PDA

View Full Version : trailer lights are not working

bobcatnj
08-02-2005, 05:21 PM
i have a 15 ft open trailer and the light are not working. i checked all the wires and they seem fine (not cut or broke). the only time the lights work is when i put the headlights on, but none of the blinkers work. any suggestions??

BSDeality
08-02-2005, 05:59 PM
blown fuse probably.

RedWingsDet
08-02-2005, 07:36 PM
on open trailers, its easier to just re-do the wiring. atleast thats what I did on two of my open trailers.

bobcatnj
08-02-2005, 07:40 PM
i did re-do the wiring. thats why i cant figure it out

RedWingsDet
08-02-2005, 07:42 PM
check the ground, bulbs, and fuses.

nobagger
08-02-2005, 08:28 PM
bobcatnj, I know Fords had problems with the light switch itself that maybe why it only works with headlights on. Also check the ground for the light connector on the truck. It can only be a couple of things. Check fuses for tail and stop lights. Good luck! :waving:

grass_cuttin_fool
08-03-2005, 05:49 AM
Make sure that the wire harness is grounded good on both ends. 90% of light problems are bad grounds

wushaw
08-03-2005, 10:18 PM
Only your blinkers don't work which means your brake lights probably don't work either. Did you make sure your bulbs are 1157 or dual fillament bulbs and they are good. You can ohm them out to verify they are good.

RedWingsDet
08-04-2005, 12:31 AM
its only the brake and blinker on the driverside. passenger side is flawless

greywynd
08-04-2005, 01:15 AM
Main thing to do is to divide it into smaller pieces and work through each. Separate the truck and trailer, then check the truck over. Use a test light at the trailer connector to see what's working (or not) there. You can also use a battery or battery charger and hook up to the trailer to test the lights there. If it seems to be one light somewhere (say a rear taillight) start at the trailer connector. Make sure there is power at the connection itself. Then look to see if you can find a connection that you can use the test light on in the harness (often there is a join within a few feet of the connector itself.) If you have power there, go to the connection at the taillight and make sure power is getting that far, if it is, take the bulb out, and test the terminals that would touch the bulb...and so on.....

Just like a big jigsaw puzzle, do it one small piece at a time. I currently have 6 trailers sitting in the yard, all 10+ years old, and the only one that got completely rewired was because there were so many joins in the wires. Here the winter road salt gets into the connections and corrodes them, I used to have to replace the trailer plug on my trucks every year. Now, with some more (and likely better) TLC, I usually get two years out of them.

bobcatnj
08-05-2005, 04:43 PM
i checked the lights, ground, fuses and they all seem fine 2 me. i tested the wires with a volt meter making sure there is power and it was fine. DAMN lights still dont work