PDA

View Full Version : Enclosed or not enclosed

Something D
08-03-2005, 08:56 PM
Hey gang, I am seriously thinking about getting and enclosed trailer this fall for my equipment. Currently I have a 7x14 open trailer. Right now I do not have a garage where I live so I have to cover all my equipment in case it rains. Right now we have our house up for sale and we are looking at houses right now. One with a garage for sure. But, I will still have my equipment loaded and ready to go for the next day so I think covering the equipment will still be an issue. I know a good enclosed trailer will run around 5k so I am wondering if it is truely worth the investment. What are some other advantages and disadvantages of having and enclosed vs open trailer.

lawnmaniac883
08-03-2005, 09:02 PM
Ok so honestly, I dont have an enclosed trailer, but if given the choice, I would say go for it. Your equipment is much less likely to be stolen, vandalized, and flat out weathered if it is in an enclosed trailer. A slight disadvantage is ease of loading and unloading. Instead of walking beside your trailer and puttin your trimmer in the rack, you have to go inside the dang thing and put your trimmer up. Same goes for fueling up your equipment at a gas station, instead of pulling up and fueling, you may have to unload, fuel, reload, etc. Aside from that, the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. A big advantage is that if you get one with a table up front, then you can store tools there, saving a little bit of grief when trying to gather up all your tools for a blade change, etc. This is just my opinion, but I would have to go with the enclosed.

Toy2
08-03-2005, 09:11 PM
Enclosed, you really need both in this biz so keep the open

ed2hess
08-03-2005, 09:20 PM
The closed trailer gives a bit of security when on the job site if you are solo but don't be fooled they can still break into them. It is hard to start hydro machines in the closed trailer to back them out. It does save putting tarp on nightly. But from a pure standpoint of efficiency the open trailer is better for crews. You can get to stuff easier.

Itsgottobegreen
08-03-2005, 11:13 PM
enclosed is the way to go. But when you go enclosed you always need a bigger trailer. If you have a 7 by 14 now. Get a 8 by 20. Trust me. I replaced a 7 by 14 with a 7 by 16 and its too small. The stuff hanging on the sides make it smaller on the inside.

SouthernYankee
08-04-2005, 12:33 AM
Even though I only have a 6x12, I would recomend getting an enclosed. You can go inside a store and you dont have to worry about someone trying to rip you off when your away from your rig.

Get one with plywood interior wood, not lunan that stuff sucks

Itsgottobegreen
08-04-2005, 01:41 AM
O yea. Look at Wells cargo enclosed trailers only. Nothing else comes close to the contructions. They are built for 15 years of commerical abuse. Trust me they are.

Turf Dancer
08-05-2005, 06:01 AM
I just went from a 5X10 Open to a 7X16 Enclosed Pace! It is going to be great once I get everything mounted in the next two weeks. I am trying to figure out how to tie down the ZTR, I was going to mount swivel D rings in the floor and use heavy duty ratchet straps but I am going to have to figure something else out.

scholzee
08-05-2005, 09:11 AM
As for fueling you may want to get gas doors, they are small doors which open on the side allowing a fuel nozzle to pass through. this will save you from unloading to fuel.

CAL-LANDSCAPER
08-05-2005, 10:26 AM
I've been using enclosed trailers since I started
Open trailers for maintenance seemed to easy for theft of equipt
I do have one 8x16 open - used to haul tractor and bulk materials
There are so many advantages to enclosed trailers
And you have a moving billboard for advertising

Ric
08-05-2005, 11:05 AM
Enclosed, you really need both in this biz so keep the open

Toy

You are 100% correct. For what you can sell an open trailer for used, you could make in one day on the right job. Trailer are cheap to keep once you own them. They can be set up for different jobs and left until you need them again. I keep one little 5 X 10 with spray tanks on it for those special jobs. I also have another small 5 X 10 that use to haul what ever from my motorcycle for fun to plant for a job. I also have a dump trailer and a few enclosed. I made a Mistake by selling a 16 ft flat bed trailer with no side rails. Boy I wished I had that one back and I only got $ 700 for it.

Doesn't matter if you're a one man band or a big time operator extra trailers come in real handy when the need arises.

Toy2
08-05-2005, 03:28 PM
I got lucky with the open, $1400.00 for it, I priced it the other day $2200.00....just lucked out!!! :)

Something D
08-08-2005, 08:11 AM
Thanks for the input. I plan on keeping the open trailer for mulch and odds n ends. I have been looking at Wells Cargo because they seem to have a trailer designed for our line of work.

Thanks again,

Ric
08-08-2005, 08:53 AM
Thanks for the input. I plan on keeping the open trailer for mulch and odds n ends. I have been looking at Wells Cargo because they seem to have a trailer designed for our line of work.

Thanks again,

Something

Check out the Haulmark also they are less expensive and almost as well build as the Wells Cargo. I have Hualmarks and have had no trouble with them.

Something D
08-08-2005, 11:54 AM
Thanks Ric, I will

nhlakes
08-12-2005, 08:36 AM
One ‘con’ that I haven’t noticed on here for an enclosed trailer is how difficult it can be for a solo operator to back the thing up in certain situations.

We have a large enclosed trailer, but I decided to have my son start out with an open trailer while working solo so he could avoid getting into precarious situations where he had to back up with little room and no visibility.

Regardless of how much experience you have with trailers, backing a 20’+, full width, full height box around a tight corner, with parked vehicles surrounding you, can be a challenge.

With smaller enclosed trailers this shouldn’t be a problem.

Depending on your situation, the advantages of an enclosed trailer may be worth risk of getting into a tight spot, but I figured I’d toss this one in here as a consideration.

I have about $8K into our large aluminum, smooth sided, v-nose trailer and decided not to take the risk of having a solo operator run into trouble with it.

Boycea
08-15-2005, 08:59 PM
I have had both and now am running an enclosed 24' trailer. I upgraded to this this past spring from a 16' open trailer. I like the security and protection from the elements that my equipment receive. I also like the billboard advertising that the trailer will provide when I get it lettered up. Those are the pro's, now here are the con's. I don't like the extra weight and feel that I am almost beating my truck up towing the thing around, I am currently using a 1997 powerstroke with 100k miles on it. I also have noticed the fuel consumption has gone up since switching to the enclosed. Another con is the lack of fuel doors on my trailer. If you are ordering a new trailer make sure you get the fuel doors. I have to fill up the 5 gallon cans and then use those to fill up the equipment. good luck.

Eclipse
08-15-2005, 09:31 PM
Another con is the lack of fuel doors on my trailer. If you are ordering a new trailer make sure you get the fuel doors. I have to fill up the 5 gallon cans and then use those to fill up the equipment. good luck.

I don't understand why this is such a big deal for most. It seems quite a few guys complain about it. I didn't fill up at the pump very often when I had an open trailer, but it sounds that most are used to filling up the mowers at the pump. I filled the mower's once a week and then filled 5 gallon cans to get me through the rest of the week, seemed to save time by not having to stop at the gas station so frequently. It is really not much different than what I am doing now with my enclosed. JMHO

As far as fuel economy with an enclosed trailer, definitely less.

I don't think I would like having a crew tow and enclosed trailer. It's not as easy to see around and too easy to damage if you are not careful.

The only reason I would go back to an open equipment hauler is if I decide to go to a landscape bed on the back of a dually truck, but even then I would like it to be enclosed (probably be a cabover then).

Something D
08-17-2005, 05:38 AM
More than likely I will be ordering an 8x16 enclosed this fall. I am solo for the most part except when I get backed up then I get help from my wife. I will not have more than two ztr, 21inch, and weedeaters, blowers, tools etc. I think a 16ft will be enough.

Talking with several trailer reps I realize there are a ton of options when ordering. Couple of you recommend the fuel doors and I have even heard some recommend the line x sprayed on the floor of the trailer. Do any of you have any other recommendations that make life easier when purchasing an enclosed. I am not looking for the best most expensive full of frills trailer. Just the most bang for my buck. I liked Wells lawn care set up for the PVC Racks. Potential savings of $800.00+ with the PVC racks vs metal. I have also seen you can get side vents on the trailer vs vents in the roof. D ring tie downs on the floor.

What are your recommendations.

nhlakes
08-17-2005, 07:31 AM
A front V nose w/ ramp will allow you to pull stuff out of the front of the trailer without moving everything in th rear. Also if you are working in the trailer opening the front ramp makes a HUGE difference in cooling it off by increasing air flow. I ordered mine insulated and paneled with plain wood then painted the interior myself. I mixed fine sand with the floor paint to provide a gritty surface for increased traction - I used lots if grit on the ramps. D rings are easy enough to install yourself.

TWUllc
08-17-2005, 10:03 PM
I'll be purchasing an enclosed trailer during the winter, and getting it setup for the '06 season. I'm a little hesitant on what width to buy, a 7 or 8 foot width. Length will be 18 foot. Any suggestions? Thanks.

cash_money
08-17-2005, 10:38 PM
i would go for the eight footer if it were me. I'll also be getting an enclosed trailers from Haulmark may be an 18 or the 20 footer 8.5 width

Boycea
08-17-2005, 10:44 PM
I got quoted close to $4,000 to get the trailer floor rhino lined. Instead I got a gallon of garage floor paint to protect the floor. It resists oil and gas and has grit in it to help resist slipping.

Eclipse
08-17-2005, 11:48 PM
I got quoted close to $4,000 to get the trailer floor rhino lined. Instead I got a gallon of garage floor paint to protect the floor. It resists oil and gas and has grit in it to help resist slipping.

Wow!!! I paid less than $600 to have my 8x18 floor and 1' up on the walls Line-X'ed. It was a very good decision and if I ever purchase another enclosed trailer it will be one of the first things that I do.

Eclipse
08-17-2005, 11:51 PM
I'll be purchasing an enclosed trailer during the winter, and getting it setup for the '06 season. I'm a little hesitant on what width to buy, a 7 or 8 foot width. Length will be 18 foot. Any suggestions? Thanks.

I was asking myself the same question and I ended up with an 8'. I'm glad I have the extra width inside. 7' would get really cramped inside after you start hanging stuff on the walls.

Also mine is 18' and I wish it was 20'. It is a bit of a challenge to squeeze three mowers inside an 18'. I normally only have two with me anyway but the extra 2' would have been nice.

VnDrWLawnCare
08-18-2005, 11:59 PM
I have a 7X16 enclosed and would like to have a couple of things.

Get both side vents and a couple of roof vents
get at least 2 lights inside
walls built on 16" centers
of course the best walls possible- at least 3/8
if possible get the side door as large as possible and even consider making it a ramp for 21's or even a 36" to unload from side
Extra height is a must-even if you are not that tall

and depending on the length that you decide on, i would get an 8 footer next time. It does get crowded trying to walk inside with mowers and then trimmers hanging from the walls.

If i think of anything else i will let you know.

Eric

SouthernYankee
08-19-2005, 12:41 AM

that is ******ed, not even close....Let me put it to you this way, I know someone at the dealership that I bought my brand new truck at and I got it sprayed with lin-x for 270 at cost. To get it rhino lined for $4k is not even in the ballpark.