PDA

View Full Version : What is the best home-made way to balance a blade?

Vibe Ray
03-08-2001, 10:28 PM
What is the best home-made way to balance a blade? And the most accurate....?

Eric ELM
03-08-2001, 10:47 PM
This one on this thread is one I made and it works great. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=869

mowingmachine
03-09-2001, 01:29 AM
Put a nail in the wall and hang your blade horizontally. Whichever direction it drops is the heavy side. It's as simple as that. Hope this helps.
mowingmachine

HOMER
03-09-2001, 06:01 AM
Or better yet you could spend $2.50 on a plastic blade balancer like I did! It ain.t rocket science.

TJLC
03-09-2001, 07:39 AM
I've heard hanging it on a nail is proballly the WORST way to check for balance. I use the plastic cone type and it seems to work well. I am going to try Eric's way also. It sounds interesting.

KirbysLawn
03-09-2001, 08:12 AM
The best way: Get in your car, drive to the Home Cheapo and buy one for $2.50.

Scraper
03-09-2001, 08:39 AM
I command my dog to sit, then tilt his head back and place it on his snout. Works for me! ;)

Could not resist...sorry!

Richard Martin
03-09-2001, 10:05 AM
Hmmm... Interesting Scraper. But, if you had a Border Collie like I do you could just let him balance <i>and</i> sharpen the blades for you. :-)

Ricky
03-09-2001, 02:38 PM
I balanced my blades on a nail, a screwdriver, and the cone type balancer. I got them the best I could get them.

Then I made one out of a bearing like Eric said, then checked them. WOW what a deference. These blades were way out. The best balancer for the money.

Learned it here on Lawn Site. Thanks guys.

On the spindles for DC's they don't even have a keyway in them. My dealer says that it causes imbalance that shortens bearing life. If it is that critical on the center part of the blade, wouldn't it be made worse out on the end of a blade?

eggy
03-09-2001, 05:35 PM
Like Homer said go get a blade balencer...a metal one might set you back $ 3.00 it works well.

awm
03-09-2001, 05:54 PM
put your nail up .tie a string around it close to bottum
lubricate nail.blade will find true center as it slides to the string stop.nail should have slight angle so blade will slide down

Vibe Ray
03-09-2001, 09:08 PM
Eric, could you post a link to the thread where AB Lawn Care Explained how to make his blade balancer? I have tried to find it without luck yet. You mentioned in the thread you have just posted that you improved AB's design and how, but not what the original design was. Appreciate it!

Ssouth
03-09-2001, 09:11 PM
Eric, also I am not exactly sure how you manufactured you balancer. The princilple I understand, I just do not understand what size bearing and why you two of them. Basically, I am confused about the set up.
Thanks in advance,

Ssouth

Eric ELM
03-09-2001, 09:21 PM
Vibe Ray, he posted he had done this with bearings and had mounted it to a wall, if I remember right.

SSouth, the reason I used two is, with one the blade wanted to tip. I only used one 1/4 inch thick, the widest I could find, so I got a second bearing, now it stays on good. The size bearing I used for my 5/8 inch holed blades is 5/8 inch outside diameter and 1/4 inch inside diameter. I bolted it to my grinder with a 1/4 inch bolt.
Hope this helps
Eric

Vibe Ray
03-09-2001, 09:30 PM
Unlike Ssouth, I am lost. Could you please explain it from the beginning? Thanx!

Eric ELM
03-09-2001, 09:41 PM
In the post here: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=869 I told the materials, but didn't give the bearing size. The one I built is for a blade with a 5/8 inch in it. If you have a different sized blade hole, you need a different sized bearing. The actual balancer is at the bottom of the picture. You could us 1/4 inch lag bolts and mount it on a wall too.

Jason Pallas
03-10-2001, 07:45 PM
Eric, I'd like to try to build one of these. But, I'm still a little unclear as to how to go about it (the picture on the thread didn't really give a good view of the contstruction). Any further advice / instruction/ pictures would be greatly appreciated.
I've been using the cone style for years - but I've read here on LS about the bearing style balancers and how much more accurate they are. I'd really like to try to build one (instead of shelling out $165). I'm pretty good at fab work - I just need some more info thanks.

Eric ELM
03-10-2001, 08:06 PM
I used a 1/4 inch bolt about 2 1/2 inches long, I first put the two 5/8 od by 1/4 id bearings on the bolt followed by a washer that is bigger than the bearings and then a 1/4 inch nut. The washer is to keep the blade from going on to far and slipping off the back. Snug up the nut to keep the bearings tight together. I then put on another 1/4 inch nut and turned it on far enough to let the bolt go through the thickness of what your attaching it to plus the thickness of a nut. You then put what is left through a hole in the grinder or what ever you want to mount it to and then put on another 1/4 inch nut and your ready to balance your blades. The reason I went with a nut on each side of where it mounts to my grinder is to get the bearings out away from the grinder a bit. You wouldn't have to do that part and eliminate one nut. Does this explain it? If not, I will take a better picture.

Jason Pallas
03-10-2001, 08:12 PM
Thanks Eric - I'm gonna print that out and work on it tommorrow. Much clearer now! Thnks again - let you know if I need more info.

Ssouth
03-10-2001, 09:31 PM
Eric, thanks you I now understand completely, The two bearings was throwing me off, I now understand that one bearing is not wided enough. I will be making one this next week.

Thank you, You Are the Master of Blades. LOL.