PDA

View Full Version : Disabling an exmark ztr

awm
03-07-2001, 10:00 PM
Any ideas on disabling n exmark ztr.
Id like to make it as hard as possible to steal it
Ive already taken some measures but am looking for something
else.Email me privately if you like.Of course it needs to be something that can befixed quickly so Ican use it.
We have had three stolen within 20 miles the last month
also 12 atv s.

Eric ELM
03-07-2001, 10:17 PM
Hook up an alarm system to it that goes off if the key is turned on. Also put on a kill switch that is hard to find, but easy for you to find. :)

BTW, I put in a subject in your thread topic other than what W you had.

Bassman
03-07-2001, 10:20 PM
1. Take the key out.

2. Disconnect one side of battery terminal.

3. Remove spark plug cable.

4. Shut off fuel valve.

5. Disconnect cable voltage regulator.

6. Big sign: "GUN CONTROL IS HITTING WHAT YOU ARE SHOOTING AT. OWNER HAS GUN AND IS A FIRM BELIEVER IN GUN CONTROL."

[Edited by Bassman on 03-08-2001 at 03:30 AM]

awm
03-07-2001, 10:56 PM
Ive done some of that .the hidden kill switch
is going in.ALSO THE SIGHN.The sad thing about it is I really will do what the sighn says.Ijust have a hard time
with what these thieves are doing to everyday life.
AND SO GOD FOGIVE ME,MABE HELL UNDERSTAND OR MAKE ME MISS
OR SOMTHING.Thanks again

jason2
03-07-2001, 11:43 PM
I've found that they would be pretty easy to steal. Last year I realized that I forgot the key for my Lazer 40 miles from home. A thin screwdriver easily fit in place of the key.

Just pull both plug wires off. Mine will start and run on one cylinder.

Likestomow
03-08-2001, 12:20 AM
Just make sure you are adequately insured. Lower your deductible if you think you need to. But shooting someone for anything other than your life being threatened is a felony and you will serve time for it. I think we all like to fantasize about taking the law into our own hands and getting street justice, but get serious.

Why not have someone weld up a flange on or near one of your control sticks so you could put a padlock on the stick when it is in the open position? That would be easy to lock and unlock, and much smarter than the hog leg.

awm
03-08-2001, 07:38 AM
Likes to mow,you re right I know that.As to the gun
that would depend on the situation.Long years ago
I use to call some of these type friends.
I finally got tired of them bringing stolen bulldogs
to my place etc told them to hit the wind.
At that time they thought I was the know all about the dogs
Of course they got mad and fighting a gang aint a fun thing.
But the one thing I learned is you never ever letum get the advantage as they will do anything,anything.
Its not the loss of property its living life with the cancer of that type hanging over us all the time.
So yes the right situation I use a gun although
I have other options.One thing for absolute do what
ever is necessary to keep them from getting an advantage
over you.
As to letting insurance takecare of it .I kinda think that attitude is why they are so bold.My son thinks along your line of thought so I know and understand where you are coming.I appreciate your taking time to answer.

Greenkeepers
03-08-2001, 07:47 AM
Put another kill switch on it somewhere. Remember all that someone has to do is lift the seat up and release the hydraulics and just push it, so it doesn't need to run to be stolen.

Maybe make some kind of lock to lock the two tires together with a pipe and some car boot type ends?? Just a thought..

MikeGA
03-08-2001, 09:14 AM
Install Lo-Jack, park in front yard over night, collect reward when crooks are caught next morning, Know who to shoot next time they are seen riding slowly down the road looking for something to steal.

another thing, if it has lo-jack on it (used mostly on vehicles) can it be considered Grand Theft Auto?

Mid Rivers
03-08-2001, 10:09 AM
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but when are they stealing them? Night, over the weekend? I have a 60in Lazer and really haven't thought about it being stolen. The kill switch sounds like a good idea.

Thanks for the heads up.

Mr.Ziffel
03-08-2001, 10:20 AM
Seeing MidRivers post gave me an idea of how to save yourself some money and time over the complicated kill switches, etc., that won't stop them anyway because they can just loosen up the hydro valves and roll it away.

Go to a Harley dealer or look in their catalog and they have an anchor you bolt to your floor and then a heavy, hardened chain that you can wrap around the axle with a shielded padlock. If these are good enough to stop someone from making off with a $20k+ Harley they should work for your mower. Also in that Harley catalog is an electronic disabling system but I don't know how it'd work on your Exmark. Will

MikeGA
03-08-2001, 10:32 AM
I heard just yesterday about some boys taking their BRAND NEW Harleys out to one of the bike week gatherings. they had a custom built trailer with the chain package from Harley on both bikes. About the second morning they woke up and went out BOTH BIKES were GONE. The friend that was telling me about it didn't have the detail of what failed in the protection device just that both bikes had the Chains and both were gone over night.

Chopper Lover
03-08-2001, 11:04 AM
An ounce of prevention IS worth a pound of cure. Even if you do everything right, sometimes you still lose.

All we can do is attempt to prevent the theft of our equipment. Kill switches will stop some of the thieves, as will locks and alarms systems. Even a big dog won't stop every thief.

Face the facts... If they want to steal it bad enough, they are going to do it unless you catch them and can somehow make them stop!

Just do the best you can...
Mark

Atlantic Lawn
03-08-2001, 11:59 AM
Did you ever consider who is buying them ? That is the other part of the problem. If there are no buyers then they cant dispose of em. Its the buyers that keep them coming back for more. Not sayin the crooks aren't the bad guys just sayin we have two sets of bad guys the buyers and the theives. To prevent the loss maybe figure out a way to use one of those Krpto bike locks....Just my thoughts

jeffyr
03-08-2001, 12:08 PM
Would this be stolen off your trailer overnight ? I back my trailer up to a wall that would prevent theives from stealing it unless they can lift it over the side....in which case they can have it if they can do that.

jeffyr

awm
03-08-2001, 05:32 PM
Thanks for input.BYy the way if you are not able to decide on a plan of action facing a crook.Dont do anything as
indecisiveness at that time probably will get you killed or something.I wont belong to a get crooks organization
as these tend to become corrupt.That leaves it to the individual and I dont see another way to adress problem.
Wish he would try me at night .Id like to know who it is.
Id also find out his cronies and where he is selling it.
LIKE i say when Im done I plan on takin him down the rd
putting him out and ask him if he thinks he can run fast enough.Sometimes you gotto speak the only language the really pay attention to.THANKS AGAIN FOR INPUT

brandy
03-08-2001, 07:15 PM
you could also put it in your trailer at night and back up to a house or garage. Then lock your truck up!!!

Hardy Enterprises
03-08-2001, 10:40 PM
awm,

I discovered this by accident on my Exmark right after I bought it. The wire that is going from the seat kill switch has a plug about half down the wire. When I bought my mower they had this wire tie wrapped up out the way. Well when I got home I pick the seat up and leaned it forward to look it over the mower. After I finished I put the seat down and went to crank it and it would not do nothing. After fooling with it awhile I finally figure out that when I leaned the seat foward it pulled on that wire just enough to make it lose connection in that plug. So far that is the simplest and fastest way to disable it when ever I want to be sure it says were it belongs.

Jay

plow kid
03-08-2001, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by jeffyr
I back my trailer up to a wall that would prevent theives from stealing it unless they can lift it over the side....in which case they can have it if they can do that.

jeffyr

Same way here, I back the trailer up to the garage door and leave it there, If they can get it over the 24" sides they can have it, Thats what ins. is for.

ps. all the small 2 stroke stuff is locked up in a gang box on the front of the trailer.

Jeff in AL
03-09-2001, 12:48 AM
Here are a couple more ways to try to stop someone from stealing your equipment:
1. The idea of adding a switch in the ground wire going to the ignition is a good one.
2. Look on the carburetor to see if there is a fuel solenoid, that opens when the key is on to let fuel flow. However when the key is shut off the solenoid closes and stopes the fuel flow. You can add another inline switch, that would also need to be on to let the fuel flow.
3. Also, most starters have a big red primary wire that goes directly to the starter, or goes from the battery to a starter solenoid, then to the starter. On the starters that have the big red wire going from the battery directly to the starter, there will be a small wire going to the starter, which is a trigger wire.
On the starters that have a trigger wire, that wire is only hot when the key is in the "START" position, so if you added a inline switch to that wire you would need that switch to be on, for the voltage to continue to the starter.
All three of these switches could be a regular toggle switch, which you would hide.
Another possibility is to use a key switch. Using the key switch, deping on how you wired them, you could make them work the usual way, on is on, or off is off, or you could hook them up backwards where off would be on--or on would be off.

Just some more thoughts for you guys.
Jeff

MikeGA
03-09-2001, 09:36 AM
Ever seen the startup routine is starting an airplane? Most of the switches the pilot and copilot flip are safety switches that have to be flipped in a certain sequence or the plane won't start. In other words a souped up anti-theift device.

awm
03-10-2001, 07:50 PM
I found it .thanks

ChadsLawn
04-05-2001, 07:18 PM
How bout a 150lb Rottie riding along with ya..When you work he sits in the trailer..Then put his dog house right next to the trailer..Would you steal something with a 150lb dog looking at you?? Didnt think so...

cajuncutter
04-05-2001, 07:32 PM
PLOW KID I do the same to. After having my garage broken into I just started backing the trailer right up to the door. It can be a hassle but it beats the alternative.

bob
04-05-2001, 07:38 PM
How about installing motion sensor lights in the storage aera. Also some kind of an alarm that beeps when the lights turn on. Locks only keep honest people honest. If some one really wants it, they'll take it.

Fantasy Lawns
04-05-2001, 09:03 PM
We have a 6' security fence around our site .....a house with a man living in it (helps keep the cost down) ....an then there is "buddy"
http://home.cfl.rr.com/theleven/bulldog_big_barking_md_wht.gif

bdemir
04-05-2001, 09:52 PM
I agree with backing up to a house but if your truck is connected to the trailer then be careful because they might just steal the whole setup if they can. I know someone that this happened to. they not only stole the equipment but everything else including the truck .

Bedros

turfguy
04-05-2001, 10:14 PM
first clearly mark all of your equipment with your company name. also engrave your name and your licence operator number on several places. when and if a cop should see this
he can quickly run it thru ncic and find out if it has been
stolen. most people who steel these are pretty good at it and can find a kill switch, try a good medico padlock on the brake pedal. you could also try a chain thru the rim.
good luck

MOWEM IF YOU GOTEM