PDA

View Full Version : double blades and bagging

JOshua Gallerick
03-08-2001, 06:20 PM
I have A john deere 455 with powerflow bagger and 19 bushel cart and I was thinking that if i run double blades when i bag that this will cut down on the volume of grass that I collect. Is this true or am I off. I ran gator bades last year and it did cut down on some of the grass volume but not much. Thanks

Eric ELM
03-08-2001, 06:33 PM
Yes it will cut down the clippings size and make it pack in better. I have a homemade 22 bushel lawn vac that I made for my 430 John Deere. Before 1994 I picked up leaves and grass with it and it would get so heavy with grass clippings it made the front end of that diesel pretty light. I ran doubles on it and it worked good and I also ran them on a 332 JD diesel I owned before the 430 JD. This was back before I had heard of Gators, so it was 2 sets of stock blades. Try a set of regular and a set of Gators on it. I think that would be a good combo for that. Let us know how it works out for you.

JOshua Gallerick
03-08-2001, 07:15 PM
Thanks eric how much does that striping kit cost for the dc and do you always leave it on.

John DiMartino
03-08-2001, 07:21 PM
I ran doubles and bagged with my Dixie Chopper-it does allow you to fit more in,I tried double gators,I can go for ever on one bag worth,but it doesnt suck as good as a reg lift,and gator.I will keep using the doubles when i bag-go for it.

Eric ELM
03-08-2001, 07:22 PM
It is around $300, but you could make one for $50 or less. All you need is a piece of angle iron and about 40 feet of chain. I have only had it since June 2000 and I have never taken it off yet.

JOshua Gallerick
03-08-2001, 08:08 PM
eric,
how do you go about putting the homemade striping kit together. Nice lawn pictures. Im going to attempt top match your pictures this year.

Ssouth
03-08-2001, 09:20 PM
I have run double blades on an Exmark 48" HP when bagging. It does reduce the clippings consideralbly but it also cause extra blow out from the deck. I have since gone back to the single high lifts when bagging leaves. ( By the way, I only use the bagger for leave clean-ups.)