PDA

View Full Version : michigan lawn season

cutterj
03-08-2001, 06:28 PM
hi, i'm just startin out this year and am wondering when u guys in michigan start your season. So far i have heard april 1st. that sound right???

bdemir
03-08-2001, 07:49 PM
The second to third week of april usually for me but this year im not sure. There is still snow in the ground and thats only one month away.

Bedros

Eric Green
03-08-2001, 10:09 PM
I'm dreading all of this snow and cold weather we're having. I have some pruning scheduled for the week of 3/12/01. Just to play around alittle bit. We'll see how it goes. 4/01 looks iffy... with a high of 42 I don't do well in anything under 50 unless I have a Western or Meyers in front of me.

Eric

What part of MI are you in CUTTER?

Eric ELM
03-08-2001, 10:32 PM
I am across the pond from you and we are probably even some south of you. A year ago yesterday and today, it was 78 degrees, today it was 34. Last year we started April 1st and if this spring doesn't warm up soon, it could be the 2nd or 3rd week in April before we start. April 21st is the lastest we have started. I'm ready for some of that 70 degree weather. ;)

Runner
03-08-2001, 10:39 PM
I start as soon as we can. Many of times, there is still some snow on the ground where the piles were pushed. There is STILL always alot of cleanup and stuff to do. Even right now, I have alot of trimming and tree work to be done. I only do this on the rather fair days though.

gway
03-08-2001, 11:35 PM
we are out almost every year on mar 15th with our first app and hopefully well be out early apr doing our first cut but there is always sooooooo...much work to be done that all of us put off and now we need to cram it all in in about 2 weeks...why do we do this to ourselves?? estimates need to be done office work new adv all the same s**t...

hey erik ...are you with comp lawns?? just asknn...

[Edited by Eric ELM on 03-09-2001 at 04:39 AM]

CCLC
03-09-2001, 12:33 AM
We generally start mowing by the 2nd week in April. We'll start clean ups and other misc stuff a couple of weeks earlier.

cutterj

Where abouts in Michigan are you?

Eric ELM
03-09-2001, 12:40 AM
Gway, I never heard of them. No I have my own lawn company, ELM.

Runner
03-09-2001, 01:04 AM
Eric, I think he was talking to the other Erik, with a k.

Eric ELM
03-09-2001, 01:10 AM
I don`t think we have a Eric with a K on Lawnsite. I figured since he was in my area, he was referring to me, but you could be right. ;)

GreenQuest Lawn
03-09-2001, 01:27 AM
Normaly spring cleanups start april 1st and mowing two weeks later. but i agree, This year could be later if we dont get these temps up and all this snow off the ground.

cutterj
03-09-2001, 03:48 PM
thanx for the replies. I am in the sterling Heights area. I'm in the process of passin out flyers, got 9 customesr as of now. I don't expect to be gettin many calls til april, seein as its snowin right now!!!

MOW ED
03-09-2001, 08:37 PM
Calumet Michigan lawn season starts july 15 and ends sept 1. Tough for da inlaws to make a buck hey.

But they sure can keep their beer cold for free alot longer;)

Eric Green
03-12-2001, 10:20 PM
No, I'm an Eric with a (C) as well, and I own my own company.
Hey has anyone ever power-raked this early?... with the lawn being dormant,it won't cause any stress or anything will it?
I've been selling them in the Spring clean-up package and boy is it taking off!! I'm actually below the the thumb in MI which puts me in metro Detroit with all the rain and stuff. Beleive it or not it really brings notice to your company to be out passing out fliers and knocking on doors in this crappy weather. We've been out for about 3 weeks now with about 500 fliers a week and the phone is ringing off the hook! I think the clients are just as anxious as we are!!

Runner
03-13-2001, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by gway

hey erik ...are you with comp lawns?? just asknn...

[Edited by Eric ELM on 03-09-2001 at 04:39 AM] [/B]

My mistake! This must be where I got the k idea from. Anyway, to Eric with the power rake question; There is no sense in power raking this early as the grass hasn't even started coming out of dormancy yet. When grass is dormant, it does not have a strong root hold with the live rhizomes. Therefore, you will be tearing out a great deal of good grass, probably outweighing the benefit of the health of the turf. ANY time you power rake or thatch, you tear out good grass, but if the grass is actively growing, (or atleast starting) atleast you will be leaving MORE good grass there. This is one of the biggest reasons why dethatching is recommended to be done in the fall, when grass is strong and well established from the season, not the spring, when grass is still weak. I used to power rake in the spring all the time ( when grass was coming out of dormancy) and it always seemed to help the grass along a little faster by combing it out and geting it breathing again- as long as too much is not taken out, like in thatching. Now, I just use a 60" JRCO rake and sweep the entire turf areas in some cases. It works great. Incidentally, I met and talked to the president and owner of JRCO at the Detroit show this last week. VERY nice man! :)