 60 in

Eric ELM
03-11-2001, 12:25 AM
MowForReal
You better believe it, because it it true. I posted pictures of what my Chopper will do mowing at 12 MPH. I have the slower one, a diesl 60 inch. The Flatlander goes 13 MPH and the twin engine 72" will run 15 MPH.

With the low presure tires it uses and the comfy seats, the ride is not bad at those speeds either. We have had these discussions for the past 2 years about not being able to cut at high speeds. You won't ever beleive it until you crawl on a Chopper and try them. My old Chopper only goes 10 MPH, but it gets the job done. ;)

jason2
03-11-2001, 03:07 AM
This is a bit off topic. But a dealer here took over Dixie inventory from a dealer in Oregon that went under. He's got quite a few choppers for sale. He has the 40 hp twin with 72" deck for $10,350. Is that a good price? Got a price list for a whole bunch of Choppers from this dealer.

John DiMartino
03-11-2001, 09:06 AM
Jason,I think 10300 for a twin DC is a great price.I bought an XW2500,I did not buy the flatlander because my dealer told me-and Ive talked to a few guys that have confirmed this,it burns uo wheel motors.I have flat lot,but my accounts are not,My dealer wont even stock flatlanders,all the ones he's sold have an=had the wheelmotor blow out.Mine goes 10 mph,which is enough for me,unless the grass is glass smooth,you really cant go much faster anyway.

TLS
03-11-2001, 06:39 PM
I had a 1997 60" 25hp Flatlander and on a few of my lawns I would put the lever to the metal! I clocked mine one time with my Moms car (digital) on the street and it was at 13mph. That was when I was only running 3600rpms, I later bumped it up to 3800 freeload and it must have topped 15mph easy. You do get a lot of looks from people while your zipping across a parking lot or whatever at 15mph!! Yes, these lawns that I mowed at full tilt were big and smooth and un-fertilized. I was only cutting about a half inch off at a time. It seemed to cut those lawns better the faster I went! The Dixie decks do handle high speeds better than any deck I've ever used or seen.

Eric ELM
03-11-2001, 08:59 PM
Are you starting to believe us yet? As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. I have two pictures posted on this thread that were mowed at 12 MPH and taken as low as possible without being below the grass cut line. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=10390

If you have a mower that will go over 10 MPH and has sharp blades and the maximum blade tip speed, you can cut going fast. You probably will never believe this until you try it though. I am like you, I didn't believe it either, until I demoed one and then bought it and another and another and another. :)