PDA

View Full Version : Pulling aerators

guntruck
03-07-2001, 06:12 PM
Do any of you guys pull tow behind aerators with a ztr? I really cant imagine it but wasnt sure if anyone here has done it. Im looking into getting a tractor just for this purpose like a Deere or Kubota but was just curious about the ztr's.

lawrence stone
03-07-2001, 06:25 PM
I pull a 48" aerator with a gear drive walkbehind.

I have a new 48" tru core on order it should be at my door in about a week. I will mount a seat and foot rests on it and use it as a sulky. Then I mount a 1 7/8 trailer coupler to the aerator and tow off a 1 7/8 trailer ball mounted to the walkbehind.

The added weight of Stone is just like filling up the drum with water w/o the hassle. I just get off it and walk everything up the trailer ramp from job it job.

This will be a much better set up when I get a new hydro traction unit. This way I will be able to push a tine rake and mow at the same time w/o the peerless transmission issues.

Eric ELM
03-07-2001, 06:25 PM
A Lesco/Classen split axle tow behind aerator will work either way. I like it on the 3 point hitch for lifting over sprinkler heads, sidewalks, driveways and all obsticles. Using a ZTR on big open areas is fine and you can turn fairly sharp as long as you have at least a split axle on it. With a solid axle, you will tear up turf while turning it.

cleancut
03-07-2001, 06:26 PM
I do and I would say that most of the people on this site that has a ztr has also...They work just as good if not better than a regular rider....Get's a little tricky backing, but once you get used to it, it's no big deal....You'll have to do some modifications to hook up the aerate behind your ztr but it's pretty simple...They also make an aerator to go on the front of your ztr..Derrick

Evan528
03-07-2001, 07:31 PM
Stone, that should make your back feel great after a day of aerating!

double e
03-07-2001, 07:38 PM
I used to pull one with my woods- I would chain it on- then I welded a U hitch on back-
Like someone said- Backing up takes a little time

lawrence stone
03-07-2001, 07:42 PM
I could or first class with this unit and buy a $90 suspension seat.

Or might just make a foot platform and stand on it.

Ssouth
03-07-2001, 09:10 PM
I have found that backing up with the Tru Core aerator is actually very simple if it is pulled behind a ZTR. Turning sharply it does tear the lawn, but is that not what you are trying to do. It only looks bad for two weeks and after that the grass starts to germinate. After the grass germinates and starts to grow the lawns look plush and full. Personally, I do not care how it looks after aerating, my only concern is how it looks when the grass starts coming up. I explain to my clients that it will look like sh*# for two weeks then it will look better than ever. Good luck with your areating/seeding. May the weather be on you side.

jason2
03-08-2001, 12:27 AM
I've been kicking an idea around awhile. Thinking about taking off the deck on my 18 hp 36" Bobcat, and mounting a 36" Tru-core to the front.

Cut off the hitch of the aerator, and weld the arms from the aerator hitch to the frame of the Bobcat. Build a wheel kit that would lower hydraulically for transport. I could run a pump off the deck belt for this. Get some taller tires for the drive wheels to level the unit out.

Figure this would be a lot more productive that your standard w/b aerator, and a lot easier to manuver.

65hoss
03-08-2001, 01:18 AM
Hey Stone, I thought you already had an aerator that you pulled behind the wb and you could ride on? Why are you getting another one?

lawrence stone
03-08-2001, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by 65hoss
Hey Stone, I thought you already had an aerator that you pulled behind the wb and you could ride on? Why are you getting another one?

It's cheaper to buy a new one than it is to replace the tines in the old one.

The tines on the old one are too delicate and get damaged or break off from all the bad lawn installs that have rocks near the surface of the soil.

bob
03-08-2001, 10:48 AM
I use a Gator to pull my Lesco aerator. Grasshopper doesn't recommend towing anything.

joshua
03-08-2001, 11:52 AM
is it worth buyinh a pull behind or just going out and buying a new machine?

lawnboy53
03-08-2001, 01:03 PM
I bought a 48" Classen last year. Mine is made for a 3 point. I made a mount for the other side of the aerator and put it on my front mount mower. They also make the one Eric/ELM is talking about. The only difference between the 2 is the tow behind does have the wheel kit. Another point, If I were you I would try to find a Classen dealer to buy one from, because when Classen paints them green and Lesco puts there tag on them they are about $250.00 more money.
Mine has the split spool to help from tearing the turf. I'm thinking of splitting each side one more time to make it corner even easier.