PDA

View Full Version : mower survey

joshua
03-08-2001, 10:43 AM
which mower strips the best in your opinion?

Eric ELM
03-08-2001, 10:52 AM
Dixie Chopper does a good job even without a striping kit on it. A lot of my pictures are without the kit on it. I just got it last June and a lot of my pictures were taken before that.

BobR
03-08-2001, 11:43 AM
Take a peek at Erics pictures...
I love neat stripes and his are awesome !!!
Bob

joshua
03-08-2001, 12:56 PM
bob, i have looked at them there nice, my lazer z by exmark does the same. but eric says he used a stripping kit in those pics i think (not to sure) i'm asking for your mower of choice on making the best strip?

Scraper
03-08-2001, 01:07 PM
SCAG

cst51
03-08-2001, 01:21 PM
I have a scag and a DC, and the DC stripes much better!!

BobR
03-08-2001, 01:45 PM
Joshua:
Sorry, I suggested Erics pics. because I wish my lawns looked like his (Dixie Chopper) I use a Toro Z HP (52inch) and the stripes are just OK not GREAT.. I checked into a striping kit for my 52 and when I saw what it was I returned it to the dealer (a rubber band to be bolted to the rear edge of my deck - no way).. I am stil looking for an acceptable kit for my rider..

joshua
03-08-2001, 02:01 PM
bob, there was a thread on here not to long ago on strips and it had stripping kit information, they were like a fish net but little chains. all my exmarks look like erics but my lazer looks a little better, but it could be the picture. i geuss it all depends on the person.

muxx
03-08-2001, 02:12 PM
Does anyone know where or how you can purchase a striping kit for the Exmark Lazers?

Eric ELM
03-08-2001, 02:14 PM
Joshua:
Maybe you could post some pictures of your lawns. I am always looking for ways to make mine look better. ;)

JLC
03-08-2001, 03:02 PM
The guys around here stripe great with Walkers. I have a 61 Scag. It stripes decent, but doesn't get quite the contrast that the Walker guys get. If only the Walker could run 10 mph one would be in my shop.

Ben

joshua
03-08-2001, 03:17 PM
eric, as soon as this saeson gets under way, i'll take some pics and post them. i don't have from last year, i never thought of taking any. but i will now.

muxx, my lazer doesn't have a striping kit and it strips the yards real nice. what size lazer is it.

muxx
03-08-2001, 04:01 PM
I have 2 72" and 1 60". They stripe very well, but I have noticed the stripe even better with mulch kit on. I was just curious as to whether they make such a kit for exmark.

joshua
03-08-2001, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by muxx
I have 2 72" and 1 60". They stripe very well, but I have noticed the stripe even better with mulch kit on. I was just curious as to whether they make such a kit for exmark.

yea, with the mulch kit it strips it better i don't know why but it looks great, and alot better. exmark makes a mulching kit ask your dealer about it. in my opinion is the best on the market. it mulches the grass to where you can't see it and the same with leaves. great investiment for less than $200

dfor
03-08-2001, 06:29 PM
I have a 52" Bunton that I bought new in May of 2000. To me it stripes pretty well.

Lawnking
03-08-2001, 06:47 PM
In my area (mpls, minnesota) I dont know of anyone using striping kits. I have been in the golf course business and commerical cutting for 9 years and have never found the need for a striping kit on a commerical rotary mower. The lines my mowers make (snapper and great dane) are quite impressive as they are. In my oppinion striping kits are a waste of money.

Kevin Neely
03-08-2001, 11:24 PM
I too have the 52" Toro Ztr and I was concerned about their stripping kit "the rubber strap". Reluctantly, I had my dealer talk me into it but only after I talked him down in price and I was really amazed on how well it works.
Anyone else who has a Toro Ztr or walk-behind should try it.....It really works great!

mmorgan
03-09-2001, 01:10 AM
I don't understand the huge fuss over striping lawns. I prefer an even colored, dark green, lush looking lawn. I don't want stripes, curves, zig-zags, or someones initials in my front lawn! Why the craze??? Is there a demand for this that my customers havn't picked up on? Can you actually charge more for this, or is this an operators craze instead of a customer craze?

Paradise Yard Service
03-09-2001, 01:53 AM
Striping probably got its popularity with golf course putting greens/baseball fields (you know those awesome ariel helicopter/Goodyear blimp shots?). Then homeowners got into the craze. I do not have an opinion one way or another,just as long as the lawn is mowed. One of my longtime customers hates stripes.

Aloha,
P.Y.S.

KirbysLawn
03-09-2001, 09:28 AM
How do you guys not stripe the lawns? I don't care how I mow the mower leaves stripes, sideways, straight across, whatever, if I mow straight lines it leaves a stripe. I've found no way to avoid it. :D

Eric ELM
03-09-2001, 10:50 AM
I agree with you Ray, how do you not stripe? If you go around and around like a home owner mows, it leaves half the lawn dark and the other half light. IMHO, that does not look good at all.

guntruck
03-09-2001, 11:19 AM
My chariot does quite well on thick grass cut at 2.5 or higher. This season im gonna make a piece of aluminum angle to fit on the back with chain link bolted like every three inches or so, this should work beautifully!! If it does im gonna make some for my w/b's.

BobR
03-09-2001, 11:23 AM
Any lawn care preson worth his/her stripes does not go round and round.. and a pattern always looks neater if the stripes are well defined.
my 2 bits

joshua
03-09-2001, 02:15 PM
kirby, i agree with you how can't you strip the lawn if you go back and forth, sure some make the strips darker and some make them lighter.

Duncan IN
03-09-2001, 03:16 PM
I have to say that as a scag owner they don't stripe to well without a stripe kit. Plus it also depends on the grass. If you are mowing some grass with alot of weeds, then you might as well forget it, but when you mow a nice lawn you can lay some sharp lines down. I put a stripe kit on my 61 scag and it does a really good job. As much as I hate to say it though, DC does an excellant job at striping, w/kit or without. Scag is just better built though.

levi

SodFather
03-09-2001, 04:25 PM
I only own Scag, so of course I would say that. I have never tried any other brands.

coyeote
04-25-2002, 07:43 PM
Kevin Neely are you still using the striping rubber that your dealer talked you into?

BRB

rodfather
04-25-2002, 10:30 PM
Our Ferris 52's and 61's WB's stripe well...though our couple of Toro Groundsmasters (72"s) don't do nearly the job as well. Kind of keep them to blow out the big jobs at this time of the year when the grass is going ballistic.

SJR Lawncare
04-25-2002, 10:40 PM
My 52 Scag is the worst, I dont know what Scag owners are talking about..they stripe horribly!

Holloway Lawns
04-25-2002, 11:51 PM
How do any of you think a 36 inch Toro Walk behind will stripe? Any ways to get it to stripe good?

mklawnman
04-26-2002, 12:41 AM
Hey SJR Lawncare
Ive gotten my 52inch Scag Turf Tiger with the Advantage Deck to stripe very nice. Just needs to be in the right type of grass to stripe well not always happy with the stripe at times but mostly stripes nicely. May not be as good as the Dixie Chopper but id have to say it is up their. Our Scag 52 SWZ Advantage that we just got stripes perfectly, id say better than the Turf Tiger , im a Scag man now used to be Deere man.
Matt(lawnman)