PDA

View Full Version : Sod roller time-frame

amlico
07-30-2005, 11:23 PM
Concerning a bumpy sod lawn, I was wondering if there is a time-frame regarding how long it has been since the sod was installed for a sod roller to be effective. Is there a time-frame where it won't do much good and topdressing is the only solution? Thanks for any advice.

mcwlandscaping
07-30-2005, 11:26 PM
I have never done sod but i would think that after awhile, the ground undernieth gets compacted to a point where there is no give undernieth to roll out. But, i don't know, just a logical guess.

twindiddy
07-31-2005, 01:44 AM
it should be part of the install. but if it wasn't, you can do it anytime. best results if it's really wet.

sheshovel
07-31-2005, 04:33 AM
Rolling sod when really wet serves to compact the soil and so thats not what you really want.If your lawn is bumpy it is because there are high and low spots that were not raked out and filled or leveled.Also it can be from debri left on top of the soil when sod was laid.I don't think rolling is going to help your problem.Rolling is to give the grass a good firm base and help remove air pockets and done so you can level out the area before and rolling after is to make sure the sod roots get good contact with the soil beneath.If it's real bad the only good solution is to cut and lift and fill the low areas or cut and lift and lower the high ones and put the pieces back in.This is why we say PREP/PREP/PREP for lawns is job#1.

YardPro
07-31-2005, 09:05 AM
core areation will solve the compaction issue.

Runner
07-31-2005, 02:09 PM
Just soak it down with some dep waterings until it's good and soft, and roll it down. The compaction isue is minor compared to the overall results you'll get for maintence. Now is the time.

Turfdude
07-31-2005, 02:35 PM
I agree w/ Runner on this one. If you're worried about compaction, then aerate this fall as suggested by Yard-pro.

twindiddy
07-31-2005, 05:21 PM
i would suggest a 2 ton roller. you can rent one in my area for around $190 per day. we tried those rollers you fill with water or sand. max weight i could find was 700lbs with water. it didn't even phase it.