PDA

View Full Version : Spraying in evergreens

joe2106
08-06-2005, 08:46 AM
I have a commercial property that has always been just a mowing account, but wants to spray weeds now in the evergreen bed. Is there a chemical that can safely do this w/o harming the evergreens (low growing)? It looks like crap and it would take 2 days to pull everything and it will be right back.

Let me know if anything would work. yes, I'm certified.

Joe

arborist-28
08-06-2005, 08:53 AM
in cases like you mention I cover the plant with plastic bag and round up ... c

joe2106
08-06-2005, 09:44 AM
I guess I didn't describe the situation well enough. The entire side of a building, about 10,000 sq ft is covered in low growing evergreens, and weeds are coming up in between. There really is no way to cover anything.

Ric
08-06-2005, 10:09 AM
in cases like you mention I cover the plant with plastic bag and round up ... c

Arborist

You impress me as a knowledgeable person. I am surprised that you don't do over the top herbicide. Yes it take several different applications of different herbicides.

SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC
08-06-2005, 11:34 AM
The Over The Top Apps Can Be Tricky...........especially The Weed Killers. Pre Em Arent That Bad And Are Relatively Safe To Do For The Ground Cover.

bushtrimmer
08-06-2005, 01:14 PM
The Over The Top Apps Can Be Tricky...........especially The Weed Killers. Pre Em Arent That Bad And Are Relatively Safe To Do For The Ground Cover.

What the h___ is this? How is an over the top application 'tricky'?
He is right... pre em aren't bad... whatever good that would do for existing weeds.
Showcase, what kind of work do you do?

GrazerZ
08-06-2005, 07:15 PM
Fusalide II. also Im told that half rate roundup over rug junipers is ok in the fall. Never done it myself. Also sell them on applications of snapshot. If you are responsible for the weeding, you should invest in it yourself. You need a liscence to apply these of course. hope this helps. :)

Ric
08-07-2005, 03:38 AM
Fusalide II. also Im told that half rate roundup over rug junipers is ok in the fall. Never done it myself. Also sell them on applications of snapshot. If you are responsible for the weeding, you should invest in it yourself. You need a liscence to apply these of course. hope this helps. :)

Grazer

I wouldn't try Roundup over Junipers at 1/10 rate. They are very susceptible to roundup. Try Fusalide and Manage on two seperate applications, days apart.

LwnmwrMan22
08-07-2005, 10:50 AM
I made an app of Fusilade over a bed of Hostas about a month ago.

The grassy weeds are just dying out now.

I had a post on this before, and someone made mention that Fusilade WILL take a while to work.

I'm just letting Joe know that if the customer wants immediate results, that Fusilade is not the way to go. However, if you can spray and wait, then it will work for you.

Williams Services
08-07-2005, 10:53 AM
Seems to me we need to know, first, what the evergreen is (juniper?) and what type(s) of weeds we're dealing with. (Grassy, broadleaf?)

If it is juniper, then you could indeed use Fusilade II for the grassy weeds, and if you have nustedge in there some manage on that.

If, on the other hand, it's broadleaf weeds inside of juniper, then what you want is Lontrel.

joe2106
08-07-2005, 11:28 PM
Thanks for the great help!
The evergreens are rug junipers and they have mostly grassy weeds, but some other randoms too. I'm sure quick results are what is wanted b/c the building is in the process of being leased and has to look great until its leased then I'm sure they will go back to not caring anymore. Anyway, I will check into getting some of the chems reccommended. I wanted to ck the experts advice before spraying a low dose of roundup and killing pry 300 junipers right in the heart of where I do a majority of my business.
Thanks again,
Joe

Williams Services
08-07-2005, 11:39 PM
Don't faint when you see the price of lontrel ...

GrazerZ
08-08-2005, 12:05 AM
Grazer

I wouldn't try Roundup over Junipers at 1/10 rate. They are very susceptible to roundup. Try Fusalide and Manage on two seperate applications, days apart.

Like I said, I have never done it, but a well respected owner of acres of field grown shrubs, told me thats what he does in the fall.

Ric
08-08-2005, 01:11 AM
Like I said, I have never done it, but a well respected owner of acres of field grown shrubs, told me thats what he does in the fall.

GrazerZ

Looking at your location and the fact in the fall jumpier go dormant. I think fall spraying of Roundup would work fine. But Since I am in a year round growing area I would never of even guessed that it would work for me.