PDA

View Full Version : UV Light Weeder

OrganicBob
07-29-2005, 10:06 AM
I've been speaking to a guy in Denmark for a month or so about a product that he has a patent for. It is a weeder that uses thermal radiation for weed control. At first I was skeptical. I knew from agriculture that flamers and steamers have been used with good success for erradicating weeds in crops, but their lawn applications seemed limited by safety, lisencing to carry/store propane, and affordable small scale units. As I looked more deeply, I could see the benefit of using ultraviolet light as a solution.

Has anyone out there heard of this technology?
What are your thoughts?

:cool2:

BRANDMEL
07-29-2005, 11:14 PM
I've been speaking to a guy in Denmark for a month or so about a product that he has a patent for. It is a weeder that uses thermal radiation for weed control. At first I was skeptical. I knew from agriculture that flamers and steamers have been used with good success for erradicating weeds in crops, but their lawn applications seemed limited by safety, lisencing to carry/store propane, and affordable small scale units. As I looked more deeply, I could see the benefit of using ultraviolet light as a solution.

Has anyone out there heard of this technology?
What are your thoughts?

:cool2:
I've used the heat weeder before, with a small propane tank that attaches to the handle. I don't know if it's the same thing you described? It works good if you have 24 hours to spend on a lawn for weed control. It's a fun tool for a retired homeowner :sleeping:

OrganicBob
08-01-2005, 11:29 AM
I think that the unit that you're referring to is a radient heat weeder that uses a propane to heat a heating element like steel or ceramic. This model uses UV radiation. The UV light is absorbed by the outermost layer of the weed very efficiently causing the cells in the leaf to burst. Basically working on the same principal as a heat weeder or a flame weeder, but more efficient, safe, and a lot faster.

:alien: Thanks for your post.

*at least that's what it is supposed to do. Whenever I get the model, I'll post on how it works and whether it is at all a good alternative for pesticides.

:drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup: