PDA

View Full Version : killing poison ivy.


gil
08-06-2005, 11:52 AM
I have tried vinegar with little results. Does anybody know any other tricks that will do the job? (I could pull them off as a last resort)

yardmonkey
08-06-2005, 02:33 PM
I used to carry Roundup just to use on poison ivy. But then I got to where I found it to be faster, easier, and more effective to just pull it up. Of course you need to be a little bit careful, like wear gloves and a long-sleeved shirt. If you are super-sensitive to it, better to have someone else mess with it. I haven't dealt with it much for a while, just the occasional bit in a customers yard. But I have pulled up quite a bit of it in the past. And I used to just always have a bit of it on my arms through most of the summer, but not ever any big problem with it like when I was a kid. It can be useful to carry some Technu for washing up after contact with poison ivy. And a useful trick for the itch is to run really hot water on the affected area for a few seconds. It will feel good briefly and the itch will be gone for about 6 hours, as the histamines in the skin have been depleted. A search on Lawnsite will reveal lots of past discussions on poison ivy. The basic organic remedy for most weeds - just pull them.

kthhayes
08-06-2005, 08:37 PM
Try mixing 1 Gal vinigar 1 cup of salt and 8 TBS dish soap. Mix the soap by slowly agitating at the very end, after the salt is fully disolved. Spray it on every week on any green you see, it takes time for the roots to give their energy, but it will work.

scagwildcat
08-06-2005, 11:39 PM
What i do, that works for me, and costs $1, clorox bleach!!! works great,
spray it on when its really hot out, in a few days you will see it die down,
two years ago i had so much ivy around my shop, and i used the bleach it killed it in about a week, then last year i did it again, this year, ivy is no longer a problem!!!!! if you want you can also cut it down to 50/50 water but i dont.... hope that helps

turfmann
08-07-2005, 08:58 AM
(I know this is going to get me in trouble...)

I can understand, sympathize, even agree with the pesticide-free approach most of the time, but Poison Ivy is not a joke. When I was a kid, my neighbor was burning brush that contained Poison Ivy. His kid, probably five or six, was helping him, got in the smoke. The smoke had the toxin in it and he got it in his throat. He nearly died.

As far as advocating the (mis)use of Clorox (6% Sodium Hypochlorite - a chemical) which is not labeled for use in the landscape, never mind Poison Ivy, is simply irresponsible. I have heard of people using other liquids such as gasoline to control it.

Whenever I have the misfortune of getting into Poison Ivy I break out all over and normally go through two courses of steroids (a chemical) to get over it. It is past miserable. The organic remedy of pulling the plants is not an option for me and quite frankly I don't want my kids to be around this plant. So when I weigh all of the options, an application of roundup is far less risky for me, my kids and the environment. (I am afraid that all of those steroids I have been taking are going to keep me out of the Landscaping Hall of Fame)

Pesticides are tools, tools to be used carefully and judiciously. Even if you choose to be organic, which is great, there are times when the organic option is not the best one.

I don't mean to stir up a hornet's nest and I hope you'll take my comments in the respectful manner that I intend.

arborist-28
08-07-2005, 09:07 AM
lot easier to just spray some roundup on it round up is safe and effectively kills poison Ivy ... I've used products like ivy block when messin with Poison Ivy they work great .. It's the oil from the leaf that when unwashed after 1-3 hours forms the blisters .. so if your in reach of a shower pond river and you don't want the itch wash off after coming in contact with it ...c

NattyLawn
08-07-2005, 09:16 AM
Check this product out...My company sells it, but this is the only link on the web I found...

http://www.bluegrassorganic.com/store/viewItem.asp?idproduct=46

dmhemeyer
08-07-2005, 07:00 PM
Diesel fuel works great too if you have a large area. Not nearly as flammable as gasoline and alot cheaper than Roundup (which DOES do a good job). We had a tree that was covered with it. My wife is not allergic to it so she pulled the vines down to the ground where I could pull them out with a tined hoe and dispose of them. Then when new growth would come up I used Roundup. After 2 years it has been totally eliminated.

Dave

Baseballer1100
08-08-2005, 01:29 PM
i believe roundup has a special forumula especially for poison ivy.

cedarcroft
08-31-2005, 07:56 PM
as a side note, a great way to insure you don't break out with PI, is wash up with softscrub immediatly after contact. I keep a small bottle in my truck and we wash/scrub with it any time we pull weeds or any suspect vines.
thats my tip of the day: softscrub in the truck.

Norm_2
09-10-2005, 05:43 PM
muriatic acid will kill it in one shot. just soak the gound around the base of the stem.

Michaelh
09-11-2005, 06:05 PM
keep some Tecnu poison oak cleaner on hand, no matter what. It really does work. The US Forest Service buys it by the gallon.