PDA

View Full Version : which 30" hedge trimmer? stihl, kawasaki, other? single side?

bmxican
08-02-2005, 11:37 PM
I've looked at a couple of stihl models. they have the hs-85 single sided, and the hs-80 double sided. both are $389. the double sided is a bit heavier, and the single side model has a good weight distribution feel when I'm holding the handles.

at the lesco dealer they have a single sided 30" Kawasaki for $339, it looks pretty good. Anybody have opinions on these model or a different recommendation? can a single sided hedge trimmer be good for all around hedge work. not being able to to sweep back and forth in two directions seems like it could be a disadvantage.

I do have an older echo double sided hedge trimmer, which will be a good back-up. thanks for any advice :waving:

Brianslawn
08-02-2005, 11:51 PM
i got stihl double sided with 3 position handle. 24" i think. not sure of model # but would never use anything else again. 1/2 inch tree branch is nothing to these. even cut up to 2 inch tree branches. most my stihl equip is one or two pull starts. hedge trimmers a bit more tricky, though for some reason.
let us know what you like.

specialtylc
08-03-2005, 01:00 AM
For pure power and durability I like the Shindaiwa that I have . But for using 8 hours a day I prefer the Tanaka 26 inch. I have owned or still own Stihl,Tanaka,Shin,Little Wonder,Redmax. The Tanaka 26 inch double is my favorite.

dcplace2004
08-03-2005, 02:00 AM
it has a huge fuel tank and cuts like a knife...I know it is not 30 inches, but it is a nice trimmer from what I have seen so far...I may be wrong though...

Tanaka
08-03-2005, 12:30 PM
I've looked at a couple of stihl models. they have the hs-85 single sided, and the hs-80 double sided. both are $389. the double sided is a bit heavier, and the single side model has a good weight distribution feel when I'm holding the handles.

at the lesco dealer they have a single sided 30" Kawasaki for $339, it looks pretty good. Anybody have opinions on these model or a different recommendation? can a single sided hedge trimmer be good for all around hedge work. not being able to to sweep back and forth in two directions seems like it could be a disadvantage.

I do have an older echo double sided hedge trimmer, which will be a good back-up. thanks for any advice :waving:

Compare the Tanaka THT-210S vs the Stihl HS 80 http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=111952

out4now
08-03-2005, 01:02 PM
Depends on what you like. I like single sides but a lot of the hedges I did were olenander and thicker type materials. I've used a Little Wonder, an Echo, a really junky Deere and a Sthil. I liked the Little Wonder alot but for all day trimming the Sthil felt more comfortable to me. For pole hedge trimmer, Sthil hands down was the best I tried. Felt very balanced. If you'r ereally going to be doing alot of shapping and fine detail work the double side may be better.

Mowman29
08-04-2005, 12:52 AM
I think tanaka is the best to get. I own one and they have to have 50-60 hours on them and still start on the 1st pull. bought them in may. Best products I have ever bought. next year I think I going to replace my trimmers with tanaka.

jebbster007
08-10-2005, 07:40 PM
i use a sthil pole one(about four feet)like the other guy. love it dont want another. 4 years acts like new plus doing low stuff not so much bending over for hours. a little heaver but much more versitile. nice piece

jebbster007
08-10-2005, 07:45 PM
about the singles. it has its purpose or uses but the one i just mentioned is worth the $$$$$$. its longer,well balanced,and well why have more than you need when the preformance is there? I can sell ice to an eskimo
jeb