PDA

View Full Version : Too Many Robins?

jeffinsgf
08-02-2005, 09:41 AM
I have always considered robins a sign of a healthy soil, since they're after the earthworms. I moved onto our 10 acre property about a year ago and was disappointed with the lawn. When I got some of the other major projects done, I finally got to tackle the yard starting a few weeks ago. I have reshaped and graded, installed an irrigation system and sown zoysia. I did not incorporate any compost, which I regret. My soil is a blend of sandy clay, rocks - both limestone and igneous, and loam. If you don't like the soil structure, move 20 feet, it will be different. What is consistent is that we have the biggest earthworms I have ever seen, and lots of them. Since I got the sprinklers up and running, I have noticed that as many as a dozen robins will be in the yard shortly after the sprinkler cycle ends. Are they robbing my soil? Should I try to chase them off to save the worms? Or is the balance of nature at work?

Very interesting forum. I am "jumpstarting" my lawn with products from "Nature's Lawn", but will experiment with some of the methods discussed here in the future.