PDA

View Full Version : z-sprayer on hills

turftender
08-03-2005, 06:52 PM
Can anyone tell me how to navigate hills with a z-sprayer I don't have any problems doing them with a perma-junk but I just slide all over with a z-sprayer

Puttinggreens
08-05-2005, 06:42 PM
I have tackled a couple steep hills by going straight up the hill spraying, taken an alternate path down more safey, then sprayed back up the hill. Of course I do this when the ground is dry, although as soon as you spray the turf is wet but not as much a heavy dew.

I also may spray at at much slower speed,, maybe 3mph. Takes some simple calibration but it is still much easier than dragging a hose.

From my golf course days with many different pieces of equipment, going straight up a hill is always safer than trying to go down one.

FINN
08-05-2005, 06:56 PM
Straight up as suggested. It will climb most anything if you approach it this way. Or... you can start from the bottom and work up the hill in a back and forth pattern. This way works because you will be turning up hill instead of down. It's a runaway train (as you know) when turning down hill.

I do it both ways depending on the hill.

GrazerZ
08-05-2005, 10:45 PM
about the same suggestions from me. When I was first learning on it I got the ride of my life down a hill into a huge forsythia bush. Freaked me out a little, but I learned the limits of the machine. I do have some areas that I still have to pull hose, just not a safe thing to do with the z spray. No one machine will do everything you want it to, but my z is close as I need it to be.

fert40
08-06-2005, 12:11 AM
I have the same problem. One time on a steep hill I slide down and my z-spray became lodged on a large rock in the landscape. Looked really bad, I had to take my truck and pull the z-spray off the rock up onto the drive way. Customer was more concerned if I got hurt when I hit the rock. z-spray was fine. No one machine can do everything but I am very happy with my Z over my previous two PG's.

SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC
08-06-2005, 12:24 AM
And What Exactly Is Wrong With Dragging A Hose ??????

Let Me Guess , You Have That Yellow Rubbery Crap On Your Hose ReEl ? :rolleyes:

turfmann
08-06-2005, 08:24 AM
He's right, to a point.

Flat terrain = machine

Hilly terrain = hose, or hand spreader

Flat terrain + hose = short painful career in lawn care

Hilly terrain + machine = big problems (found that out the hard way)

I sure would like to have a tortoise and hare race with you someday, though