PDA

View Full Version : first ever walkway.

northwest lawn
08-04-2005, 09:04 PM
first off we started tearing out the original concrete sidewalk which led into a 15'x15' limestone patio the sidwalk is roughly 3'x12' now that all that is torn out we have to use the old limestone to put in a walkway roughly 3'x40' we put down a 2' base of screenings and also have to put in two steps to reach their patio...just wondering what some would per hour to do this? does fourty per man hour sound right? or should i charge more...like i said earlier i have never done any hardscaping. all comments welcome

hollywood
08-05-2005, 06:01 PM
Your man hour charge should be whatever you need to charge to cover your expenses and be in your desired profit margin. If that is 40 dollars then chsrge as such. As for materials, we add a percentage to our cost to cover the time to pick up and deliver. This being your first hardscape install, I would not expect to go through this quickly. Take your time and pay attention to your slope. When building the steps make sure thay are up to code for your area. Generally, a tread is double the height of the riser. Calculate the rise an run beforehand so you have functional steps. The worst thing is to see steps that are not uniform or that have akward dimensions. I would use a restraint system also since this will be handking pedestrian traffic.

Good luck with your project.