PDA

View Full Version : Fert....Talstart.....Lime...all at one time?

SouthernYankee
08-02-2005, 01:24 AM
My father in laws lawn is in need of some help. It was a big money job in a very high end neighborhood. The lawn needs to be treated for chinch bugs, which I will knock out with some talstar.

The lawn hasnt been fertilized in about a year and it hasnt had any lime in probally four years. Although I am new to st.augstine (only dealt with fescue up north) I am sure that the lawn needs some lime.

My question is can I apply talstar, fert and lime all in one application or should I apply talstar , wait and apply the fert and talstar in a week or so?

Also what is the perfered ph for st.augstine? The lawn is pretty healthy( besides the chinch bugs) but it is a little yellow compared to the neighbors yards. The lawn has irrigation and its on almost every morning. thanks for the help.

FINN
08-02-2005, 07:41 AM
I would get a soil test for a baseline. Might want to check with extension agent in your area for info on St. Augutine.

arborist-28
08-02-2005, 08:17 AM
Soil sample and lime to bring the pH into a proper range. Soil pH should be between 6.0 and 7.0...c if you have the time I would apply the talsar now and then in about 5-7 days the fertilizer .. the limes going to take about 6 months to actively change the ph ..

Ric
08-02-2005, 10:27 AM
I would get a soil test for a baseline. Might want to check with extension agent in your area for info on St. Augutine.

Yankee

Forget the lime for now and get a soil test. St Augustine will grow on soil with a ph of any where between 5 and 10. You might be surprised to find Texas soils are not as acidic as northern soils. Yes you can put down Talstar and fert at the same time, In fact they make a combo product of Talstar and fert. Quickest way to knock down chinch bugs it liquid. In Fact a hose end sprayer on your garden hose and good old dish soap, does a nice job.