PDA

View Full Version : southern florida's mowing season

big mike
03-08-2001, 03:29 PM
can anyone out there give me some info on the mowing season in southern florida,around the palm beach or ft. lauderdale area.Do they mow all year around?if they don't how many months do they get in?

Fantasy Lawns
03-08-2001, 03:48 PM
In Cocoa Beach ... we only accept yearly contracts which pay the same amount each month ...works out to 40-42 cuts a year ..some premium & commercial accounts are recieving (weekly) service right now (they pay more)...but our normal season is weekly April thru Oct ....bi weekly Nov thru March ..fair to say this general service routine is close to your area as your about 150 miles south of us ....call a large local company an ask em ;->

lsylvain
03-12-2001, 07:36 PM
From what I hear they all mow year round. I just happen to be down in sarasota FL for a week rest up before the season back in WV. In about 10 minutes I saw 6 differnt companies drive by. It must be really competitive down this way.

joshua
03-12-2001, 07:39 PM
from talking to most guys from flodia they mow weekly until december then biweekly til middle march. you guys are so spoiled.

TJLC
03-12-2001, 09:43 PM
Yes, it is very competitive down here. Average lot size is 80x125. $18.00-20.00 per cut. Very hard to get yearly, at least it has been for me. My 6 commericals carry me through the slow times, thank God. As I type this it is about 70-75 degrees. Still no rain though. I'm cutting somewhat now, but not nearly as much as I will be soon. I do have plenty of business. I think there is enough for everyone, but we have our lowballers just like everyone else. They usually don't last too long. Weather wise, a great place to live. Wages for general labor are very low. The best way to make it is to have your own business. We picked up and moved from Cincinnati going on 3 years ago. No regrets so far. Sorry,babbling again.

eggy
03-12-2001, 10:14 PM
Hey.I have been thinking about that a long time!!!Just what South Florida needs is me and another lawn care buisness....this southern Indiana winter is awful to cold to mow..and no snow to push!!!!

lawnman_scott
03-12-2001, 11:15 PM
I do all mine weekly from apirl 1 to oct 31 and bi-weekly the rest of the year, about 40 cuts. the off weeks are for vacation and fixing the house. im in st petersburg. Millions of lawn services tree services, and pest control around, but doesnt seem overly competative to me.

big mike
03-12-2001, 11:39 PM
THANK'S EVERYONE FOR ALL THE IMPUT THIS IS MY LAST SEASON IN MICHIGAN,I'II SEE YA IN FLORIDA AROUND NOV.KEEP ALL THE INFO COMIN.
BIG MIKE

lsylvain
03-13-2001, 09:59 PM
lawnman_scott

I was just in St. Pete today I could not beleive how green everything is there. The grass is never that green in WV. I've been drooling all week.