PDA

View Full Version : Which base would you use or recommend

Gilla Gorilla
07-28-2005, 09:20 PM
Okay I screwed up and thought that this guy was discribing stone dust to me that he wanted me to bring in so he could set his base for his patio. I did it in stone dust then figured out that he wanted the base material to be more solid gravel. I called a guy from Techo Bloc and he said to use the 21A crusher run for the base. Well I did and shoveled the dust out yesterday and put in 4 tons of Crusher run.

Now I find out that he says this crusher run is worse of a base then the stone dust would have been. This guy has a really heavy Chezc. accent.

So My question is for you pro's out there which is a more stable base, 21A crusher run or straight 3/4 gravel?

To me I could notice a huge difference from the dust to the crusher run even without them being compacted the crusher was 20 times more solid then the dust but this guy is dead set on 3/4 being in for his base. Unfortunately for him and ME it took me two times to finally figure out and understand what this guy wanted for a base.

mbella
07-28-2005, 09:56 PM
Justin, why are you letting the customer decide what you use for base material?

Gilla Gorilla
07-28-2005, 10:05 PM
Mike

I was just excavating the base material from the old patio and bringing in new material for the new base and then washing my hands of this fiasco sp.

The only reason that I took this was to get some side money to redo my front landscaping and it was a good friend of mines neighbor.

buffalo bill
07-29-2005, 08:06 PM
How can you compact 3/4 gravel. Simply have him sign off liability if
he is going to dictate the job to you. Crusher is the way to go.

UNISCAPER
07-30-2005, 10:27 AM
MBella has it right...The customer is not always right, you bring in a 1" minus gravel compactable, we call it class 2 road base, the midwest calls it CA-6, the east call it crusher run (named different things from coast to coast) and compact it in 2" lifts. That's his base. If he wants something else, naighbor or not, he is a moron.

RedWingsDet
07-30-2005, 02:29 PM
MBella has it right...The customer is not always right, you bring in a 1" minus gravel compactable, we call it class 2 road base, the midwest calls it CA-6, the east call it crusher run (named different things from coast to coast) and compact it in 2" lifts. That's his base. If he wants something else, naighbor or not, he is a moron.

sorry if its not a good question. but what is the difference between ca-6 and 21-aa? is ca-6 just smaller?

and how and what exactly do the names 21-aa and ca-6 get aquired?

UNISCAPER
07-30-2005, 04:33 PM
That one has befoozled me for years. We work in one stae that calls it this, and the next state calls it that...

Basically, 1" minus material, in other words it will have 1", then 3/4" then 1/2", down to dust.

Graded concrete recrush is my personal favorite because it has a high level of cement in it and packs harder.

Gilla Gorilla
08-21-2005, 09:31 PM
Well just to let you all know I went to this house, spent 20 minutes digging the 21A crusher run out and then got him his 3 or so tons of 57A 3/4 gravel and he was tickled pink. He also told me after this work was all done that the geo fabric between the soil and base was unneeded. LOL He said at worst case he would have preferred it to be between the 57A and sand base.

I'm just glad that I'm done with this crap now and he has told me that this is the way that HE wants it and if it fails then it is on HIS shoulders and I told him damn rite.

greywynd
08-22-2005, 01:31 AM
Here the common names are 'A' gravel (3/4" and less) and 'b' gravel, I think is about 1.5" and less. Pit run is just that, whatever comes out of the bank (have to be careful sometimes you get bolders). There's a 2" crusher run (2" and under, makes good base for heavy traffic lots/driveways with highway trucks etc.), limestone sceenings (I think this is a slightly coarser version of what a lot of you call stone dust) plus gravel screenings. (Basically our 'A' gravel without the 1/2 - 3/4" stones.)

Straight 3/4" stone is just that. There's also a 1 1/2 - 2" version, often used for around septic lines.

Of course, there's all the washed stuff too primarily for cement/masonry.....lots of others too.....

UNISCAPER
08-22-2005, 02:04 AM
Now why the heck can't they standardize base like they do for every other graded form of gravel? All it does is make things very confusng when you work in different regions....

paponte
08-23-2005, 11:45 PM
There are many different types of base material for different applications. 1" minues 3/4 minus 3/8 minus etc. Different soil conditions and traffic conditions determine what materials should be used. Not for nothing, but why are you installing a base material when neither you nor the customer is knowledgable in what or how much to use? :dizzy: