PDA

View Full Version : 1993 F-150 gas leak

wriken
07-30-2005, 10:45 AM
The rear tank is leaking right under the holding strap, very small hole. Any suggestions on repairing the tank other then buying a new one? I've heard people putting a metal screw in it, and I have heard of using bondo on it. Do the make a glue of material like that for leaks?

KERRTURF
07-30-2005, 02:52 PM
I have heard of people putting a two part epoxy over the hole to fix it, but you will have to take off the tank strap and clean the area of any rust, grease, etc.
The obvious answer though is to pick up another tank, or have that one welded. Out of curiosity.... a 1993 F-150 should have dual tanks. Why not just use the other tank until you can fix the bad one right?

DaveVB
07-30-2005, 03:27 PM
You too eh? Not fixing it defeats the purpose of two tanks. But I drove mine for awhile that way. It is now sitting while I drive a mini-van. Waiting to put a new ignition switch in then replace a bad? fuel pump in the good tank.

KERRTURF
07-30-2005, 04:03 PM
You guys may want to check.... I just got rid of a '91 F150 that had a bad fuel pump in 2001 or 2002, I can't remember. Anyway, there was a recall on the fuel pumps. Something about a check valve sticking in the pump. I noticed mine when fuel started spitting out of the filler door on the front tank. The fuel pump had to be replaced, and the bill was about $450!! I found out about the recall, and was able to get Ford to pay me back for the repair. Nothing beats these old trucks for work vehicles, the only reason I got rid of the '91 was because the bed was starting to fall off of it. I replaced it with a '95 4x4 with the 5.0/ My neighbor bought the '91 2wd 4.9, and is still driving it today. It had over 150K hard miles when I sold it, and it never gave me a lick of trouble.

wriken
07-30-2005, 09:27 PM
I have heard of people putting a two part epoxy over the hole to fix it, but you will have to take off the tank strap and clean the area of any rust, grease, etc.
The obvious answer though is to pick up another tank, or have that one welded. Out of curiosity.... a 1993 F-150 should have dual tanks. Why not just use the other tank until you can fix the bad one right?

been driving it on the front tank for a couple months actually my crew leader was. He bought a vehicle, so i have it back. Want to get it ready for snow season. I found some Permatex stuff i will try.