PDA

View Full Version : Dead Spots in Bermuda Grass

jota112402
08-03-2005, 11:29 PM
Greetings,

I live in Newnan, GA (30265), and just since my last mowing (a week ago), I have developed several spots of dead grass in my Bermuda grass. We have had a lot of rain this summer, so watering is not a problem. I have not noticed any grub activity with my own inspection, but I really am not sure what to be looking for, either... I was thinking maybe a fungus or some such? I am attaching pictures so you can see what is going on. Please let me know if anyone has any ideas, or has seen this before.

[I apologize if I have posted this to the wrong group...]

Thanks,

Jay De Leo

ThreeWide
08-04-2005, 08:00 AM
This does not immediately appear to be disease IMO.

When was the last time the lawn was fertilized? And exactly what was applied?

Your dead spots are mostly along the driveway in a single path. Just wondering if possibly fertilizer was over-applied.

br1dge
08-04-2005, 09:48 AM
I dont think it is a fungus either, most likely insects / grubs.

jota112402
08-04-2005, 11:22 AM
It has been since the beginning of Spring since I fertilized, so, I do not suspect the problem to be over-fertilization. I believe I applied Scott's turf Builder with Weed Control.

As I said in the original post, we have had plenty of rain, so I have not had to water additionally.

Before a week ago, I did not have this problem. I mowed the lawn last weekend, and these spots formed soon after.

Thank you for your help,

Jay De Leo

arborist-28
08-04-2005, 11:32 AM
did the customer have there drive pressure washed ...I've seen a few cases where muratic acid did this type of damage ...

Williams Services
08-04-2005, 12:15 PM
Looks like a chemical burn to me ...

ThreeWide
08-04-2005, 01:08 PM
did the customer have there drive pressure washed ...I've seen a few cases where muratic acid did this type of damage ...

Hmmmm....

His concrete driveway looks very clean in those photos.

jota112402
08-04-2005, 02:21 PM
I have not had my driveway pressure washed. Any other thoughts?

I'm still leaning toward either insects/grubs or a fungus...

Thank you,

Jay De Leo

arborist-28
08-04-2005, 02:31 PM
that's what I was thing too "turf" ..but I guess that isn't the case .. just doesn't look like a typical case of brown patch to me ..Most the time I find brown patch in fescue ... c

ThreeWide
08-04-2005, 03:34 PM
Sounds like a good time to utilize your Georgia Cooperative Extension Service. They have an office in every county of the state.

You might call your local office and have an agent diagnose your problem.

Either way, it sounds like you or someone needs to get a shovel and start checking for excessive grubs. The japenese beetles indeed have been laying eggs recently, so that could be your problem.

Might be a good idea to apply an insecticide targeting your grubs just in case. This is the best time of year to get them.

jota112402
08-04-2005, 03:53 PM
Thank you all for your assistance! It is greatly appreciated.

Jay De Leo

quiet
08-04-2005, 10:19 PM
Looks like a fungus to me. It looks like your mower spread it when you mowed while the fungus was active, but not apparent. Did you mow when it was slightly damp with dew?

Helminthosporium?

Decali
08-05-2005, 09:48 PM
The damage and the location looks like chinch bugs to me however they seem to be more of a problem in dry weather than the wet weather that you've been experiencing.

Your extension office could probably tell immediately what the problem is.

ed2hess
08-06-2005, 10:24 PM
This looks like it could be "sheeting" which is a term to describe the condition when grass is cut too short in the mid summer. Some bermuda grasses need to be cut short in the spring and then cut at the exact same short height constantly. If you let the grass get leggy it folds over itself and then when you cut the tips will not green up due to temp conditions. This happens in our area on Tiff Bermuda. The damage you show looks exactly like damage we see.

ThreeWide
08-07-2005, 09:06 AM
This looks like it could be "sheeting" which is a term to describe the condition when grass is cut too short in the mid summer. Some bermuda grasses need to be cut short in the spring and then cut at the exact same short height constantly. If you let the grass get leggy it folds over itself and then when you cut the tips will not green up due to temp conditions. This happens in our area on Tiff Bermuda. The damage you show looks exactly like damage we see.

I first thought the same thing. However you normally will see that in the entire lawn, not just spots along the driveway.

If he mowed one strip too low and then raised the height, this certainly would be the result.

But the condition you describe is very common, as the majority of lawns in my area show a lot of brown patches this time of year due to improper mowing.

ThreeWide
08-19-2005, 01:29 PM
Did you ever determine what the problem was?

Did the Bermuda come back?