PDA

View Full Version : trailer gate lift assist

mcwlandscaping
07-29-2005, 11:42 PM
To get the eXmark safely onto the trailer, I had to extend the gat making it significantly heavier. Does anyone know how I may be able to bulid a gate lift assist cheaply. THANKS! :cool2: Also, if you don't know how to do this, could you provide some liks to some manufacturers of the product so I can get some idea on what one costs new.

Brianslawn
07-30-2005, 12:38 AM
thats where i got both of mine. good luck kid and thanx for your replies.

mcwlandscaping
07-30-2005, 12:44 AM
Thank you.They look like they will work great. If you don't mind me asking, about how much did they run you. I will need the double sided setup. I can build them very easily but want to know if it is just worth it to buy them. Thanks!

outsourced
07-30-2005, 12:54 AM
Garage door springs. Cheap and easy.

Brianslawn
07-30-2005, 01:08 AM
not sure on price. 2 trailers already had them when I acquired Lawnmaster company. trailers both have heavy tractor ramps welded on gates. probably one finger lift. you can push them down while on the trailer. they go down slow. dont forget to put the pin in the gate after raising it. if you do forget the pin you get above 40 on the hwy and the gate will drop. people quit tailgating you when they see a trailer gate almost fall on their hood.

if you need more advice on mow biz or anything else. email me at brianslawn@yahoo.com. might be a few days before i get back with you, but i'll help.

ALarsh
07-30-2005, 01:11 AM
$35 for all the parts, 2 hours and you can make one yourself.

walker-talker
07-30-2005, 01:13 AM
Here a link to a thread I started a couple years ago, with pictures. http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=34017&highlight=gate+assist
I got the square 2" square tubing at a local surplus store. The rest of the hardware came from Home Depot. I built two of them for around $60-$75. I went with 160lb garage door springs, but I would recommend the 175lb springs. Not sure if HD has them though because something tells me that I went with the heaviest ones thay had. I think I orginally started with 140lb, but not near strong enough. Since those pictures were taken I a have modified the pulley system. The old style was eating the cables and wearing the pulleys fast. Make sure you check those cables frequently. Should one of them snap and hit you, it could mean death.

I would love to see some pics of your trailer gate extension. I will probably do something like that in the winter. I have a hard time loading my overseeder and other smaller, less powered equipment.

Thanks
Matt

Fareway Lawncare
07-30-2005, 01:19 AM
Ballard Easy Gates on Front and Side Gates...Homemade Junk is For Scrubs.

outsourced
07-30-2005, 01:38 AM
Sad that since you lack the talent to build things you feel the need to lash out the people who take the time thought and effort to save some money that might be better spent on say............my daughters college.

A-hole

Guess I'm a scrub.

green-go
07-30-2005, 02:16 AM

Go away, internet troll.

Tharrell
07-30-2005, 05:25 AM
Do a search and you'll find pics of my double setup in the pictures forum. I made my own and it works perfectly.

kevinsky
07-30-2005, 09:27 AM

Where can you buy this system? I searched Ballard Easy Gates and did not come up with a web page.

ALarsh
07-30-2005, 09:35 AM
Just make your own. It isn't very hard and you can save a chunk of cash (if you have the time).

Itsgottobegreen
07-30-2005, 09:37 AM
I got the parts to make mine own. But never got to it. Since I came across a 7 by 16' enclosed wells cargo. It came with spring assist on the rear door.

daveyo
07-30-2005, 11:01 AM
I would be careful in making my own it could turn out to be a great liability. Try these I have them and am very happy with them, I literally lift my gate with one finger, http://www.gorilla-lift.com.

O'Donnell Landscapinf

LawnMowerBoy48
07-30-2005, 11:53 AM
I am going to be making a drop down gate for my 7x14 haulmark enclosed trailer. It is probably going to be a gate that folds in half when it is in it stored position so it can be long enough to not have too steep of an angle. I was thinking of using a one of the garage door springs that roll up and sit paralell to the garage door above it. Or do you think it would be better to run two garage door springs in tubes along the roof?

gogetter
07-30-2005, 12:01 PM
Garage door springs. Cheap and easy.

Don't forget DANGEROUS!

By the way, if the original poster would have used the SEARCH button, he would have found tons of threads on this subject including photos and names of manufactures.
But I guess searching requires legwork and it's easier to just post a question for the hundredth time.

RedWingsDet
07-30-2005, 01:17 PM
I am going to be making a drop down gate for my 7x14 haulmark enclosed trailer. It is probably going to be a gate that folds in half when it is in it stored position so it can be long enough to not have too steep of an angle. I was thinking of using a one of the garage door springs that roll up and sit paralell to the garage door above it.

I have a 20foot enclosed haulmark. and right above the ramp door is the "roll up and sit paralll to the garage door above it" is the method they used to have their gate assist. I just kick it up with the top of my foot and then let it go. You have to be careful though, cause if you let go of it, it will make a really violent slam against the trailer. If someone was really light, I bet it could pull them up with it.

LawnMowerBoy48
07-30-2005, 01:27 PM
Hey Mark, I've talked to a Haulmark dealer and they said that the framing structure of a fold up ramp is different than the ones with barn doors, which I have. Could you post pictures of the interior supports in the rear by the ramp so that I can compare it to my trailer. Thanks, Tyler

RedWingsDet
07-30-2005, 01:30 PM
Hey Mark, I've talked to a Haulmark dealer and they said that the framing structure of a fold up ramp is different than the ones with barn doors, which I have. Could you post pictures of the interior supports in the rear by the ramp so that I can compare it to my trailer. Thanks, Tyler

my trailer is at the shop right now, so ill have to get you pic's on monday

DaveVB
07-30-2005, 03:22 PM
A pipe with spring in it, pipe clamps, cable with chain on the end going through stacked pulleys, to a bolt on the gate......looks JUST LIKE my home-made junk. Bet you paid more.

jordydme
08-12-2005, 03:51 PM

Hey bud how bout a link or some thing for "Ballard Easy Gates." I did a search and found nothing.

Regards,
Jordy

Drew Gemma
08-12-2005, 03:55 PM
ballard easy gate $160 best thing ever!

mcwlandscaping
08-12-2005, 04:07 PM
do you have a link to there site?

gogetter
08-12-2005, 04:44 PM
Come one guys, Google is your friend.

http://ballard-inc.com/products.htm

jordydme
08-12-2005, 10:30 PM
Come one guys, Google is your friend.

http://ballard-inc.com/products.htm

Dude I did a google search for " ballard easy gate " and it turned up nada ....thanks man :D