PDA

View Full Version : Chinch during dry conditions

tocs93
08-02-2005, 08:26 PM
How can you tell if damage to a lawn was from drought conditions or chinch bugs? We are once again having very hot and dry conditions here in western PA and there are planty of lawns suffering from lack of water. However, I did identify a few chinch bugs in a lawn and was wondering if I should even treat for them at this point. Any advice?

Russ
08-03-2005, 07:51 AM
Tug on the leaf. If it breaks and pulls away easily it's probably cinch damage. If you examine the base where it broke away and find a sawdust like material (fras), you have chinch bug damage. Round these parts chinch bug and 2nd hatch sod webworms are almost always mistaken for drought damage.

turf78
08-03-2005, 09:43 AM
If you pull leaf and it breaks around the crown area you have Bill bugs not Chich Bugs. Chinch Bugs pull "sap" from grass plants and leave a toxin behind that thins the turf. Treat the Chinch Bugs now, then again in the late spring.

grassguy_
08-03-2005, 10:33 AM
turf78 glad you corrected that, lol, the tug test is for billbud damage that different than checking for chinchbug. To Identify chinchbug damage it will usually require the "on the hands and knees test" , get down to ground level and check the fringe areas to ares which have or show stress, the fringe areas where there is still green , active plant material to feed on. This will be where the chinchbugs will be feeding and cruising for food. Be sure to pull back on the grass to see the soil surface and the thatch/soil interface, this is where they will be actively traveling from plant to plant during feeding. You will need to do this usually in several areas as infestations will travel along the fringe areas, whereever the SALAD BAR IS BEST! anther way to find chinchbugs is to do the coffee can test, where you tamp a coffee can into the soil, open on both ends and then fill with water, after a few minutes you will have chinchbugs doing the backstoke in the can if they are present! in most situations this test will also indicate other insects as well, but in the field most guys don't have this capability. It seems chinchbugs temd to be most prevalent in lawns of fine fescue and bentgrass, where fine fesuce will harbor them with a decent thatch layer and bentgrass will tend to have plenty of plant tissue and mat to protect them as well. Good Luck!!

Russ
08-04-2005, 08:25 AM
My bad guys and thanks for the correction. Maybe I need to think a little more before I type. Thanks again.