PDA

View Full Version : Mulch Delivery

double e
03-08-2001, 03:40 PM
I'm getting ready to concrete a pad and put up a mulch bin.

My best friend is manager at are local nursery that delivers 95% of mulch to home owners.
He told me to start getting into delveries with my dump truck.
My shop is on the main street of the town. I'm thinking of getting a sign done that says- mulch deliveries: evenings and weekdays.
Might even pick up some mulching jobs

Does any one else do this?

Guido
03-08-2001, 03:46 PM
Theres definetly money to be made there, and your right, it can and will lead to some jobs if its marketed correctly. If you set the right price where this will make you good money, it will be worth while to add this to your services; or even scheduele just enough to fill in your slow days. It's also good for rainy days and dark hours.

Let us know how it works out for you!

joshua
03-08-2001, 04:07 PM
yea i did 2 jobs last year just delevery great money, you get paid to sit there mostly if you have a dump, i did mine in the morning before i could cut. i say go for it you have nothing to lose, right?

lawnboy82
03-08-2001, 06:14 PM
how do you do that and how do you charge?
i have places that i can put some mulch, but i mean do i go and get the mulch at a yard and then bring it to the customer at a markup? or do i get it like 100 yards at a time and then sell it to the customer? if i get 100 yards at a time though that means i have to have a loader on site all the time. i dont own a loader which makes it more interesting, the place i am gonna be keeping my stuff at this year they have a large john deere tractor with a loader, but if i cant sell 100 yards of mulch then i have to eat it because it wont last 2 seasons, even 1 season is a little too long right? starts to decompose? interesting subject though.

lawnboy82
03-08-2001, 06:18 PM
actually i had thought of something a couple weeks ago-
i do tree work. i get chips from that, i have friends that do tree work, they get chips. a tub grinder is 4,000 dollars a day to rent. if you get it for 2 days or more it becomes 3,500 per day. so the question now is, how many yards can a tub grinder put out in a day, and then how many yards would you have to sell to make the money back on the tub grinder alone at lets say 20 dollars a yard. (for homeowners) + delivery ** note there are several places around here where the prices vary greatly for brown mulch. anywhere from 10 dollars to 25 dollars a yard. plus delivery so is it really worth it?

Scraper
03-09-2001, 08:11 AM
Lawnboy82 - Good idea, but you'd need to let the wood chips age before you were able to sell them. Fresh wood "green" chips will suck the nitrogen out of the soil competing with the plants for nutrients. If you can stockpile then you'd be set. Also, most of the mulch used in my area is shredded wood bark and hardwood as opposed to ground. I don't know what you're area is big for.

sgreanbean
03-09-2001, 08:25 AM
we have a well established tree service as well. we have this huge pile of chips! dont really sell it, some people use it for fill but no one wants it, does the tube grinder turn the chips into decent mulch! and do you dye it?

lawnboy82
03-09-2001, 07:45 PM
sgreanbean- if you know people with nurseries or whatever you can "stockpile" chips and then bring in a tub grinder my thing is though that i dont know how many yards it can process in a day. also i think you would need a loader on site. but once a tub grinder has gone over it with a fine screen you get nice shredded mulch. now what the guys over by me do is they do land clearing but also they take stuff.
lets say i go and cut down a pine tree - load the truck - take it to them - pay them 10$ per yard of material - leave
they grind the stuff up - they have millions of dollars of machines there - i think it gets ground up 2 times (from stumps or logs) then they load it right into your truck for another 10 $ a yard. so i mean it may be a good deal, but that is what they do. so you might make some money by getting chips and what not from other people (have them pay you to get rid of it) then bring in a grinder then have them pay you to get their chips in a nicer form. YOU HAVE TO HAVE A LARGE AREA TO STORE THESE CHIPS IN AND HAVE A BIG ROAD TO GET THAT MACHINE IN THERE!

kutnkru
03-10-2001, 12:28 AM
dbl e

I have not gotten into deliveries, but what we have been doing is combineing our orders with other colleagues in the biz to get a better rate. We get the products delivered in 70 yd loads, and then just devie up what we need amongst ourselves.

I would definitely encourage you to pursue this venture. If nothing else, people will always mulch especially during a drought to help protect their plantings.

Good Luck this spring!
Kris