PDA

View Full Version : Retaining wall with limited access

Electra_Glide
08-05-2005, 02:54 PM
Guys (and gals),

Got a call from a customer for a retaining wall. Pretty straightforward, but she lives in a "middle" unit in a row of townhouses, with no access from the rear. I'm faced with having to move material from the street, around the end of the townhouse units, then through several other peoples' "backyards" to the site. I put backyards in quotes because it's really just a narrow strip of grass between the patios and the hillside, maybe 10' across.

I'm looking for suggestions about the best way to get material back there (couple hundred SRW block, and 6-8 tons of base and drain material) without tearing up everybody's lawn. Best thing I could come up with so far is a compact backhoe, since I need something to dig the base, but maybe somebody has a better idea.

Thanks in advance...

Joe

greywynd
08-05-2005, 03:02 PM
A few years ago I did the digging for a foundation repair on a place like this...the customer was looking after the gravel....they ended up having it dumped in the driveway and carrying it through the house by the bucketfull. I had to give them an A++ for effort.

Before doing anything, go and talk to all of the neighbours and make sure they are ok with what you are doing....if one says no, you're outta luck....maybe some of them might want work done....maybe you can make this into a good deal for you and them...

Dirty Water
08-05-2005, 09:28 PM
Whats the smallest rock you can pump through a concrete pump?

http://www.nationalcranehire.ie/gallery_full/Concrete-Pump-Work-2.jpg

I'm not sure if you actually have to use concrete. I'm guessing that it would pump wet rock just fine.

Call your concrete companys.

Also ask about an Agracat, and see if that would be possible.

neversatisfiedj
08-05-2005, 11:11 PM
I have had 2 walls with no access. Lots of uummph . My arms are growing every year !

greywynd
08-06-2005, 12:41 AM
Whats the smallest rock you can pump through a concrete pump?

I'm not sure if you actually have to use concrete. I'm guessing that it would pump wet rock just fine.

Call your concrete companys.

Also ask about an Agracat, and see if that would be possible.

I would have to think that it would have to be very wet...to the point where it would be a slurry almost....I think the pump would require the liquid to be able to pressurize it (more of a hydraulic action than an actual pumping action.) It would be interesting to know though.

Depnding on the layout...(what's on the top of the hill), maybe build a chute and slide it down that way? We did that recently where we had to get a couple yards of concrete down the bottom of a steep hill, we used some old roofing steel in a 'v' shape, with wood 2x4's and 2x6's supporting it. Had them add some extra water to the concrete, and it ran right down the chute, just had to run a shovel down it a couple times to clean it out at the end.
Maybe a couple pictures of the site might give someone some ideas?

orionkf
08-07-2005, 12:37 AM
What about some sort of conveyor system?? I've seen them on a paver tool website, maybe probst, but not sure. Maybe they could be rented somewhere. Build boxes for the rock, or use 5 gal buckets, trash cans, something like that.

I know around here they have "slinger" trucks. Not sure what the real name is, but basically they have a conveyor belt built into the truck. Might not get it far enough for you though.

Let us know what you decide to do.

Dirty Water
08-07-2005, 02:34 AM
I know around here they have "slinger" trucks. Not sure what the real name is, but basically they have a conveyor belt built into the truck. Might not get it far enough for you though.

Real name is "agracat". That is what I was talking about in my previous post. I used to use them to backfill footings etc in the concrete industry.

Heres a picture:

http://www.bay-lynx.com/images/agracat1.jpg

http://www.bay-lynx.com/images/agraac1.jpg

greywynd
08-07-2005, 12:25 PM
I was into one of our masonry supply places yesterday, they have stone/gravel etc. in 'baskets' sitting on pallets, depending on the reach etc, maybe something like that with a large boom truck or crane and hoist it in? I'm sure you'd pay more for the material that way, but if you can get it into place, it might be well worth it.

Around here the 'Agracat's' are generally called stone slingers, I'll often get them in to deliver stone/gravel, had one deliver a batch of gravel last week for the base of a stone patio, an extra $100 for the slinger versus just having it dumped, and no wheelbarrow work to do. A bit of final grading, some raking, ready to go. (One of the things I often do that allows me to work solo, otherwise I'd have to have helpers for a lot of that sort of work.)