PDA

View Full Version : Fall Clean-Up | Leaf Removal

nherweck
08-05-2005, 04:31 AM
OK....This if my first year providing leaf removal, and was wondering what the best way to do that is. I'm looking for something cost-effective, preferably in the 400 or less range. I'm also wondering about pricing...how much to charge for a typical 5000sq ft yard with 8-15 trees? Thanks.

Itsgottobegreen
08-05-2005, 03:25 PM
Your are going to need more than $400
backpack blower $450 to $600
Push blower-$500 to $1400
Truck loader -$2500 to $6000
Wood to make leaf box $200
Dump truck $30,000 to $50,000
Etc.

For under $400 a really big rake and tarp.

splatz100
08-05-2005, 06:00 PM
Im also thinking about doing a fall advertisement on this, what about those billy goat leaf vacs??

ed2hess
08-05-2005, 06:23 PM
We do a lot of leaf clean-up and still don't see the need for anything special beyond normal equipment used for commericial properties. We blow the leaves out into the yard run the mowers over them unitil they are dust. Pull in with the Scag Cougar or Walker, bag the remains for city recycle pick-up. Obviously if you leave the leaves build up for weeks then that is a different matter. All customers have grass cut on regular basis year round thus avoiding the big leave clean-up charges.

green thum
08-05-2005, 06:31 PM
I too was looking into a leaf vac but what ed said makes sense,it's just a matter of staying on top of it it not letting the leaves get to deep.

SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC
08-05-2005, 06:40 PM
Lets See...
Some Gator Blades For The Mower
A Few Tarps And Rakes
A Couple Strong Backpack Blowers
A Push Blower Or 2
A Vac System For The Rider
Dust Masks
A Place To Dump That Isnt Too Picky Or Pricey
What ABOUT Mounting A Truck Loader Vac On A Dump Trailer W/ Tall Sides And A Good Mesh Tarp To Haul The Leaves? The Lesco In Langhorne Pa Had A 16 Hp Truck Loader On Sale For 2500 As Of A Month Ago.........wanted To Unload It (brand New Last Year,never Used) Still Shrink Wrapped And Up On A Shelf.

splatz100
08-05-2005, 06:42 PM
But what about the ones that didnt use me for lawn care and need leaves cleaned up

I thought about running an ad like Tired of seeing leaves or something like that, I think I would get some calls because I know how everyone hates leaves

Mark McC
08-05-2005, 06:43 PM
Your are going to need more than $400
backpack blower $450 to $600
Push blower-$500 to $1400
Truck loader -$2500 to $6000
Wood to make leaf box $200
Dump truck $30,000 to $50,000
Etc.

For under $400 a really big rake and tarp.

Well, this reply kinda makes a point in a roundabout way, but it's really not all that helpful.

The answer to this question is, as always, as follows: How much business do you want to do, how much can you reasonably expect to do, and what kind of equipment do you need to pull it off?

I have a Redmax 8000 already, which is great for leafwork. Cost me about $530 plus tax last year. This year I'll add a large-capacity catcher for my 52" walkbehind. I expect that'll set me back around $500.

Take a look at your client list, take a look at the folks who live near them and figure out how much business you might drum up. Figure out also how many days a week you can expect to get rained out. If you can flesh out a picture of how much you can pull in, you'll have a much better picture of how much you should invest.

Meg-Mo
08-05-2005, 06:45 PM
Put the MEG MO blades on your mowers and end up getting 15 to20 gals. of leaves per prop. Not allot of money to make allot.

Mark McC
08-05-2005, 06:52 PM
Put the MEG MO blades on your mowers and end up getting 15 to20 gals. of leaves per prop. Not allot of money to make allot.
I was wondering when you'd show up. What took you so long?

Nothing personal, but you really ought to work on your spelling, Roy!

Andersonlawnscape
08-05-2005, 06:55 PM
This isn't the fastest way to do leaf clean ups but it is reasonably fast and easy on the budget. I am assuming that you already have a decent back pack blower and a nice commercial mower. What I did when I first started was buy an accelerator grass catcher. When I showed up to the property I would blow all of the beds out into the grass. I would mow the leaves up really fine I usually made 3-4 passes. My first pass I would leave my ocdc open unless I was near a bed. Then my next 2-3 passes I would close the ocdc and chop them up even finer. After that I would give the beds a quick blow out and the put the accelerator on and go to work. Now you can bag the leaves but that gets to be a pain. I have to trailers a 16' and a 10' that I started out with. What I did come fall clean up time was take the 16' and set it up where I could put one mower on it and use the rest of the area to dump what the accelerator picked up. You can also bag the leaves, leave them on the property or charge extra to haul off. Just an idea that could work for you.

Itsgottobegreen
08-05-2005, 11:51 PM
Well, this reply kinda makes a point in a roundabout way, but it's really not all that helpful..
Well you can just keep your comments to yourself buddy. :angry: :realmad: I was making the point its going to cost more than $400 for leave season equipment. We do a lot of clean ups. And thats what we have in equipment to do so.

macaw
08-07-2005, 10:04 AM
Get a Cyclone Rake I use one hooked to a riding mower make one pass and there
all picked up no matter how thick they are then I go around all the beds with the pickup hose if the city dose not have leaf pickup I have the uploader hose and this turns the Cyclone into a truck loader.

Mark McC
08-07-2005, 11:55 AM
Well you can just keep your comments to yourself buddy. :angry: :realmad: I was making the point its going to cost more than $400 for leave season equipment. We do a lot of clean ups. And thats what we have in equipment to do so.
I wasn't trying to give you grief, just trying to point out that this all-or-nothing post was not all that helpful. A little more info from someone of your experience would have been a help to the operator who started this thread. Couldn't you have offered a little more detail?