PDA

View Full Version : trucks

meets1
07-31-2005, 10:23 PM
I have 4 pickups and trailers and one small dump that pulls a trailer as well. We have picked up more snow accounts for this year and all but one truck is 4x4. It is a 85 Ford ext cab. Good over truck, no rust, ect, clean truck ans always pulls a 5th trailer. I am looking at 1. replacing with 4x4. 2. replacing with say a dually with a flat bed, stake body with a 5th wheel. - - -that way I can plow snow, place on a sander/icer during the winter and yet be versital during the summer. Then comes into place a gas/diesel engine and new or used? All this is vs a 3/4 ton pickup.

Would like your thoughts!

mowingtowing
08-04-2005, 08:06 PM
if you get a diesel, dont waste your time with a non turbo diesel, they have next to no power, esp if you pull a heavy trailer

Smalltimer1
08-04-2005, 11:32 PM
if you get a diesel, dont waste your time with a non turbo diesel, they have next to no power, esp if you pull a heavy trailer

But consider that they do get better mileage than the turbocharged diesels for the most part, but not all the time. The 6.9/7.3L IDI's are good motors, slow, but reliable and dependable and fully capable of 18-21mpg. The IDIT's are pretty darn good for an early turbo diesel engine, good mileage, good power, and easy to work on when necessary.

Power Strokes are very nice, in fact if all goes as planned, I will have an '04 PSD with only 3k miles in the driveway tomorrow afternoon. :cool:

UNISCAPER
08-04-2005, 11:56 PM
You are asking people who know nothing of your operations and specific needs to help you decide what truck YOU need most. Every truck you wrote about has a different function, size, capability, etc. Each of your accounts has specific needs as well. Do you plow alot of flat wide open spaces? If so you could weight down a 2wd with a salter and push all night long. If you have slopes and loading docks, you need a 4x4, no way around it. Then there is the landscape seasonal needs....My favorite all round truck was a 4x4 one ton single rear wheel with a dump/stake body and H rated tires. We had a stroked balanced and blueprinted 460 Ford and a C-6 tranny in that one. My favorite indestructable truck is a 1942 Dodge Powerwagon with a 30 ton winch up front and on the rear powered by a 454 cubic inch Chevy Hi- deck motor.

As far as diesel vs gas, once again, you need to ask yourself what will work best...Up side to diesel, lots of smooth flow of power, fuel economy, and less overall maintenance. Down side, fuel gelling up in those sub zero Iowa winters, much higher price tag, and when they do need service, it will be an ankle holding adventure when you get the bill.

Personally, I would not buy a truck without diesel, but then we have a 50K miles per year drive range. We also pull grades daily that range over 4 miles with gradients of 6°-10° and they will kill engines, some brands of trannies, and brakes. All our trucks have Jake brakes or engine brakes to help slow us down on the hills. If you are just running short hauls and do less than 15K a year in milage, diesel probably won't pencil out.

There is yet one more spin on the equation.... If you are going to flip your fleet every few years, you will be able to flip a diesel alot faster than a gasser, for alot more money, at least in our area. Since we went to all diesel trucks, our fuel bills have been cut in half, and our non scheduled maintenance costs have nearly disappeared.

So, you need to push your own pencil, do your own calcs, and get what is best for you....If you are going new vs used, that I can help you with. At one point, after a long hard run of bad luck in life, we ran a fleet that most people would have cut up with a torch. And, the repair bills, looking back into the records far off set the cost of payments and deductions. Also offset are all the weekends I get to spend with my family rather than missing church on Sundays wrenching on trucks and equipment.

There is something that can be said about putting the key in and turning it to go.....

lawnmaniac883
08-06-2005, 12:13 AM
Someone say that Powerstrokes are very nice? LOL, the interior is actually pretty good, but the engine/transmission is great until it falls out from under the truck lol.

SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC
08-06-2005, 12:41 AM
Ok I Will Give You That Powerstrokes Arent The Best Bar None....but Dont Dare Tell Me Duracraps Can Come Close To Them.....wait Maybe Its Just That The Isuzu Designed Engine Is In A Chevy ?????? And The Cummins ? A Great Engine .........too Bad Its In A Dodge......most Dodge Dealers Have No Clue How To Service Them At All ..and You Need A Special Piece Of Paper From Dodge To Take Em To A Cummins Certified Repair Shop Without Screwing The Warranty. Dodge Auto Transmissions Cant Handle The Power It Makes And The Brakes Just Vaporize After A Few Months Of Towing.......so Yeah Im A Ford Guy!!

UNISCAPER
08-06-2005, 10:34 AM
We happen to be building a wall out at one of the senior project engineers for GM who headed up the Duramax project. Since we got rid of every off brand truck we owned and replaced them with Mack's and Chevys, we have had more than one discussion about up side and down sides. First, the Duramax was designed by GM and manufacturerd by Isuzu. The injection system almost was Isuzu but GM went with Robert Bosch at the last minute. Of all the pick up truck style diesels, I can't find too many flaws. We never had an issue with Powerstroke engines, it was the rubber band drive trannies that never should have been allowed, and Ford still has transmission woes.

Given the choice of the big three, GM is reigning king, even though Ford sells more trucks, and that is because they are cheaper.

We just took delivery on a crew cab 4500 duramax....Looking at it compared to the F-450, the 450 is a toy compared to the 4500. It has a 100,000 psi frame, the 450 has a 50,000 psi frame. The rear end on a 450 and springs are half as big. The cab of the 4500 has a Bostrom seat and on board air compressor to level the loads, the 450 has none as an option...And on and on.

Right now, we are Fordless. And Dodgeless, and it is going to stay that way uless some catastropic issues begin happening with the GM trucks.