PDA

View Full Version : Drive belt system question.......

Vibe Ray
03-08-2001, 10:24 PM
The big Lazer uses a mule drive system to run the deck, the Lazer HP uses a single-plane drive belt.
Could some one please explain these? What are they and what are the differences. I have heard the term before, but I am not sure what they are......What are the pros and cons of each?

joshua
03-08-2001, 10:30 PM
i looked in the exmark book, it doesn't say a thing. ask your dealer or email exmark at exmark.com. i had a question before and emailed them, they wrote me back the next day with every detail i wanted to know. good luck all the advice i can give you.

Vibe Ray
03-09-2001, 08:11 PM
Anyone here at LS know?

Evan528
03-09-2001, 08:11 PM
A mule drive belt system is used on horizonal engines (wich the full size lazer has). Since the drive shaft is horizonal the belt going from it to the deck has to make a 90 degree turn. I have a z master with the mule belt and have not had a single problem with it! The lazer hp's have a verticle engine so the drive shaft is on the bottom... all it take is a belt to go straight to the deck... no turns. I hope this cleared it up for you a little!

Vibe Ray
03-09-2001, 09:04 PM
Thank you. That does help Evan. Any comments on this topic?

Also what is up with the new dual mule drive belt system for the Lazer XP? What difference would this make?

LWNMWRMN
03-10-2001, 03:56 PM
the lazer xp uses dual mule drive belts for a couple of reasons, first, it is a horz. engine. the second, is that exmark wanted to keep the engine as low to the ground as possible and the 5/8" belt that's on the lazer would not make that turn in a shorter distance, but a 1/2" belt would, but a 1/2" belt would only run about 25 h.p. So the only thing that they could do is to use two belts.

Vibe Ray
03-10-2001, 04:14 PM
Thanx Lawnmower man!